NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

The Vegas Golden Knights signed defenseman Zach Whitecloud to a six-year, $16.5-million contract extension, the team announced Thursday.

The 24-year-old was set to become a restricted free agent following the 2021-22 campaign.

Whitecloud signed with Vegas in 2018 after finishing his collegiate career at Bemidji State. He's appeared in 72 contests for the Golden Knights and registered career highs in games (51), points (12), and average ice time (17:49) last season.

Whitecloud is currently on injured reserve as he recovers from an upper-body injury.

and Toews ...

“To me, Stan and Al, make any argument you want, they’re not directly complicit in the activities that happened,” Toews said after Wednesday’s game. “It’s not up to me to comment on whether they’d like to deal with it differently or not. I just know them as people and I’ve had a relationship and friendship with them for a long time as being part of the Blackhawks family. People like Al and Stan have made coming to the Blackhawks for players around the league, who come here to play on this team, one of the special places to play hockey. To me, I have a ton of respect for them as people.

Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff will meet with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Friday in New York to discuss his involvement in the Chicago Blackhawks' mishandling of an alleged sexual assault in 2010, the team confirmed to TSN's Darren Dreger.

The meeting was originally supposed to take place Monday, but Cheveldayoff requested it be moved up.

An independent investigation found that Cheveldayoff - who was an assistant GM with the Blackhawks at the time - took part in a May 2010 meeting in which team executives were informed that former video coach Brad Aldrich had behaved in a sexually inappropriate way toward a player, later revealed to be Kyle Beach.

However, per the investigation, the franchise didn't act on that information until reporting it to human resources three weeks later, days after the team won the Stanley Cup.

Florida Panthers head coach Joel Quenneville - who was also deemed to be part of the meeting - met with Bettman on Thursday afternoon. The details of that meeting aren't yet known, but Panthers GM Bill Zito and team president Matt Caldwell were in attendance, according to ESPN's Emily Kaplan.

Cheveldayoff has been the Jets' GM since 2011 when he left the Blackhawks after two seasons with the club.

More like he was told to am-i-right or am-i-right?

Joel Quenneville has resigned as head coach of the Florida Panthers, the team announced Thursday.

The news comes after Quenneville met with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman earlier Thursday to discuss his involvement in the Chicago Blackhawks' mishandling of an alleged sexual assault in 2010, when Quenneville was Chicago's head coach.

Andrew Brunette will serve as Florida's interim head coach, reports TSN's Pierre LeBrun.

The 63-year-old Quenneville released the following statement:

"I want to express my sorrow for the pain this young man, Kyle Beach, has suffered," Quenneville said. "My former team, the Blackhawks, failed Kyle, and I own my share of that.

"I want to reflect on how all of this happened and take the time to educate myself on ensuring hockey spaces are safe for everyone."

Bettman also released a statement, saying Quenneville will face no further discipline. He added that if Quenneville ever wishes to re-enter the NHL, he'd first need to have a meeting with the commissioner.

"The National Hockey League agrees with the decision tonight by Joel Quenneville to resign his duties as head coach of the Florida Panthers," Bettman said. "In his former role as Chicago Blackhawks head coach, Mr. Quenneville was among several former members of the club's senior leadership group who mishandled the 2010 sexual assault claim by former player Kyle Beach against the club's then-video coach, Brad Aldrich."

He continued: "I admire Kyle Beach for his courage in coming forward, am appalled that he was so poorly supported upon making his initial claim and in the 11 years since, and am sorry for all he has endured."

An independent investigation found that Quenneville was involved in a May 2010 meeting in which multiple team executives were informed that Aldrich acted in a sexually inappropriate way toward a player, later revealed to be Beach.

However, per the investigation, the franchise didn't act on that information until reporting it to human resources three weeks later, days after the team won the Stanley Cup.

Quenneville has said on multiple occasions that he was unaware of the allegations until he learned of them through the media.

Quenneville coached the Blackhawks beginning in 2008 until he was fired during the 2018-19 season. He was behind the bench during the club's three Stanley Cup victories.

The Panthers hired Quenneville in 2019. He was in the midst of his third season with Florida.

Chicago Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz wrote a letter to Hockey Hall of Fame chairman Lanny McDonald asking for Brad Aldrich's name to be removed from the Stanley Cup, according to ESPN's Emily Kaplan.

An independent investigation revealed Aldrich, a former video coach with the Blackhawks, acted in a sexually inappropriate way toward a player during the club's 2010 playoff run. Kyle Beach revealed himself as the player earlier this week.

"Aldrich's involvement with the team during the 2010 season has cast a pall on the players' extraordinary work that year," Wirtz's letter reads. "The names of some of hockey's most talented athletes appear on the Stanley Cup. But so does the name 'Brad Aldrich' whose role as video coach made him eligible for engraving. His conduct disqualified him, however, and it was a mistake to submit his name. We are sorry we allowed it to happen."

It continues, "The Stanley Cup is an evolving piece of art. It always has been. Names have been engraved and then changed for years. Taking a stand on the unforgivable behavior of Aldrich should include erasing his name from the Cup."

Blackhawks executives were informed of Aldrich's behavior in May 2010 while the club was in the Western Conference Final, according to the investigation. The organization didn't take action until reporting it to human resources after it won the Stanley Cup the following month.

The investigation's findings led Chicago general manager Stan Bowman and senior vice president of hockey operations Al MacIsaac to step down. Joel Quenneville, the Blackhawks' head coach at the time, resigned from his post with the Florida Panthers on Thursday due to his involvement in the handling of Beach's allegations at the time.

The Toronto Maple Leafs signed defenseman Morgan Rielly to an eight-year contract extension with an average annual value of $7.5 million, the team announced Friday.

Rielly was scheduled for unrestricted free agency at season's end.

The 27-year-old has spent his entire career with the Leafs since being taken with the No. 5 pick in the 2012 draft. He's accrued 309 points in 580 games with Toronto.

Rielly is also the longest-serving member of the club.

The Toronto Maple Leafs signed defenseman Morgan Rielly to an eight-year contract extension with an average annual value of $7.5 million, the team announced Friday.

Rielly was scheduled for unrestricted free agency at season's end.

The 27-year-old has spent his entire career with the Leafs since being taken with the No. 5 pick in the 2012 draft. He's accrued 309 points in 580 games with Toronto.

Rielly is also the longest-serving member of the club.
Probably not going to age the best but fuck it, Rielly's been around forever and deserves it. Go for it now while we've got the rest of the key guys locked up. Compared to a lot of the defenceman contracts from this past summer, it also looks really good.

The NHL won't discipline Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff for his involvement in the Chicago Blackhawks' mishandling of an alleged sexual assault in 2010, the league announced Friday.

Cheveldayoff, an assistant GM with Chicago during the 2009-10 season, met with commissioner Gary Bettman on Friday. The league concluded that Cheveldayoff wasn't responsible for how the Blackhawks handled the matter related to former video coach Brad Aldrich.

"While on some level, it would be easiest to paint everyone with any association to this terrible matter with the same broad brush, I believe that fundamental fairness requires a more in-depth analysis of the role of each person," Bettman said.

"Kevin Cheveldayoff was not a member of the Blackhawks senior leadership team in 2010, and I cannot, therefore, assign to him responsibility for the club's actions, or inactions. He provided a full account of his degree of involvement in the matter, which was limited exclusively to his attendance at a single meeting, and I found him to be extremely forthcoming and credible in our discussion."

An independent investigation found Cheveldayoff was involved in a May 2010 meeting in which team executives were made aware Aldrich behaved in a sexually inappropriate way toward a player, later revealed to be Kyle Beach.

According to the report, former Blackhawks CEO John McDonough, then-general manager Stan Bowman, and then-head coach Joel Quenneville were present at the meeting. Bowman and Quenneville, who went on to coach the Florida Panthers in 2019, resigned from their positions this week.

The Blackhawks didn't report the allegations against Aldrich to human resources until after they had won the Stanley Cup the following month, per the investigation.

Cheveldayoff took over as Jets general manager in 2011.

The NHL won't discipline Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff for his involvement in the Chicago Blackhawks' mishandling of an alleged sexual assault in 2010, the league announced Friday.

Cheveldayoff, an assistant GM with Chicago during the 2009-10 season, met with commissioner Gary Bettman on Friday. The league concluded that Cheveldayoff wasn't responsible for how the Blackhawks handled the matter related to former video coach Brad Aldrich.

"While on some level, it would be easiest to paint everyone with any association to this terrible matter with the same broad brush, I believe that fundamental fairness requires a more in-depth analysis of the role of each person," Bettman said.

"Kevin Cheveldayoff was not a member of the Blackhawks senior leadership team in 2010, and I cannot, therefore, assign to him responsibility for the club's actions, or inactions. He provided a full account of his degree of involvement in the matter, which was limited exclusively to his attendance at a single meeting, and I found him to be extremely forthcoming and credible in our discussion."

An independent investigation found Cheveldayoff was involved in a May 2010 meeting in which team executives were made aware Aldrich behaved in a sexually inappropriate way toward a player, later revealed to be Kyle Beach.

According to the report, former Blackhawks CEO John McDonough, then-general manager Stan Bowman, and then-head coach Joel Quenneville were present at the meeting. Bowman and Quenneville, who went on to coach the Florida Panthers in 2019, resigned from their positions this week.

The Blackhawks didn't report the allegations against Aldrich to human resources until after they had won the Stanley Cup the following month, per the investigation.

Cheveldayoff took over as Jets general manager in 2011.
Pathetic. This fucking league, man.

Back