New Music Friday!

As with most concept albums the conceit doesn’t hold up, but I’ll be damned if her exploration of what it means to be a Black American isn’t compelling as hell.

...not to be pedantic, but I think there is an extra important specificity to the emphasis I've added above.

I have further thoughts, but am currently running 4 burners and a toaster oven for family dinner, so later...

...not to be pedantic, but I think there is an extra important specificity to the emphasis I've added above.

I have further thoughts, but am currently running 4 burners and a toaster oven for family dinner, so later...
I don’t actually think that is her intent here. It colors her and her work and certainly plays a part in the songs that are more personal/inward. I think the whole point of using samples from Nancy Sinatra and interpolating The Beach Boys and hinting at Def Leppard is to broaden the view.

Like I said, I think it will take more listens to fully digest and it’s possible you have picked up on things I haven’t, but I think she is saying all of this is what America is and it’s also a bit of middle finger to Nashville (and conservative thought as a whole) saying you don’t have your pulse on shit and might want to rethink your everything.

Like using Willie and Dolly and Martell is significant. Willie was one of the most successful writers in country music and Nashville wanted to mold him. Couldn’t do it and would have made him just a song writer, he said fuck it and is a legend and super successful. Wagner and Dolly were a powerhouse but he/Nashville didn’t think she could do things on her terms and she might very well be the most successful of all Country musicians. Martell had her own struggles and in a lot of ways is a footnote in country music. Beyoncé’s like why do you guys still get to tell people what to do?

They are white rappers who, as their hip-hop star began to fade, picked up guitars. Posty is more Emo while MGK is more Mall Punk neither is particularly good. It's not an uncommon move.
Seems like there's more or less a common consensus here: outside of music, Post Malone doesn't seem like a piece of shit. The others do (are). Musically, let's be honest, they're all rubbish.

Back