New Music Friday!

The new Arctic Monkeys is what I expected, and that’s not a bad thing. I’ve actually enjoyed this band since their debut, and it’s been so fun to watch them evolve over time. The Car is a lovely follow up to Tranquility Base. It’s like on that album Alex Turner might have felt like he had to obscure the sound with a loose concept album but on the new one he’s more personal, albeit not direct. The writing is sharp and his voice is stunning on many songs. The strings do a lot of work too. I also like how it’s basically commenting on itself at points, where Alex suggests he can’t do the same thing he did on old AM records. This is the sound because it has to be. This is how they age into now. I have listened about three times today and am still totally figuring out concrete thoughts though. That all said, the lead single and opener is still one of the best on the album and one of my favorite songs of the year.

Remember there's two versions of the album, standard and 3am Edition 😁

The 3 AM edition should just be the album. Those bonus tracks are just as good and often even better than some songs on the regular album.

I can't stay up that late anymore, so I guess no bonus tracks for me. 😕

Really enjoying the new Carly Rae Jepsen too. It's a bit better than Dedicated already for me (but I thought Dedicated Side B was better too). There's a nice mix of big pop styles, but they all work really well. This is like one of the most fun pop albums I've heard this year.

New Loyle Carner is excellent if you like English rap

Thanks for the rec. You're right, this album is fantastic! What a year for hip hop releases.

My favourite release of the week at this point, and it hadn't been on my radar at all. Thanks for the heads up!

Really enjoying the new Carly Rae Jepsen too. It's a bit better than Dedicated already for me (but I thought Dedicated Side B was better too). There's a nice mix of big pop styles, but they all work really well. This is like one of the most fun pop albums I've heard this year.

I’m rather underwhelmed by it. I think the title track is easily her best song ever and I really enjoy “beach house” and “Joshua tree” but the majority of the time I find my self spacing out and being unable to really focus on it

The only thing this week that I really enjoyed was the Arctic Monkeys. I find them very interesting because in the UK they are a proper stadium band, they play the biggest venues in the country, often for multiple nights in a row. This seems wild to me because there is nothing on this album that is mass market and I don't think they've done anything that you'd consider mass market for over a decade. This new album is downright weird. I don't know how they have gotten this popular, but it may speak of a vacuum of contemporary big UK rock bands and they have stepped into that space.

The only thing this week that I really enjoyed was the Arctic Monkeys. I find them very interesting because in the UK they are a proper stadium band, they play the biggest venues in the country, often for multiple nights in a row. This seems wild to me because there is nothing on this album that is mass market and I don't think they've done anything that you'd consider mass market for over a decade. This new album is downright weird. I don't know how they have gotten this popular, but it may speak of a vacuum of contemporary big UK rock bands and they have stepped into that space.
Really?! It is definitely unique and pivots from the mainstream but weird? 🤔

Radar List for 10.28.22

The Brother Moves On - $/he Who Feeds You...Owns You
Benjamin Clementine - And I Have Been
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Changes
Skye Wallace - Terribly Good
Charles Lloyd – Trios: Sacred Thread
Theo Parrish - DJ-Kicks: Detroit Forward
Dead Cross - II
Candy Dulfer - We Never Stop
Ghost Funk Orchestra - A New Kind Of Love
Dan Mangan - Being Somewhere