NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Wirtz says no executive that was there in 2010 will be with the team, and Bettman says anyone affiliated with that management team (McDonough, MacIsaac, Bowman, Bunk, et al) that wants to work in any capacity in the league is going to require a meeting with him before it’s allowed, and may come with further punishment.

Edit: here’s the TSN story that sums it up and has a link to the report if that’s your thing. Chicago Blackhawks Stan Bowman steps down - TSN.ca

Edit edit: Looks like Bettman wants a meeting with Coach Q and his (then) assistant too, so there might be more to come there. Kevin Cheveldayoff Joel Quenneville Chicago Blackhawks report - TSN.ca

Last edited:
Wirtz says no executive that was there in 2010 will be with the team, and Bettman says anyone affiliated with that management team (McDonough, MacIsaac, Bowman, Bunk, et al) that wants to work in any capacity in the league is going to require a meeting with him before it’s allowed, and may come with further punishment.

Edit: here’s the TSN story that sums it up and has a link to the report if that’s your thing. Chicago Blackhawks Stan Bowman steps down - TSN.ca

Edit edit: Looks like Bettman wants a meeting with Coach Q and his (then) assistant too, so there might be more to come there. Kevin Cheveldayoff Joel Quenneville Chicago Blackhawks report - TSN.ca
Hopefully Bettman does something and isn’t simply virtue signaling. Whatever accomplishments Quenneville has should not exempt him for facing full accountability.

So Shea Weber news. @Twentytwo

He's currently in the team entourage during their stop in Seattle, hanging out with the players. Drouin essentially let it slip in an interview that Shea is pretty much retired and doing some scouting work for the team. The Habs are not confirming anything. Weber has not filled out the official paper work and maybe there is still some sliver of hope for a return, but it's looking more and more like this is it. Reason this is a big deal is the contract situation. The Habs would be on the hook for a few hundred grands on the cap. But the Preds would have a massive penalty. Maybe Weber doesn't want to officialize anything to avoid hurting his teams.

Ovechkin might be breaking Gretzky’s records, but let’s all agree he’s 100% not Gretzky and *might* be suitable to carry his towel by the end of his career.

In my biased young, American, Caps fan opinion Gretzky is the greatest hockey player of all time by a long shot, but Ovi is the greatest goal scorer of all time.

The Vegas Golden Knights have engaged in further trade talks with the Buffalo Sabres over the last three-to-five days for star Jack Eichel, reports Daily Faceoff's Frank Seravalli.

Vegas currently has $6.4 million in cap space, per CapFriendly, although forwards Max Pacioretty and Alex Tuch are on long-term injured reserve. The Sabres reportedly aren't interested in retaining any of Eichel's salary in a trade.

A potential Eichel deal has been looming for months, but nothing has seemingly come close to fruition. Eichel is still waiting to undergo neck surgery and would likely not be available to play until closer to the end of the season if he can hit the ice at all.

The Golden Knights own a 1-4-0 record and sit at the bottom of the Pacific Division. Vegas has had a bad run of injuries so far, with Pacioretty sidelined for several weeks and captain Mark Stone out for an undetermined amount of time.

The Golden Knights own their first- and second-round picks for the next three drafts. Their young talent is highlighted by players like Peyton Krebs and Nicolas Hague.

So Shea Weber news. @Twentytwo

He's currently in the team entourage during their stop in Seattle, hanging out with the players. Drouin essentially let it slip in an interview that Shea is pretty much retired and doing some scouting work for the team. The Habs are not confirming anything. Weber has not filled out the official paper work and maybe there is still some sliver of hope for a return, but it's looking more and more like this is it. Reason this is a big deal is the contract situation. The Habs would be on the hook for a few hundred grands on the cap. But the Preds would have a massive penalty. Maybe Weber doesn't want to officialize anything to avoid hurting his teams.

I have a hard time believing that he doesn't got on LTIR, which would save the Preds. His situation is no different than Pronger or Hossa in my opinion.

I have a hard time believing that he doesn't got on LTIR, which would save the Preds. His situation is no different than Pronger or Hossa in my opinion.

Weber is a team player, so it wouldn't surprise me he rides it out on LTIR. Even if it's small compared to the Preds, the move also saves some cash on the cap for the Habs. Plus, there's no ill will between Weber and the Preds, or the Habs with the Preds. If this was the Canes though.... ;).

Florida Panthers head coach Joel Quenneville will meet with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to discuss his involvement in the Chicago Blackhawks' mishandling of an alleged sexual assault in 2010, the coach confirmed Wednesday, according to the Boston Globe's Matt Porter.

The meeting will take place Thursday in New York.

Quenneville coached the Blackhawks from 2008-18. He said in July that he'd first learned of the allegations against former video coach Brad Aldrich through media reporting on two related lawsuits against the team. However, the findings of an independent investigation contradict his statement.

According to the investigation, Quenneville was part of a May 2010 meeting in which Blackhawks executives were informed that Aldrich had behaved in a sexually inappropriate way toward a player. The organization didn't act on the information until reporting it to human resources three weeks later, several days after the team won the Stanley Cup.

Quenneville said Wednesday he won't comment further until he's had his meeting with Bettman. Quenneville also said he discussed matters with the Panthers and they will work to "eliminate all distractions."

Quenneville will be behind the bench for Florida's clash with the Boston Bruins on Wednesday.

I saw the interview and it was heavy and very difficult to watch 😢

Kyle Beach identified himself as the "John Doe" at the center of the Chicago Blackhawks' sexual assault scandal Wednesday in an interview with TSN's Rick Westhead.

Beach was drafted by the Blackhawks 11th overall in 2008. He was a member of the organization when he says former video coach Brad Aldrich sexually assaulted him in 2010.

Former assistant U.S. attorney Reid J. Schar of Jenner & Block produced the probe's findings Tuesday.

"Yesterday was a day of many emotions. I cried, I smiled, I laughed, I cried some more and my girlfriend and I – we didn’t know how to feel," Beach said in the interview. "We didn’t know how to think, we just held each other and supported each other."

He continued: "And following it, just a great feeling of relief and vindication, and it was no longer my word against everybody else’s. Because a lot of things were made public, a lot of people were interviewed, and I really felt like there was a lot of lies told in the media. And it was very special and important to me to have that truth come out yesterday."

Beach, who had been playing for the AHL's Rockford Ice Hogs in 2010, reflected on the moment he was called up to be a part of the Blackhawks' playoff roster.

"But to be a part of that for the first time besides a training camp, it was an extremely special moment for me and for my family and the next step for me pursuing my NHL dream that I dreamed about and worked for my entire life.

"So unfortunately, a couple weeks after, those memories were tainted, and my life was changed forever."

Beach went on to describe how he felt when Aldrich didn't face any immediate consequences after he informed the team of what happened.

According to the investigation, executive members and coaches in the Blackhawks organization were made aware of the allegations but didn't immediately act. Instead, the team waited until days after winning the Stanley Cup to report them to human resources.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is planning to meet with former Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville - now the head coach of the Florida Panthers - and former Chicago assistant GM Kevin Cheveldayoff - now the Winnipeg Jets' general manager - on Thursday to discuss their roles in the mishandling of the assault allegations.

Beach had the following message for Bettman and the league:

"The NHL is inclusive; the NHL includes everybody. And they let me down and they’ve let down others as well. But they continue to try and protect their name over the health and the well-being of the people who put their lives on the line every day to make the NHL what it is.

"I hope through and through that Gary Bettman takes this seriously and that he does his due diligence, that he talks to not only them, but Stan Bowman, John McDonough, and anybody else that has information to offer before he makes his decision. Because they already let me down, they wouldn’t investigate for me, so why would they now?"

Beach also described his thought process in regard to coming forward when he did.

"It’s a big step for me, my process of recovery, as I process the events that happened and as I truly deal with the underlying issues that I have from them. For me, I wanted to come forward and put my name on this. To be honest, it’s already out there. The details were pretty accurate in the report, and it’s been figured out. More than that, I’ve been a survivor, I am a survivor. And I know I’m not alone. I know I’m not the only one, male or female. And I buried this for 10 years, 11 years. And it’s destroyed me from the inside out. And I want everybody to know in the sports world and in the world that you’re not alone."

Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane say they wish they could have done more to help Kyle Beach, who identified himself on Wednesday as the "John Doe" at the center of the Chicago Blackhawks sexual assault scandal.

"We wish we could have done something differently, myself included," Toews said, according to The Athletic's Mark Lazerus. "My heart goes out to Kyle for what he dealt with. Wish I could have done something. It's not an excuse looking back, but the truth is a lot of us were focused on just playing hockey."

The two players spoke to the media following the team's 3-2 overtime loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday, hours after Beach came forward during an interview with TSN's Rick Westhead.

"Very courageous for (Beach) to come out and let his name be known to the world after everything he went (through)," Kane said, according to Lazerus. "Wish back then we could have done some different things, knew about some different things, maybe we could have helped him."

Beach was a member of the Blackhawks organization in 2010, when he says former video coach Brad Aldrich sexually assaulted him during the playoffs. He said during the interview that he believes everyone in the locker room was aware of the incident.

"Word spread pretty quick," Beach said. "I do believe that everyone in that locker room knew about it. Because the comments were made in the locker room, they were made on the ice, they were made around the arena with all different people of all different backgrounds - players, staff, media in the presence."

Toews and Kane, however, suggested they were unaware at the time.

"Listen, at the end of the day, I don't wish to exonerate myself in this situation by saying I didn't know. But the truth is I had not heard about it until training camp the next year," Toews said, according to Ben Pope of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Kane said he didn't know Beach was "John Doe" until he revealed himself Wednesday, adding that he remembered hearing "vaguely some different rumors" about why Aldrich left the team.

Toews also defended former general manager Stan Bowman and former senior vice president of hockey operations Al MacIsaac, both of whom stepped down in light of an investigation into the franchise's handling of the allegations against Aldrich.

Law firm Jenner & Block determined that Bowman and MacIsaac knew Aldrich had at least allegedly sexually harassed a player and - along with other members of the management group - didn't act on the information until three weeks later after the team won the Stanley Cup.

"To me, Stan and Al, make any argument you want, they're not directly complicit in the activities that happened," Toews said. "Regardless of mistakes that may have been made, for someone like Stan, who has done so much for the Blackhawks - and Al as well - to lose everything they care about and their livelihoods, as well.

"I don't understand how that makes it go away, to just delete them from existence and (say), 'That's it, we'll never hear from them again.' I have a lot of respect for them as people. They're good people."

The Red Wings just keep on entertaining me so far this season. Still a small sample size, but I love hearing from other teams about how pesky, fast and tough to play against they have been. I'm sure there will be bumps this year, but I think they are on the right track.
Now the question is - Is Blashill the right coach for this team?

"To me, Stan and Al, make any argument you want, they're not directly complicit in the activities that happened," Toews said. "Regardless of mistakes that may have been made, for someone like Stan, who has done so much for the Blackhawks - and Al as well - to lose everything they care about and their livelihoods, as well.
Lol, fuck these guys and fuck the Blackhawks.

Back