NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Alright which one of your teams is going to offer the Preds an offer they can't refuse for Mattias Ekholm?

You got any good prospects. Poile loves to go dumpster diving.
Yeah, the Leafs have had a couple really good drafts recently. It'll be interesting to see what prices are like this deadline, though, with so many teams really worried about their financial bottom line. Quite a lot of good players should be on the market.

Yeah, the Leafs have had a couple really good drafts recently. It'll be interesting to see what prices are like this deadline, though, with so many teams really worried about their financial bottom line. Quite a lot of good players should be on the market.

I wonder if the Canadian teams are going to make a move early since the prospects would have to go through a quarantine.

I wonder if the Canadian teams are going to make a move early since the prospects would have to go through a quarantine.
I would imagine so. Read an article on the Athletic this morning that if the Leafs wait till the deadline to make a trade, the player would only have 7 games with them before the playoffs. Not really enough time to get situated, plus they'll have just been not skating for two weeks. I'm hoping the Leafs go all-in this year on a couple impact players.

The NHL is officially returning to "The Worldwide Leader."

ESPN has signed a seven-year deal to become an NHL broadcast partner, the league announced Wednesday. The network will pay over $400 million annually to the NHL, reports The Athletic's Sean Shapiro.

The pact - which also involves ESPN's parent company Disney - gives ESPN exclusive rights to broadcast four Stanley Cup Finals on ABC between 2022 and 2028, along with the ability to simulcast on the ESPN+ streaming service and other ESPN properties.

It will guarantee 25 regular-season games nationally broadcast exclusively on either ABC or ESPN, 75 regular-season contests streamed exclusively on ESPN+ and Hulu, and broadcasts of half of the Stanley Cup Playoffs on either ABC or ESPN every season. It also includes coverage rights for All-Star festivities, opening night, and other special events, as well as highlights.

The agreement also affects the league's out-of-market streaming capabilities in the U.S. The package featuring over 1,000 games per season formerly available on NHL.tv will now only be accessible with an ESPN+ subscription.

ESPN will also be bringing back the beloved theme music it first used in 1992.

NBC is in the final season of a 10-year pact with the NHL and paying about $200 million per campaign for U.S. broadcasting rights.

ESPN hasn't aired NHL games since before the 2004-05 lockout, but it was involved in broadcasting the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.

Mind if I ask why? I'm not really familiar with the US broadcast landscape.
25 total regular season games is a little thin, and not carrying all of the playoffs is a step backwards. I feel like at least NBC Sports was making an effort at treating it like a valuable commodity. We’ll have to see what the ESPN+ streaming package ends up priced at.

I will rescind my bag of dicks if I can get all of the games I get on nhl.tv at their current $60/year. But the whole ESPN+/Hulu thing is kind of unclear. They say it’s being merged in, but then itemize it separately from the ESPN+/Hulu stuff. If I have to pay $240/yr for nhl on top of $60/yr for ESPN+ I don’t want I’ll be annoyed.

Back