New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Maybe this warrants a thread of its own, but is anyone biting on the HumminGuru S-DUO? Looks like $125 is the least expensive option currently available.
I’m skipping out on that one. Did a quick look and only saw a few carts mentioned with it so wasn’t sure if only those carts were compatible? I’d be worried about messing up my stylus with it so will stick to the brush or get some blue tack or something!

Wow, talk about good timing - I pre-ordered my Humminguru earlier after thinking "hmm I wonder if they're on pre-order yet", not realising the pre-orders end tomorrow!

I had to buy the Type A plug variant as the UK plug one was out of stock, but I'm assuming it's just a multivoltage power brick I can plug another cable into.

Now in the rabbit hole of the surfactant debates!

Wow, talk about good timing - I pre-ordered my Humminguru earlier after thinking "hmm I wonder if they're on pre-order yet", not realising the pre-orders end tomorrow!

I had to buy the Type A plug variant as the UK plug one was out of stock, but I'm assuming it's just a multivoltage power brick I can plug another cable into.

Now in the rabbit hole of the surfactant debates!
I honestly don't think it's much of a debate. I cleaned about 340 records before buying the G-Sonic, and have cleaned just over 100 with it, and beyond a slightly foamier bath, I can't say I've noticed much of a difference. I'm not gonna say the G-Sonic doesn't accomplish anything, but the distilled-water-only approach works very well. So my conclusion would be that either way is fine.

I think the more important issue for achieving silent playback is how to handle static. @HiFi Guy recently recommended this brush that's available on Amazon and I've got to say it works really well. What a bargain. And a heck of a lot more fun to use than a Zerostat!

Amazon product ASIN B08113TFRV

Last edited:
I honestly don't think it's much of a debate. I cleaned about 340 records before buying the G-Sonic, and have cleaned just over 100 with it, and beyond a slightly foamier bath, I can't say I've noticed much of a difference. I'm not gonna say the G-Sonic doesn't accomplish anything, but the distilled-water-only approach works very well. So my conclusion would be that either way is fine.

I think the more important issue for achieving silent playback is how to handle static. @HiFi Guy recently recommended this brush that's available on Amazon and I've got to say it works really well. What a bargain. And a heck of a lot more fun to use than a Zerostat!

Amazon product ASIN B08113TFRV
Thank you for that - glad to hear that I don't have to splash out for some extra fluid, my last record cleaning setup often left residue on the stylus and so was worried about how ingrained on the record that would be but if just distilled water works well that's very good to hear.

Thank you for that - glad to hear that I don't have to splash out for some extra fluid, my last record cleaning setup often left residue on the stylus and so was worried about how ingrained on the record that would be but if just distilled water works well that's very good to hear.
I'm not cleaning super-grungy records, and if I were, I'd go at them first with a reputable cleaning fluid and my discwasher brush as a first level of removing the dirt.

I'm not cleaning super-grungy records, and if I were, I'd go at them first with a reputable cleaning fluid and my discwasher brush as a first level of removing the dirt.
Probably going to order the GrooveWasher kit and a ZeroStat to go alongside the Humminguru once it ships then, thanks again.

Hello,

Thank you for your photo and your patience. We apologize for the inconvenience along the way and we are trying our best to assist you on the issue.

Based on your photo, you have done a great job in replacing the PCB. Unfortunately, the auto and cleaning mode is still un-operative. Our engineers believe that it could be the thermal switch that is having issues. However, it is impossible to change it on your own. One last thing we can try however is to eliminate the thermal protection function. If we do that, the only thing you need to be aware of when you run the machine is to not run it continuously for over 3-5 records. You will need to let it cool down a little in between. If you would like to do that, we will send you the instruction.

On the other hand, if you do not feel comfortable doing so, we can proceed with the return/repair option. You will have to ship the machine back to us at your own cost. We will repair it for you ship it back to you at no charge under warranty. Repair may take up to a month to complete.

Please let us know which option you prefer. We will be more than happy to assist you with either option you chose.

Thank you
HumminGuru

Any thoughts on this? I need an expert negotiator to draft an email for me on how to get out of paying international shipping on something that I was able to use for a month tops before it failed. Also, WTF, deactivate a switch that is supposed to further protect that machine from damage? Clean 3-5 records and then what, wait for how long? Will it fail again?

Hello,

Thank you for your photo and your patience. We apologize for the inconvenience along the way and we are trying our best to assist you on the issue.

Based on your photo, you have done a great job in replacing the PCB. Unfortunately, the auto and cleaning mode is still un-operative. Our engineers believe that it could be the thermal switch that is having issues. However, it is impossible to change it on your own. One last thing we can try however is to eliminate the thermal protection function. If we do that, the only thing you need to be aware of when you run the machine is to not run it continuously for over 3-5 records. You will need to let it cool down a little in between. If you would like to do that, we will send you the instruction.

On the other hand, if you do not feel comfortable doing so, we can proceed with the return/repair option. You will have to ship the machine back to us at your own cost. We will repair it for you ship it back to you at no charge under warranty. Repair may take up to a month to complete.

Please let us know which option you prefer. We will be more than happy to assist you with either option you chose.

Thank you
HumminGuru

Any thoughts on this? I need an expert negotiator to draft an email for me on how to get out of paying international shipping on something that I was able to use for a month tops before it failed. Also, WTF, deactivate a switch that is supposed to further protect that machine from damage? Clean 3-5 records and then what, wait for how long? Will it fail again?
I assume they mean cleaning 3-5 records in a row without a drying cycle, as drying should provide plenty of cooldown time. I might request a clarification.

Definitely a big problem concerning shipping, though. I’m not sure how I’d approach things here, to be honest.

Very disappointing.

I assume they mean cleaning 3-5 records in a row without a drying cycle, as drying should provide plenty of cooldown time. I might request a clarification.

Definitely a big problem concerning shipping, though. I’m not sure how I’d approach things here, to be honest.

Very disappointing.
Yeah, they need to clarify water temp sensor or maybe some sensor for the board itself getting hot?

Also, could you not just maybe send the instructions with each email and not wait for my affirmative? It takes 24 hours to get a response since it's either midnight or 4am there by the time I can reply.

Hello,

Thank you
HumminGuru

I absolutely wouldn’t run it without the protection switch operating, that sounds well dodgy. Honestly most stuff I buy ends up charging you for return on warranty repairs and then pays themselves to send it back but the international dimension is definitely a factor why you shouldn’t.

If you write back keep it short and factual.

Something along the lines of.

I apprieciate your offer but in circumstances where the unit failed so quickly after purchase and where a replacement part, that I had to fit myself, could not remedy the issue it seems really unfair that I be put to the not inconsiderable financial burden of shipping the unit back to China.

I absolutely wouldn’t run it without the protection switch operating, that sounds well dodgy. Honestly most stuff I buy ends up charging you for return on warranty repairs and then pays themselves to send it back but the international dimension is definitely a factor why you shouldn’t.

If you write back keep it short and factual.

Something along the lines of.

I apprieciate your offer but in circumstances where the unit failed so quickly after purchase and where a replacement part, that I had to fit myself, could not remedy the issue it seems really unfair that I be put to the not inconsiderable financial burden of shipping the unit back to China.
My reply:

I have two concerns. One being if I deactivate the thermal protection will the warranty still be valid? I have only ever used the unit as directed and I'm a bit upset that it has failed to operate normally so quickly. I'm also not exactly thrilled that I would have to send back the unit at my expense after only being able to use it for a month. Overseas shipping is really expensive and I'm not eager to spend another month without a cleaner.

If you could please send me the instructions to attempt to make the repair I am willing to give it a shot. If that does not work then I guess we will need to discuss a warranty repair or even a replacement.

My reply:

I have two concerns. One being if I deactivate the thermal protection will the warranty still be valid? I have only ever used the unit as directed and I'm a bit upset that it has failed to operate normally so quickly. I'm also not exactly thrilled that I would have to send back the unit at my expense after only being able to use it for a month. Overseas shipping is really expensive and I'm not eager to spend another month without a cleaner.

If you could please send me the instructions to attempt to make the repair I am willing to give it a shot. If that does not work then I guess we will need to discuss a warranty repair or even a replacement.

That seems absolutely fine. It’s not antagonistic and you set out your position clearly. I probably wouldn’t have offered to fix it myself and would have pushed for them to cover shipping in both directions, but that’s more because I’m not capable…

Last edited:
Back