New Music Friday!

The new King Woman is a helluva thing. I've not actually listened to any of the older stuff, but was pretty floored by this one.

I also quite love the "new" Prince, but that's coming as a longtime mega fam, so I don't know how much that translates into the broader experience.

The new King Woman is a helluva thing. I've not actually listened to any of the older stuff, but was pretty floored by this one.

I also quite love the "new" Prince, but that's coming as a longtime mega fam, so I don't know how much that translates into the broader experience.
I’m lukewarm on W2A, I hope that the vinyl opens it up a bit. Feels sanitized to me.

I’m lukewarm on W2A, I hope that the vinyl opens it up a bit. Feels sanitized to me.

Yeah, I appreciated reading your thoughts in the Prince thread. I definitely feel differently, but expect wildly different feelings of any new Prince release - especially in posthumous territory. I'm sure I'll have more elaborate thoughts to offer a little further down the line - coffee's almost ready and further listening is necessary.

On my 3rd listen of Private Space. Listened twice last night and I’m just wishing there were more Durand Jones songs and fewer Aaron Frazer songs. Musically, a different vibe and that’s ok.

Edit #1-Sexy Thang & Witchoo are my favorite tracks right now.
Edit #2-Sea Of Love slaps too.
Edit #3-Those breaks on I Can See….juicy

Last edited:
If psych / folky / bluesy / countryish is up your alley, check out the Tobacco City album Tobacco City, USA. It sounds pretty great to me today.

Also funny today is the first time I'm hearing of this band, and the best music blog hosts them for a Lagniappe session the same day:

Yeah, I appreciated reading your thoughts in the Prince thread. I definitely feel differently, but expect wildly different feelings of any new Prince release - especially in posthumous territory. I'm sure I'll have more elaborate thoughts to offer a little further down the line - coffee's almost ready and further listening is necessary.
Yeah. I’ll probably wait until I’ve given the vinyl a couple of spins before I say anything else.

His voice just resonates more for me. I’m on listen #4 and this album is good. There’s only 2 songs that are just ok, Private Space and Ride or Die.

I understand why people who love Aaron Frazer do and I don't begrudge them that, but I personally find he annoys me more than excites me. Can't say I can truly pinpoint why, but he just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I get weird that way sometimes. That said, while I reckon my own quirks around Aaron Frazer will keep this from getting as much play around here as elsewhere, I agree the album is good - even good plus. Except for "Ride or Die" - which I'd go so far as to say sucks.

I understand why people who love Aaron Frazer do and I don't begrudge them that, but I personally find he annoys me more than excites me. Can't say I can truly pinpoint why, but he just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I get weird that way sometimes. That said, while I reckon my own quirks around Aaron Frazer will keep this from getting as much play around here as elsewhere, I agree the album is good - even good plus. Except for "Ride or Die" - which I'd go so far as to say sucks.

Maybe it’s his lack of range at least on the bands albums? I know he can sing without the falsetto.

Also funny today is the first time I'm hearing of this band, and the best music blog hosts them for a Lagniappe session the same day:

Also this is twangier than I expected but I'm digging it.

Back