Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

US does not have a system in place to test like foreign countries, lawmakers told
From CNN's Manu Raju

Several members emerged from a House briefing on the coronavirus pandemic saying that they were told that tests would increase — but that the briefers acknowledged that the US system is trying to catch up to other countries like South Korea.
“I don’t think anyone is going to leave that briefing satisfied with what’s going on with testing right now," Democrat Rep. Mike Quigley said. "Bottom line, you leave that briefing and we are not where we need to be and not sure when we are going to get there. We are flying blind.”
He added: “I think the first thing they said was we don’t have a system that works like it does in other countries to adequately test at this time."
Rep. Jan Schawkowsky said that they were told 7,300 tests have been conducted by the public sector and 3,800 tests by private labs.
“I think everyone leaving that briefing is feeling more confused than ever and disappointed in the numbers that we heard — that we really don’t have a system that tests are being distributed and tests are being given,” Schakowsky said

Why am I not surprised that our healthcare system is broken.

The last night I worked we still had the positive and/or rule out patients in Airborne rooms - negative pressure rooms like we would use for TB, measles, SARS.

I just read a new email from yesterday that this is no longer needed....just contact & droplet precautions - which is the same as Influenza. They would still need to be in a neg. pressure room if they are on a cpap/bi-pap, ventilator, or getting nebulizer treatments, as this can aerosolize the sputum.

The issue I have is that everyday they tell us something new, or something that we were told to do yesterday isn't the right way today. These issues are going to get a lot of health care workers sick.

And Trump still wants to cut CDC's funding even more than he has.

He is more worried about fixing the economic fall out and not the actual problem. I really hope this opens some people's eyes come November

Last edited:
From the article that was posted in the science thread, health wise this appears to be a concern, but nothing out of the ordinary.
But it seems that financially this is going to be a really big deal for a lot of people. I understand the stock market will rebound when there is some certainty, but that only matters if your job in the financial sector or were planning to retire before it bounces back. What about the every day people that will miss paychecks because of their jobs closing. Will people miss mortgage payments and rent because of this? How long with this burden them financially after it settles down?

How can you say this? Have you read what's happening in Italy?

The article was published before what waa happening in Italy, but there is a lot we don't know about this virus. We really don;t know the amount of people who have been exposed so there maybe a lot of people walking around that have been exposed that have no symptoms. Usually in these situations the worst comes first because that is what is obvious that is easiest to measure.

Last edited:
The article was published before what waa happening in Italy, but there is a lot we don't know about this virus. We really don;t know the amount of people who have been exposed so there maybe a lot of people walking around that have been exposed that have no symptoms. Usually in these situations the worst comes first because that is what is obvious that is easiest to measure.
I don't see how that changes the fact that completely overwhelming hospitals is very much out of the ordinary.

I give it another few hours before conspiracy theorists link COVID19 to streaming services. After all, we're staring down the barrel of several months of Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon. Hell, if things get really bad, I might even try Apple TV again.

I've had a free trial of that since November when I got a new phone and I'm still yet to watch a single thing on it.

Back