Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Thanks for creating this @RenegadeMonster

I have to say this whole situation is dominating my thoughts. Same with my wife, who works in a large hospital. At this point she's assuming it's not if, but a matter of when she is exposed to it.

Meanwhile my son (24) texted me today to cancel dinner plans because he has a fever of 101 and a cough. His panic level is like 1 out of 10, if that. He said he thinks it's just a bad chest cold because he's been having trouble breathing off an on for two days. I don't want to put him into a worried/stressed out state, he's not even thinking it's Covid, whereas I can't help but immediately think of it. So I just said to monitor himself, rest, stay home and away from others and keep me posted. What else can I do? I'm not even sure he could get a test if he asked for one.
At this point there are only a handful of confirmed cases in Michigan but I assume that will change drastically in a short time period.
The good thing is for people his age corona is mostly not much more sever than a chest cold. So resting, drinkin enough and self-quarantine to not spread the disease are most important.
We have about 180 people tested positive in berlin and only 5 or 6 are in hospital care. (But thats also because so far luckily most of tgose positive cases are between 30 and 40)

I just travelled down south to see family last week and got back Tuesday night, which felt pretty risky. Did two short connecting flights both ways, half of them were severely empty, likely cancellations from concerns. Definitely the last air travel I will be doing for a good while.

My team at work has decided to WFH, no official mandate but a strong recommendation. Boston is starting to get that 28 Days Later vibe, empty streets, some grabby energy at the grocers. Not a good vibe at all.

My sister in Richmond, VA, just had her third child in the fall. She's a nurse practitioner and her husband is a high-school teacher. Their two sons are both daycare age. After my sister's comically short maternity leave finished in January, my mother took a leave of absence from her job to move to Richmond for six months to look after the baby during the day. She's living in a city where she doesn't know anyone else, far from her doctor and our universal health care system. I'm terrified for my mother.
I have family in Richmond. And I'm not too far from there myself. They are doing just fine there. I understand your concern and if you want me to help find any doctors or anything, let me know. But from my understanding, nothing is going haywire in Richmond yet.

Also, when all of this settles, if you ever go visit Richmond, please let me know! I'd come have a beer with you.

The media here are trying to stop people panicking. In a couple of weeks everyone in the UK will be panicking and we'll have our own travel restrictions.

That site has some great info. Here is another place for info about the virus:

Been hearing on the local news that the catering industry in Boston has been hit especially hard.

Meetings aren't being held because people are working from home, clients aren't traveling in and so on.

One company who usually averages about 150 meetings a day to cater said they only had 17 orders to fill yesterday before coming in. And once they arrived to work that number had gone down to 5.

They are already at the point where they need to to make the the call to lay people off. They want to be there for their long time employees and avoid layoffs as much as possible. But their hands are tied. It's at the point where the business owner is now paying for their salaries out of her own bank account.

Been hearing on the local news that the catering industry in Boston has been hit especially hard.

Meetings aren't being held because people are working from home, clients aren't traveling in and so on.

One company who usually averages about 150 meetings a day to cater said they only had 17 orders to fill yesterday before coming in. And once they arrived to work that number had gone down to 5.

They are already at the point where they need to to make the the call to lay people off. They want to be there for their long time employees and avoid layoffs as much as possible. But their hands are tied. It's at the point where the business owner is now paying for their salaries out of her own bank account.
This is just one of many parts that is going to really cause issues.

Think of all the restaurants open just during lunch in downtown areas. Without offices open, those places don't have revenue. All the food trucks/vendors that are screwed out of revenue from cancelled festivals. So many things I'm not thinking of. But lots of businesses are just going to fail. It's awful.

Think of all the restaurants open just during lunch in downtown areas. Without offices open, those places don't have revenue. All the food trucks/vendors that are screwed out of revenue from cancelled festivals. So many things I'm not thinking of. But lots of businesses are just going to fail. It's awful.

The worst part is rent doesn't care if you get laid off because of coronavirus.

I heard since most of the tech industry in California has moved to a work from home policy, all the restaurants that are very busy serving lunch to these workers are dead. They are in real trouble right now.

This is the part that is going to really cause issues.

Agreed, and while it would have probably been even more containable had they shut down everything a few weeks ago, hopefully if everyone hunkers down for a couple weeks we can flatten out the infection rate a bit and get things going again even still the pause on social living for a few weeks will likely hurt everyone’s bottom line unfortunately. Though it hopefully will save a few lives in the process too.

Agreed, and while it would have probably been even more containable had they shut down everything a few weeks ago, hopefully if everyone hunkers down for a couple weeks we can flatten out the infection rate a bit and get things going again even still the pause on social living for a few weeks will likely hurt everyone’s bottom line unfortunately. Though it hopefully will save a few lives in the process too.

I also wish they would consider cover rent / bills for people who's jobs goes on hiatus while the economy grinds to halt during this pandemic. If they can bail out investors on wall street in the order of $1.7 trillion to stimulate the economy and ease nerve surely they can help the people. But sadly, I don't have that much fait in our government. They will never do it.

I also wish they would consider cover rent / bills for people who's jobs goes on hiatus while the economy grinds to halt during this pandemic. If they can bail out investors on wall street in the order of $1.7 trillion to stimulate the economy and ease nerve surely they can help the people. But sadly, I don't have that much fait in our government. They will never do it.
I think a sort of national sick pay is in the house bill, but it will be a surprise if it makes it to/through the Senate.

A friend suggested that if there are restaurants you want to support but don't feel totally good about eating out right now, buy a gift card. The cash flow will help keep them afloat without putting anybody at risk.

Completely agree. If there was ever a time for coming together for the “better good” this is it. But Congress is having issues with the aid package that has been put forth. Remember when The 2008 financial crisis hit and they sent out “stimulus” checks? Something like that seems reasonable.

I have family in Richmond. And I'm not too far from there myself. They are doing just fine there. I understand your concern and if you want me to help find any doctors or anything, let me know. But from my understanding, nothing is going haywire in Richmond yet.

Also, when all of this settles, if you ever go visit Richmond, please let me know! I'd come have a beer with you.
Thanks, @Teeeee. I'm not as worried about the virus itself as I am about my mom's mental state. My sister's been reassuring her but still, what do we know? My mom's been fighting loneliness while down there and the uncertainty around the insurance situation only compounds her anxiety that I really wish she were home now. This is such an insane situation that it's really bringing to light the inadequacies of our preparedness and social safety nets. To think of all these people who are going to risk going into work sick because they can't afford not to, it's maddening.

Thanks, @Teeeee. I'm not as worried about the virus itself as I am about my mom's mental state. My sister's been reassuring her but still, what do we know? My mom's been fighting loneliness while down there and the uncertainty around the insurance situation only compounds her anxiety that I really wish she were home now. This is such an insane situation that it's really bringing to light the inadequacies of our preparedness and social safety nets. To think of all these people who are going to risk going into work sick because they can't afford not to, it's maddening.
I'm so sorry. That loneliness makes sense.

Oh totally, my company pretty much has said, if you want to stay home, you have to use vacation time. So, they're basically inviting people who may have been exposed to come in and expose everyone else.

I've been walking around with clorox wipes, wiping every door handle or elevator button I come across. And the wipe is coming away with gobs of dirt. Meaning I'm the first person to have cleaned those spots in .... years? That's just so not ok.

Back