New Music Friday!

Last week I really loved Jamila Woods - LEGACY! LEGACY! And reading her track by track breakdown on Pitchfork really brought a new light to the album and how it was written. Very cool concept album!

Tomorrow there are some really interesting new releases from The National, Tyler, The Creator, DJ Khaled and others. Should be a good week!

Last edited:
Excited for the FlyLo now that I've come to terms with his newer albums being very feature-heavy. I have to get around to listening to that Jamila Woods record, I've heard nothing but praise.

I think I'm early on Fly Lo, saw tomorrow but also seeing next week. I'm thinking it's the 24th? But yeah, check Jamila out and read the track by track for sure! Another great album recommended to me by this community that I likely wouldn't have listened to otherwise.

IMO Igor is the first Tyler album that really grabbed me, ever. And I was one of the early fans of the "yonkers" video, just never felt like he was tolerable across a whole LP. I do think I never gave Flower Boy a very full chance, but I did like it enough overall. This to me is just a great LP, love the dense cloudy production and vocal effects. The progress Earl and Tyler have made recently is pretty great.

Happy Friday! Here are some lists of new releases that I've found. What are you guys listening to today?

Metacritic's listed releases with their aggregate critics score:
Cate Le Bon - Reward: 86
Hayden Thorpe - Diviner: 85
Flying Lotus - Flamagra: 84
Amyl and the Sniffers - Amyl and the Sniffers: 84
Mavis Staples - We Get By: 82
Faye Webster - Atlanta Millionaires Club: 81
Earth - Full Upon Her Burning Lips: 80
Black Mountain - Destroyer: 77
Josephine Wiggs - We Fall: 76
Lee Ranaldo - Ranaldo/Jarmusch/Urselli/Pándi: 74
Morrissey - California Son: 62
Honeyblood - In Plain Sight: 55

NPR's Top 7 albums released today:
1.Mavis Staples: We Get By
2.Justin Townes Earle: The Saint of Lost Causes
3.Lucky Daye: Painted
4.YG: 4REAL 4REAL
5.Billy Ray Cyrus: The Snake Doctor Circus
6.Flying Lotus: Flamagra
7.Sebadoh: Act Surprised
Other notable releases for May 24: Cate Le Bon: Reward; Fay Webster: Atlanta Millionaires Club; Hayden Thorpe: Diviner; Honeyblood: In Plain Sight; Middle Kids: New Songs for Old Problems; Sean Nelson: Nelson Sings Nilsson; Steve Lacy: Apollo XXI; Stray Cats: 40.

Pitchfork Reviews:
Flying Lotus - Flamagra
YG -4REAL 4REAL
Mavis Staples - We Get By
Amyl and the Sniffers - Amyl and the Sniffers

Back