New Music Friday!

I've seen this Widowspeak album mentioned enough times to finally check it out. I don't think their name does them any favors because I kept thinking of that Aphex Twin song and assuming they're electronic. It's really nice. Like a mellower Ratboys.

I'd say so after the release of one LP, one EP and a series of standalone singles.

I know where you're coming from, but I've had a different experience with Pony. The first 4 tracks make the record for me. The first is a ballad as you speak of, but tracks 2-4 are faster and are the ones pushing the boundaries of the genre by incorporating elements of The Smiths & Chris Isaak. Those frame the rest of the record in my opinion. When I think of Pony, it's those first four tracks I think of. The rest of the album slows into Roy Orbison ballad territory, it's very enjoyable, but even then, the faster break brought by Take You Back in the back end is totally essential to the flow. Anyway, the slow tracks are definitely a strong part of the repertoire, but I don't think he ever meant to be a one-trick pony (pun intended) with those. Personally, my favorite Orville track is "Turn To Hate". That's the one that made me take notice.

All this and, who knows if I'll end up liking the new record. It will depend on the balance and flow. Pony was perfect in that regard. And when it comes to his songs, faster or otherwise, he's best when pushing the boundaries of country. Some, but not all of these new tracks do.

Last edited:
I've seen this Widowspeak album mentioned enough times to finally check it out. I don't think their name does them any favors because I kept thinking of that Aphex Twin song and assuming they're electronic. It's really nice. Like a mellower Ratboys.

Not much to add just wanted to give these Tacoma natives a shoutout.

I know where you're coming from, but I've had a different experience with Pony. The first 4 tracks make the record for me. The first is a a ballad as you speak of, but tracks 2-4 are faster and are the ones pushing the boundaries of the genre by incorporating elements of The Smiths & Chris Isaak. Those frame the rest of the record in my opinion. When I think of Pony, it's those first four tracks I think of. The rest of the album slows into Roy Orbison ballad territory, it's very enjoyable, but even then, the faster break brought by Take You Back in the back end is totally essential to the flow. Anyway, the slow tracks are definitely a strong part of the repertoire, but I don't think he ever meant to be a one-trick pony (pun intended) with those. Personally, my favorite Orville track is "Turn To Hate". That's the one that made me take notice.

All this and, who knows if I'll end up liking the new record. It will depend on the balance and flow. Pony was perfect in that regard. And when it comes to his songs, faster or otherwise, he's best when pushing the boundaries of country. Some, but not all of these new tracks do.
Agreed 💯 on Turn To Hate

I don't know how these guys flew under my radar since this is right up my alley. Listening to their album from 2020 right now and it's also very good. They're like Men I Trust meets Real Estate.
I know they are on Captured Tracks which makes sense but I always thought they woulda fit in well on the Woodist roster.

Yeach
I don't know how these guys flew under my radar since this is right up my alley. Listening to their album from 2020 right now and it's also very good. They're like Men I Trust meets Real Estate.
Listening to it rn and you're absolutely right vocally it does sound like MIT 👍

Did you listened to the album? And if so what did you think 🤔

Only parts. Not enough to form an opinion. I actually downloaded it to the phone so I could play it later when I chauffeur around.

I'm always on the fence with Alex Cameron, liking the music but having a hard time connecting with the lyrics. There's a certain bite to them that's never quite funny and that has made me uncomfortable in the past. Nothing wrong with that in terms of art, but not necessarily something I go back to.

I can report back. I definitely hear some 80's Roxy Music / Bryan Ferry elements in my quick scan of the tracks, which is totally my speed. The lyrical themes might hold me back again though.

My favorite new song this week is "So Long" from Public Defender turned musician Danielle Ponder. It's the first single from her upcoming debut album Some of Us Are Brave that I haven't seen a pre-order for yet. She has a few really good songs and a cover of Creep on Spotify if anyone else wants to check her music out. Only thing I've seen from her on vinyl is a 7" of "Look Around / Little Bit" that still has a couple copies available on Amazon.

Last edited:
After spinning Jeremiah Chiu & Marta Sofia Honer's Recordings from the Aland Islands, this is a great album. It's one of those soft, lovely, ambient pieces that takes you away. Everything about it is so delicate and tenuous. I find that I really love neoclassical strings in ambient music. This is definitely a record I will spin when I want to clam down and relax.
They’re performing with Alabaster DePlume in LA this Sunday, I’m very excited to pick up the record. It was the perfect listen for this morning

Back