New User New Setup

Music2smoothe

Hello all! Looking for a new setup, as I am just learning, I have owned my TT and preamp setup for about 2 years now and I am looking to upgrade. I am currently using a fluance rt 82 and a schitt mani and looking for a clearer better sounder. I need to be honest, i am not sure exactly what I am looking for. I just want to see what else is out there, what can be recommended in the 300-700 range. I am a big individual on buying things once but when it comes to music/vinyl/sound it does not seem possible to be honest unless I plan on spending a whole lot. So if possible, what are some recommendations to push my system a bit. I am using powered Jbl lsr305 speakers. Thank You

Hello all! Looking for a new setup, as I am just learning, I have owned my TT and preamp setup for about 2 years now and I am looking to upgrade. I am currently using a fluance rt 82 and a schitt mani and looking for a clearer better sounder. I need to be honest, i am not sure exactly what I am looking for. I just want to see what else is out there, what can be recommended in the 300-700 range. I am a big individual on buying things once but when it comes to music/vinyl/sound it does not seem possible to be honest unless I plan on spending a whole lot. So if possible, what are some recommendations to push my system a bit. I am using powered Jbl lsr305 speakers. Thank You
You could get the acrylic platter for $119 you have the equivalent to the 85 and a decent upgrade for very little $$$
There is nothing wrong with your turntable
The next step might be a Darlington Labs MM 6B phono preamp and get an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge and then you have an 85 equlivant.
Otherwise I don’t see a way to stay anywhere near your stated budget.
You could stay within your budget with the acrylic platter and the 2M Blue which would get you the same set up as the best Fluance you could buy and add the MM6B phono preamp. You would have to get to about $1k to get the 2M Bronze and the aforementioned upgrades but it would be worth it in my opinion.
Keep your turntable.
It will cost a lot to get a new turntable, get a better phono preamp, get a nice cartridge which you can save up for in a couple years.
in the meantime, keep your turntable.
This is just my opinion.

P.S. You could fill in the bass with a small subwoofer but you will have to move it around to see where it fits Sonically. You are not getting much bass with those speakers.

Klipsch 12" 400 Watts Wireless Subwoofer Brushed Black Vinyl (R-12SWi)​

$269

Last edited:

The stylus swap to the 2M blue will definitely bring more detail and clarity to your music. A separate phono stage is also nearly also a good move.

In your shoes my mid to longer term goal would probably be to move to a good amplifier/passive speaker set up or at least up the line in active speakers.

Slightly left field question, but are you cleaning your records in any way? It's not the most rock and roll of upgrades, but a good cleaner is important, and your records will sound better. Might not be the first thing you get (after maybe the Fluance and cart upgrades above), but it's something to consider.

Well this might not be a popular opinion, but here goes....

I wouldn't spend a penny on upgrading that turntable. I have that turntable, I bought it for my son. Seems to me that any money spent there would be wasted. You can't improve that tonearm, and I think that's where the Fluance's lose their shine. You might pretty it up a bit with a platter upgrade, but if you aren't happy with the table, just move on.

I've always thought that you better double the cash spent to see any type of true sound upgrade when upgrading a component. In your range probably a Debut Evo could make sense. I think you just missed that Studiodeck Foundation deal at 699 that Musicdirect was running. Musicdirect has a couple of Rega P2 tables that are open box for 659. I think that table is a solid table that you could run for lots of years, although I'd want to upgrade that cartridge after a bit. And I trust Music Direct when they sell open box items, seems a lot of people around here have bought from them that way.

Just seems to me that another 3 or 4 hundred buck table would still leave you dissatisfied. Next thing you know two years have passed and you have a handful of 300 buck tables stuffed into their boxes in your basement, having not been happy with any of them. Make your upgrade count.

And there is nothing wrong with a Mani. Solid low cost phono preamp that will work nicely with whatever you move to table wise.

I agree that the best upgrade path is Platter -> Cartridge -> Phono -> New Table. The 2M Blue or Nagaoka MP-110 could both be good upgrades.

The Fluance with acrylic platter would likely max out its ability at a 2M Bronze-level of cartridge. You’d need to at least double the investment in a phono or turntable to hear a significant difference. Another step-up MM phono to consider is the Classic Audio Spartan 15 at US$450.

Seeing as you're leaning towards more of a "one and done" mentality and I'm assuming not pushing your budget to the roof I would ask this. What's your long term budget? What do you think you're willing to spend over time? Or is the $700 ceiling it?

That would play into the direction you want to head in terms of separates or are you wanting to stay with a small footprint, powered speaker set up. Depending on all this would help you decide what path, many solid ones already mentioned, you should consider.

I get the one and done mentality, but it depends on if you're staying "small footprint" or thinking of going separates, in which case I'd offer up some opinions, starting with saving a while longer ;)

Seeing as you're leaning towards more of a "one and done" mentality and I'm assuming not pushing your budget to the roof I would ask this. What's your long term budget? What do you think you're willing to spend over time? Or is the $700 ceiling it?

That would play into the direction you want to head in terms of separates or are you wanting to stay with a small footprint, powered speaker set up. Depending on all this would help you decide what path, many solid ones already mentioned, you should consider.

I get the one and done mentality, but it depends on if you're staying "small footprint" or thinking of going separates, in which case I'd offer up some opinions, starting with saving a while longer ;)

Yep saving a while longer is always a great option unless you’re desperate to change because of faults or something just not being right at all.

I get the instant gratification and have definitely fallen for it but if the system sounds ok and just needs a little tweak something like a stylus swap to a blue now and then putting money away into the pot for the year or two that stylus lasts would definitely give so many more options then, be they powered or passive on the amp/speaker side or a better table.

Last edited:
I agree that the best upgrade path is Platter -> Cartridge -> Phono -> New Table. The 2M Blue or Nagaoka MP-110 could both be good upgrades.

The Fluance with acrylic platter would likely max out its ability at a 2M Bronze-level of cartridge. You’d need to at least double the investment in a phono or turntable to hear a significant difference. Another step-up MM phono to consider is the Classic Audio Spartan 15 at US$450.

I didn’t put speakers/amp into my upgrade path and that was an oversight. A swap to a better speaker amp combo would have a bigger impact than anything on the vinyl upgrade path I described. But, this could be a much larger expenditure.

Edit: A switch to the JBL with an 8” woofer would definitely improve the sound of the system overall by reducing low frequency distortion and extending the bottom end of frequency response.

Last edited:
I didn’t put speakers/amp into my upgrade path and that was an oversight. A swap to a better speaker amp combo would have a bigger impact than anything on the vinyl upgrade path I described. But, this could be a much larger expenditure.

Edit: A switch to the JBL with an 8” woofer would definitely improve the sound of the system overall by reducing low frequency distortion and extending the bottom end of frequency response.

I still think I’d be questioning putting another $500 into those for a little bump rather than saving until you can get an actual big bump. Save $50-$100 a month and in a year or 2 you could be playing with some really nice powered speakers, or passive and an amp, indeed.

All this 👆☝️👆☝️👆advice is good
There is no single simple solution
I personally think just buying a turntable right now that eats up your entire budget will leave you in the same place sound quality- wise.
The simplest solution
Get a 2M Blue cartridge and use your alignment tool and also get the overhang and anti skate right so that is dialed in.
Use your cleaning kit as suggested.
Get that $250 subwoofer I linked or some other subwoofer to get the bass extension and that would be in your budget range Be the best bang for the buck.
Then just start saving your money.
The more the better to a point.

Then you could get either really nice powered speakers or a system.
And a new turntable and cartridge that will cost you $1,000 plus alone.

Last edited:
All this 👆☝️👆☝️👆advice is good
There is no single simple solution
I personally think just buying a turntable right now that eats up your entire budget will leave you in the same place sound quality- wise.
The simplest solution
Get a 2M Blue cartridge and use your alignment tool and also get the overhang and anti skate right so that is dialed in.
Use your cleaning kit as suggested.
Get that $250 subwoofer I linked or some other subwoofer to get the bass extension and that would be in your budget range Be the best bang for the buck.
Then just start saving your money.
The more the better to a point.

Then you could get either really nice powered speakers or a system.
And a new turntable and cartridge that will cost you $1,000 plus alone.
I might be missing an obvious answer, but I don't see how he sends an output for a subwoofer with his setup. I'm assuming he runs an adapter from his Mani to those speakers.

I’d say your speakers are where you will find weakness in your system right now. With your budget you could get a nicish beginner set up with something like a wiim amp and some Elac speakers, but really you need a little more than that budget for a good amp and then again for good speakers.

I guess the real question is how much do you really want to sink in the set up and when. Foot space factor is another puzzle, if you still want powered speakers, we should probably swerve a bit.

You could get the acrylic platter for $119 you have the equivalent to the 85 and a decent upgrade for very little $$$
There is nothing wrong with your turntable
The next step might be a Darlington Labs MM 6B phono preamp and get an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge and then you have an 85 equlivant.
Otherwise I don’t see a way to stay anywhere near your stated budget.
You could stay within your budget with the acrylic platter and the 2M Blue which would get you the same set up as the best Fluance you could buy and add the MM6B phono preamp. You would have to get to about $1k to get the 2M Bronze and the aforementioned upgrades but it would be worth it in my opinion.
Keep your turntable.
It will cost a lot to get a new turntable, get a better phono preamp, get a nice cartridge which you can save up for in a couple years.
in the meantime, keep your turntable.
This is just my opinion.

P.S. You could fill in the bass with a small subwoofer but you will have to move it around to see where it fits Sonically. You are not getting much bass with those speakers.

Klipsch 12" 400 Watts Wireless Subwoofer Brushed Black Vinyl (R-12SWi)​

$269

Adding a sub to the current speakers is not a bad option, but I would recommend one that has a high pass crossover (to attenuate low frequencies) for the powered speakers at line level. My old Definitive Technologies 15” sub does this, but I can look for a smaller, more contemporary example later.

Edit: It took a while to find an example as this is not a common feature anymore. I can’t vouch for this specific manufacturer, but this will show you what I meant.

Last edited:
I’d say your speakers are where you will find weakness in your system right now. With your budget you could get a nicish beginner set up with something like a wiim amp and some Elac speakers, but really you need a little more than that budget for a good amp and then again for good speakers.

I guess the real question is how much do you really want to sink in the set up and when. Foot space factor is another puzzle, if you still want powered speakers, we should probably swerve a bit.
Not sure if I remember this right, but didn't you run the Onkyo that was the rage at the WMP forum? I might be mistaken. But lots of people run something like a Yamaha AS-301 and a pair of ELACs and that's their endgame. That's affordable in his price range.

In fact, if I was in that position, with a Fluance and a Mani, I think I'd grab a pair of ELACs and a Yamaha 301 or a NAD 316BEE and I'd have a nice entertaining system.

Not sure if I remember this right, but didn't you run the Onkyo that was the rage at the WMP forum? I might be mistaken. But lots of people run something like a Yamaha AS-301 and a pair of ELACs and that's their endgame. That's affordable in his price range.

In fact, if I was in that position, with a Fluance and a Mani, I think I'd grab a pair of ELACs and a Yamaha 301 or a NAD 316BEE and I'd have a nice entertaining system.
naw, I was running a Sony shelf unit before the 3050. Cheap pos.

With the wiim they’d get decent streaming to further their obsession hobby. But yeah onkyo/yamaha/nad and Elacs could be endgame.

With the wiim they’d get decent streaming to further their obsession hobby. But yeah onkyo/yamaha/nad and Elacs could be endgame.
I agree with that. I don't have one, I have one of those NAD units. I don't know if those wiim units have a ton of power, but they sure seem like a nice option for not a whole lot of money. And there's a bunch of nice sub-$400 bookshelves out there to pair with it.

Back