New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

That's the direction I'm looking to try next... I actually reached out to Groovewasher when I was first doing my review videos and just so happens they had a HumminGuru they were testing with at the same time....
They shared their results with me (no affiliation with Groovewasher, but they are an extremely friendly and upfront company)..
Here is what THEY were first seeing in their HG with Distilled Water ONLY:
After Distilled only Auto Clean:
View attachment 121383

And here is WITH One-drop G-Sonic added to HG bath (Auto Clean):
View attachment 121384

Again, sharing this here ONLY as I didn't get permission to share, but all-in-all the G-Sonic sounds like a great approach.

Ben
thanks for sharing all your personal communications with us. I have never seen that amount of dust on my records after a cycle. This looks crazy.

I have had in one isolated case of a line of dust form where the water level was right before the tank drained (while the record is stationary). This was a mistake because for the first five records I cleaned, I was not pouring the water through the filter when reusing the water...

I realized this and haven't had dust be a major problem since.

Last edited:
I have had in one isolated case a line of dust form where the water level was right before the tank drained (while the record is stationary). This was a mistake because for the first five records I cleaned, I was not pouring the water through the filter when reusing the water...

I realized this and haven't had dust be a major problem since.
Yea I don't really get the dust that people are complaining about on other forums. It's never been an issue for my HG.

thanks for sharing all your personal communications with us. I have never seen that amount of dust on my records after a cycle. This looks crazy.
I thought the same thing.
I was told that the record was "quite visibly dusty and displayed symptoms of static," prior to trials.
This was part of their initial, "whats it take to move debris testing" I believe.... they weren't even really testing for sound improvement yet.
At that stage Groovewasher was implying, a G2 pre-clean and then a G-Sonic Ultrasonic clean would have reduced nearly ALL visible dust.

My dirtiest records run through the HG (such as in my first YouTube video) DID have residue/specks present after cleaning, but in random areas not quite the even/all over coverage others have seen.

Ben

I figure if it can be brushed off before playing it doesn’t count. That’s like saying that if you wash your car and then a leaf lands on it then you failed to wash the car.
Nicely done. I would have also accepted "bird poops on it."

EDIT: I would note that if you "take care of your stuff," that leaf wouldn't land on your car.

Last edited:
I think you've uncovered the secret! He's not actually playing the records so of course there is no surface noise.
I noticed that some of the white specs he circled in the video may have actually been on the dead wax in between the grooves so we may not be far off here.

We all know from discogs that “visually graded” probably doesn’t mean shit.

I find it so odd that he's making all these comparisons to the degritter, yet hasn't made any videos actually doing a head to head review comparison using a similarly dirtied up record. In the comments he says it isn't necessary because.... reasons?

I find it so odd that he's making all these comparisons to the degritter, yet hasn't made any videos actually doing a head to head review comparison using a similarly dirtied up record. In the comments he says it isn't necessary because.... reasons?
I don’t know that the Degritter is the right comparison given it costs 10x more. A better one would be a diy ultrasonic solution or a vacuum-based system in the HG’s price range.

You think he’s gonna be crazy enough to run carpet cleaner through his Degritter?

Have lived with the HG for a while now.

Here's my take:

1) It can't fix faulty pressings where there's a problem with the lacquer or something from the mastering. (Just washed classical record which had quite bad hiss and the HG can't fix that as it obviously is not dirt but something from the (re-)mastering).

2) It clearly is good on static and clicks/pops caused by that (had a brand new album in which was super-static and clicked a lot - the HG fixed it)

3) It brings out more depth and dynamics from the grooves with better sounding records as the great consequence

4) Yes, in the drying process it can attract some dust, which is easily removed. I try and put it where there aren't some dusty. big surfaces like my computer screen (or I put a towel over it)

5) I'm cleaning through my collection with distilled water and a sprinkle of Ilfotol, band by band and new record by new record.

6) Very happy user here. The Okki Nokki has been sold to a Norwegian country rock dude, we call it Nordicana.

- Over and out from the thread starter! Wishing you all a happy X-mas, greetings from a Norway in new lockdown.

Have lived with the HG for a while now.

Here's my take:

1) It can't fix faulty pressings where there's a problem with the lacquer or something from the mastering. (Just washed classical record which had quite bad hiss and the HG can't fix that as it obviously is not dirt but something from the (re-)mastering).

2) It clearly is good on static and clicks/pops caused by that (had a brand new album in which was super-static and clicked a lot - the HG fixed it)

3) It brings out more depth and dynamics from the grooves with better sounding records as the great consequence

4) Yes, in the drying process it can attract some dust, which is easily removed. I try and put it where there aren't some dusty. big surfaces like my computer screen (or I put a towel over it)

5) I'm cleaning through my collection with distilled water and a sprinkle of Ilfotol, band by band and new record by new record.

6) Very happy user here. The Okki Nokki has been sold to a Norwegian country rock dude, we call it Nordicana.

- Over and out from the thread starter! Wishing you all a happy X-mas, greetings from a Norway in new lockdown.
Happy X-Mas to you and the rest of Norway!

Back