Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I don’t quite understand why everyone wants to rush to test. I could test negative today and have an exposure tomorrow. Testing the symptomatic or those at high risk makes sense.
I don't want a test to see if I have it or not. I want as many people as possible tested so we can actually get a true picture of where it is and how it is spreading, so that officials can make educated decisions. As some have pointed out though, it is too late in the major outbreak areas and the shortage of available PPE does make sense to prioritize testing as you said. The problem is, even people with symptoms are having trouble getting tested. The only people who don't seem to be having a hard time getting tested are celebrities and politicians, even asymptomatic ones.

Ideally we could test everyone and that data would be valuable. I just don't see how it is possible soon. If we had ramped up testing when we should have I want to think things would be very different.

I don’t quite understand why everyone wants to rush to test. I could test negative today and have an exposure tomorrow. Testing the symptomatic or those at high risk makes sense.

You need to test, test and retest and do intensive tracing and serious case isolation. That's how South Korea flattened a massively spiking curve. It's the only way to avoid massive deaths without a vaccine or therapeutics. And the only way to be able to eventually relax the social isolation measures and get back to work.

Note that the real key test will be the antibody test. One was developed this week. This way we can find out who is already immune (since it seems that many may have had this and have no idea) - those people become invaluable because they can go out safely.

Or you can wait until august when about 100,000 - 1,000,000 people have died in your country alone. Not exaggerating here. Locking down for 1-3 months and then opening things up only delays things.

If you have symptoms you should be tested immediately. If you think you have it, but don't and self isolate and then go back into the public you risk catching it for real and spreading it around everywhere because you think you're now immune.

I don't want a test to see if I have it or not. I want as many people as possible tested so we can actually get a true picture of where it is and how it is spreading, so that officials can make educated decisions. As some have pointed out though, it is too late in the major outbreak areas and the shortage of available PPE does make sense to prioritize testing as you said. The problem is, even people with symptoms are having trouble getting tested. The only people who don't seem to be having a hard time getting tested are celebrities and politicians, even asymptomatic ones.

Ideally we could test everyone and that data would be valuable. I just don't see how it is possible soon. If we had ramped up testing when we should have I want to think things would be very different.
I don’t think it would. Honestly, we live in the news is fake world and people don’t trust anything. I got a call from my dad today (he’s almost 70 and my mom is a diabetic with a wound that won’t heal after 7 years).... he said they were driving around and wanted to swing by the house to visit with us. Fortunately I was at work, because I really don’t want them getting sick on my conscience because I’m at high risk for exposure because I work in a hospital. The posts about Ohio is what’s wrong here and the Orange clown in office getting on television everyday and saying stupid shit. Test data isn’t going to show us anything that we don’t already know, it’s spreads most rapidly in highly populated areas because we can’t be bothered to listen to what everyone is telling us. Stay six feet away from people. If you’re sick, stay home. Stop touching everything and wash your damn hands.

This article was posted here yesterday and it really is excellent.

Basically, if we in the west had done earlier massive testing, tracing and serious case isolation, we might not have had to shut most things down. Now it's still important to get us out of these measures.

I have a bum knee and can't jog much these days. Being that I'm in LA, I also lack room for an machinery in my pad... and I don't have a bike atm (because cars in LA don't like bicyclists). So my home girl from high school recommended this workout. I skip the portions that test my knee or flexability but would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a good ass-kicking.

Also, frat sister (co-ed society) runs this yoga channel:

You need to test, test and retest and do intensive tracing and serious case isolation. That's how South Korea flattened a massively spiking curve. It's the only way to avoid massive deaths without a vaccine or therapeutics. And the only way to be able to eventually relax the social isolation measures and get back to work.

Note that the real key test will be the antibody test. One was developed this week. This way we can find out who is already immune (since it seems that many may have had this and have no idea) - those people become invaluable because they can go out safely.

Or you can wait until august when about 100,000 - 1,000,000 people have died in your country alone. Not exaggerating here. Locking down for 1-3 months and then opening things up only delays things.

They tested and keep testing everybody in South Korea because they were at a early stage of spreading. It's too late for countries where there are already thousands of cases. Tests at a larger scale in "infected countries" is a waste of time and people. People should just stay home and avoid any contact, that's how they can help hospitals to deal with serious cases. Honestly I don't need to be tested. I am at home 24h a day, I only go out to buy some food and that's it. I am very careful, don't touch nor talk to anybody and wash my hands the minute I come home. I am not saying I won't have it but I am reducing the possibility.

I might be wrong, I am not an expert, but the "real problem" with the Covid-19 is not the virus itself. The real issue is that it's very contagious and a lot of people need medical assistance at the same time. The information we have from medias is that "only" 1 to 2% are dying due to the virus and most were already facing other health problems. Thing is that it's easy to an hospital to deal with 10 infected people, not so easy when you have hundreds of them.

They tested and keep testing everybody in South Korea because they were at a early stage of spreading. It's too late for countries where there are already thousands of cases. Tests at a larger scale in "infected countries" is a waste of time and people. People should just stay home and avoid any contact, that's how they can help hospitals to deal with serious cases. Honestly I don't need to be tested. I am at home 24h a day, I only go out to buy some food and that's it. I am very careful, don't touch nor talk to anybody and wash my hands the minute I come home. I am not saying I won't have it but I am reducing the possibility.

I might be wrong, I am not an expert, but the "real problem" with the Covid-19 is not the virus itself. The real issue is that it's very contagious and a lot of people need medical assistance at the same time. The information we have from medias is that "only" 1 to 2% are dying due to the virus and most were already facing other health problems. Thing is that it's easy to an hospital to deal with 10 infected people, not so easy when you have hundreds of them.

Yes the West missed an important window. This is why we are all in lockdown - it's simply impossible to test everyone with symptoms quick enough and do the tracing quick enough to isolate those that need to be. Part of the problem is also that we're too stupid to follow instructions and stay home. We always think these things happen in movies or elsewhere.

Now, in case it's not clear nobody is talking about massive testing of everyone. Even South Korea didn't do that. But we still didn't ramp it up fast enough so now you isolate everyone to allow time to catch-up. Still doesn't mean people with symptoms should not be tested. And you need to increase the criteria pool for testing as much as the testing capacity makes it possible. It's far from a waste of time. They absolutely need to know if and when the measures result in a plateau of new cases. Once the number of new cases is squashed (you only know this from testing), you can relax measures but at that point you have to start massive testing any time someone has symptoms, and do serious tracing and isolation so infections don't spike again. The tracing and compliance is super important at that point. A single douchebag not complying can cause another spike.

You are correct that the problem is the infectiousness of the virus. But it's not that alone. Measles is 10X more infectious and just as dangerous. The issue is nobody has immunity (until they have caught it and won, symptoms or not) - there is therefore no "walls" to stop it from spreading. That "herd immunity" if you will (with Measles, the "wall" are created by all those that are vaccinated). The sheer numbers of people getting it at the same time is the issue as you point out. The hospitals being able to cope vs not is being estimated as 0.5-1% fatality vs. 5-7% if the system collapses. In the current situation without therapies.

As I mentioned above, the antibody test will be very important. This is what you use to see if someone has had covid and recovered. There are so many variations in the mild symptoms and many asymptomatics. You can start administering that to the general population starting with essential service people. Those with antibodies are safe (cannot get it, cannot spread it) and will be invaluable to society.

Also, all those you tested and found as positive which recovered are in that "safe" pool. So you already have that data if you massively tested.

Bottom line is that not ramping up testing and not implementing strong case tracing = isolation until October (according to experts) unless therapies are found. It's far from useless.

Rumors are flying that our governor is shutting down Michigan at 11 am today. The cowboy mentality of many at my workplace is that they don't want to be told what to do by our Democrat governor. That's great.
The way I want to gently explain it to them is that right now we should consider the government in a spot similar to a referee. Yes, we know how to play the game, but sometimes people can't help but break the rules. This means the ref has to step in and oversee that we are doing what we should. I mean, this is all meant to HELP EACH OTHER.

Anyway...

Last edited:
Back