NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

I don't think my Habs are in a position to make a move this year. On the one end, there's a window opening because Price and Weber are aging. Though goaltenders can keep going for a while in their 30's. But they're also not there yet with the development of the youngsters to go all-in. They definitely won't want to trade any futures, or at least I think it would be a mistake to do so. They could use some top end scoring. I just don't think they would want to pay what's needed to get it. Unless mid-level prospects and picks do it, but I doubt it.

I don't think my Habs are in a position to make a move this year. On the one end, there's a window opening because Price and Weber are aging. Though goaltenders can keep going for a while in their 30's. But they're also not there yet with the development of the youngsters to go all-in. They definitely won't want to trade any futures, or at least I think it would be a mistake to do so. They could use some top end scoring. I just don't think they would want to pay what's needed to get it. Unless mid-level prospects and picks do it, but I doubt it.
Funny you mention that as I just read this morning that Tatar could be traded by the deadline...one rumored destination: Pittsburgh 🤷‍♂️

Funny you mention that as I just read this morning that Tatar could be traded by the deadline...one rumored destination: Pittsburgh 🤷‍♂️

It's not impossible, but thing is they would need his scoring if they want to win a few rounds in the playoffs. Obviously would depend what is coming back the other way, as always. But he's been playing pretty well since the coaching change.

One wildcard is Cole Caufield in the US college system. He's been tearing it up and he's a top contender for the Hobey Baker. He'd be available to make the jump in about a month and a half after the "frozen four" tournament ends. But I'd expect him to play AHL first and he'd have to go through quarantine. More of a big maybe in the playoffs this year. Medium term, he's the replacement for Tatar and why Tatar won't be back next year, whether he's traded or not.

The San Jose Sharks and Evander Kane have told federal bankruptcy court officials they're thinking about ending the forward's contract, The Athletic's Daniel Kaplan and Kevin Kurz report.

Kane and the Sharks filed a motion this week and included their desire to "extend time to assume or reject" the remainder of a seven-year, $49-million pact the left-winger inked with the Sharks in May 2018.

The original deadline for voiding the contract passed this week, but a bankruptcy judge agreed to postpone it until June 7.

The 29-year-old filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in January, citing $26.8 million in debt and $10.2 million in assets. There is $29 million remaining on Kane's pact with the Sharks.

"Several creditors, including Zions Bancorp, filed recently, asking the court, Professional Bank, and South River Capital to convert the bankruptcy from Chapter 7 to 11, which is typically used for businesses," Kaplan and Kurz wrote.

"The change would be significant because, under Chapter 11, the $29 million cited by the lenders as remaining on Kane’s contract would be available to creditors like Zions, which is owed $4.25 million. It would not be under Chapter 7, according to Zions, which argues Kane’s losses are business-related."

A hearing to determine the designation will take place later in March. Kane and the Sharks would reportedly be more interested in canceling the contract if a judge converts the case to Chapter 11.

If the deal remains under Chapter 7, the player and team would have until the June extension deadline to decide on the contract's status based on the judge's ruling.

The NHL's new landmark broadcast and streaming agreement with ESPN has caught the attention of Gary Thorne.

The legendary announcer and former voice of the NHL on ESPN said he would be interested in returning to the booth to call hockey games.

"I'd love to talk to them about it," Thorne told The Athletic's Richard Deitsch.

He added: "I'd love to talk about it with ESPN and see what direction they're going to take with it, what the schedule is going to look like, all of that. But from the primary foundational question of, 'Is that something that interests me?' Yes, it does."

The NHL and ESPN announced a seven-year agreement reportedly worth more than $2.8 billion Wednesday. The pact gives the network exclusive rights to broadcast four Stanley Cup Finals on ABC between 2022 and 2028, as well as simulcast capabilities on ESPN+, among other rights.

Thorne was ESPN's lead NHL announcer from 1992-2004, calling all but one Stanley Cup Final in that span. He was on the mic for some of the most memorable calls of that era, including Ray Bourque winning the Stanley Cup after 22 years in 2001 and Paul Kariya's iconic "off the floor, on the board" goal in 2003.

The 72-year-old also featured in EA Sports' NHL video game series for several years.

Thorne has worked for MLB's Baltimore Orioles for the last 14 seasons but was told over the offseason he wouldn't be returning to the club. The timing of his availability and ESPN's NHL venture has some hockey fans calling for his return online.

"Yeah, that's pretty humbling, honestly," Thorne said of the support. "My phone lit up all night from friends who do tweet and are on the platforms, which I am not. They were telling me this was going on. I was like, 'Wow.' I'm just so happy that people have remembered and have those kinds of positive memories about the time that ... and our crew were doing the games."

The St. Louis Blues signed goaltender Jordan Binnington to a six-year contract extension worth $36 million, the team announced Thursday.

Binnington was scheduled for unrestricted free agency following the 2021 season. His current deal was signed in 2019 and counts $4.4 million against the cap.

With their No. 1 goaltender locked up, the Blues are projected to have approximately $16 million in cap space if the league-mandated limit remains at a flat $81.5 million, according to Cap Friendly.

Binnington has been the club's starter since the midway point of the 2018-19 season, when he emerged out of nowhere to lead the Blues to their first Stanley Cup in franchise history.

While he's still a quality netminder, Binnington's numbers have declined since he bursted onto the NHL scene.

SEASONRECORDSV%GAA
2018-1924-5-1.9271.89
2019-2030-13-7.9122.56
2020-219-6-3.9082.69
Binnington also struggled mightily in last summer's bubble playoffs, posting a .851 save percentage as the Blues were eliminated in five games at the hands of the Vancouver Canucks.

The 27-year-old was a third-round pick of St. Louis in 2011.

The St. Louis Blues signed goaltender Jordan Binnington to a six-year contract extension worth $36 million, the team announced Thursday.

Binnington was scheduled for unrestricted free agency following the 2021 season. His current deal was signed in 2019 and counts $4.4 million against the cap.

With their No. 1 goaltender locked up, the Blues are projected to have approximately $16 million in cap space if the league-mandated limit remains at a flat $81.5 million, according to Cap Friendly.

Binnington has been the club's starter since the midway point of the 2018-19 season, when he emerged out of nowhere to lead the Blues to their first Stanley Cup in franchise history.

While he's still a quality netminder, Binnington's numbers have declined since he bursted onto the NHL scene.

SEASONRECORDSV%GAA
2018-1924-5-1.9271.89
2019-2030-13-7.9122.56
2020-219-6-3.9082.69
Binnington also struggled mightily in last summer's bubble playoffs, posting a .851 save percentage as the Blues were eliminated in five games at the hands of the Vancouver Canucks.

The 27-year-old was a third-round pick of St. Louis in 2011.
So performance slips and he gets a raise. Makes sense.

Columbus Blue Jackets sniper Patrik Laine isn't quite sure why he was stuck to the bench during the late stages of the club's 5-4 overtime loss to the Florida Panthers on Thursday.

The 22-year-old logged just 2:20 of ice time in the third period and didn't play in the final seven minutes of regulation or overtime despite having what he believed to be a strong game.

"Yeah we got scored on a couple of times but I think the first two, if you take out the one play where the puck was bouncing a little bit and I couldn't get it out and they ended up scoring, I thought I was playing good, but I guess I thought wrong," Laine told reporters following the loss.

Laine, who said earlier Thursday his confidence was "closer to zero" amid a seven-game point slump, tallied one goal and one assist to help Columbus open a 4-1 lead after two periods. However, his line was out for a pair of Panthers' third-period tallies, which could have led to his benching.

Head coach John Tortorella didn't offer much when asked about his decision to shorten the bench as the game progressed.

"At that point in time that's just the way it worked out," Tortorella said.

The Blue Jackets acquired Laine from the Winnipeg Jets in January. The Finnish forward was benched in just his fourth game with the club in February for reportedly verbally disrespecting a member of the coaching staff.

Back