New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Have lived with the HG for a while now.

Here's my take:

1) It can't fix faulty pressings where there's a problem with the lacquer or something from the mastering. (Just washed classical record which had quite bad hiss and the HG can't fix that as it obviously is not dirt but something from the (re-)mastering).

2) It clearly is good on static and clicks/pops caused by that (had a brand new album in which was super-static and clicked a lot - the HG fixed it)

3) It brings out more depth and dynamics from the grooves with better sounding records as the great consequence

4) Yes, in the drying process it can attract some dust, which is easily removed. I try and put it where there aren't some dusty. big surfaces like my computer screen (or I put a towel over it)

5) I'm cleaning through my collection with distilled water and a sprinkle of Ilfotol, band by band and new record by new record.

6) Very happy user here. The Okki Nokki has been sold to a Norwegian country rock dude, we call it Nordicana.

- Over and out from the thread starter! Wishing you all a happy X-mas, greetings from a Norway in new lockdown.
Can I ask how much you sold your Okki Nokki as I need to do the same?

EDIT: And sold...

Last edited:
Crazy question: Back in the days of searching online for formulas for DIY record cleaning solution, it was common to run across the suggestion that a drop of Dawn dishwashing soap be added to serve as a surfactant/wetting agent. I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen that mentioned in any of these posts about adding a surfactant to the HumminGuru cleaning regimen. Anyone have any knowledge/thoughts about this?

Here are the ingredients (which somehow add up to "surfactant"):

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 5.54.30 PM.png

Crazy question: Back in the days of searching online for formulas for DIY record cleaning solution, it was common to run across the suggestion that a drop of Dawn dishwashing soap be added to serve as a surfactant/wetting agent. I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen that mentioned in any of these posts about adding a surfactant to the HumminGuru cleaning regimen. Anyone have any knowledge/thoughts about this?

View attachment 121442
In the Norwegian HiFi group that @espendo is member of, that's what many of them use - some alcohol and a bit of Zalo washing up liquid (Norway's main brand). One of the latest posts is how a person needed an extra drop in the tank to make it dry properly. Nobody seems to have had any problems. (What I read elsewhere convinced me to use Tergitol, but who knows? There's a lot of v strong opinions on what you should and shouldn't use at eg SHF)

View attachment 121442
The Ilfotol and PhotoFlo products we’re discussing are surfactants.

Last edited:
I think @Russ I meant with all the talk of surfactants nobody has brought up Dawn yet
It's too early for me to be posting. Sorry @Russ I.

I think I lean toward products like Ilfotol and Photoflo over dishwashing liquid because there are fewer extraneous ingredients. I don't need artificial colors or fragrances in my record cleaning fluid.

It's too early for me to be posting. Sorry @Russ I.

I think I lean toward products like Ilfotol and Photoflo over dishwashing liquid because there are fewer extraneous ingredients. I don't need artificial colors or fragrances in my record cleaning fluid.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a fairly common surfactant though right? I have to use a diluted mixture for skid/slip testing on concrete floors and it does have a slightly soapy feel.

I'm not sure what percentage you would want to use though, but I would think the 0.05% I have in this gallon of water would be safe...

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a fairly common surfactant though right? I have to use a diluted mixture for skid/slip testing on concrete floors and it does have a slightly soapy feel.

I'm not sure what percentage you would want to use though, but I would think the 0.05% I have in this gallon of water would be safe...
I've honestly never seen a proper experiment to determine whether it actually matters, but so much of this hobby is pseudoscience at this point, who knows. You should do what works for you as long as it's not gumming up your system!

I've honestly never seen a proper experiment to determine whether it actually matters, but so much of this hobby is pseudoscience at this point, who knows. You should do what works for you as long as it's not gumming up your system!
Oh I'm not saying I'm going to try it. I am by no means a chemist.

I was just following my nose when people talked about surfactants and percentages. SLS is available for people who do "natural" soaps so it might be a viable option... Given the price though it might be moot since it's about the same as some of the other options that are already for record cleaning.

Using straight up Dawn gives me the heeby jeebies though. Would not recommend.

Oh I'm not saying I'm going to try it. I am by no means a chemist.

I was just following my nose when people talked about surfactants and percentages. SLS is available for people who do "natural" soaps so it might be a viable option... Given the price though it might be moot since it's about the same as some of the other options that are already for record cleaning.

Using straight up Dawn gives me the heeby jeebies though. Would not recommend.
I use a 1.0 mL syringe to add 0.05 mL of Kodak Photo-Flo per tank of distilled water. A 16 oz bottle was just $12.99 at a local photography shop, and it's probably a lifetime supply. Even with that tiny amount, the water seemed a little too sudsy, so last night I thoroughly rinsed the filter on the water tank, thinking the surfactant was building up in the filter. We'll see what happens, experimentation!

What's this G-sonic you're discussing? I must have missed it.

Can anyone here watch more than 5-10 seconds of that Vinyl Junkies beardo? I was immediately turned off by his voice (and appearance). Yet he has THOUSANDS of subscribers.

Can anyone here watch more than 5-10 seconds of that Vinyl Junkies beardo? I was immediately turned off by his voice (and appearance). Yet he has THOUSANDS of subscribers.
Heck, there are persons whose voice, appearance and behavior I find absolutely repellant, yet they have MILLIONS of adoring followers...

Thank you. That short video was nice.

I am also looking at this one, I have the Vevor metal tank cleaner.

Back