Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

When I try to book an appointment through my medical group, they were letting my pick if I want to mix and match. To bad it keeps coming up over and over again as no appointments available.

Same is happening with CVS and Walgreens though. However, with CVS and Walgreens their site only asks me what vaccine I previously got and not which one I want. So I assume I automatically get the same vaccine if I go with them?
No it doesn't necessarily automatically give you what you got previously. I did mine through CVS yesterday and although I had Pfizer for my initial two, the only available CVS only had Moderna, so that's all they let me select once I got to that stage of booking the appointment.

I really fear what any future pandemic in the United States looks like. The GOP is trying to outlaw much of what was done for covid and reverse everything else.

This makes a lot more sense than comparing the interaction of death rates and county mandates. I think voting affiliation is more of a predictor of human behavior or the willingness to comply with the mandates.

Last edited:
@Turbo what fresh hell is this??!!

A new super-variant could be created if Omicron and Delta infect someone at the same time, one of Moderna's bosses has warned.

Covid infections normally only involve one mutant strain, but in extremely rare cases two can strike at the same time.

If these also infect the same cell, they may be able to swap DNA and combine to make a new version of the virus.

Dr Paul Burton, the vaccine maker's chief medical officer, warned the high numbers of Delta and Omicron cases currently circulating in Britain made this more likely.

@Turbo what fresh hell is this??!!

A new super-variant could be created if Omicron and Delta infect someone at the same time, one of Moderna's bosses has warned.

Covid infections normally only involve one mutant strain, but in extremely rare cases two can strike at the same time.

If these also infect the same cell, they may be able to swap DNA and combine to make a new version of the virus.

Dr Paul Burton, the vaccine maker's chief medical officer, warned the high numbers of Delta and Omicron cases currently circulating in Britain made this more likely.

Coronavirus mRNA can recombine within a cell. Their transcription is already error prone, and recombination adds extra level of mixing and matching to generate variants and evolve. But normally this occurs with only the one variant that infects a subject and it's part of how variants arise, whether they are advantageous for the virus or not.

But in theory - in cells in vitro and in at least one documented patient in France - if two variants infect at the same time and enter the same cell (which is unlikely but increases in likelihood the more people are infected), recombination could occur across two different variant mRNAs.

From what can gather, this should be rare. The infection would really have to be almost simultaneous because the response for one should fight the other upon entry. And infect the exact same cell. Two variants in the body infecting different cells (which is mathematically most likely if co-infection does happen) wouldn't lead to recombination across variants. Maybe immunosuppressed individuals could be a vector where this could be more likely?

Note that were a person infected by two different variants at the same time, they will not necessarily be more sick. it really depends on their immune system (vaccination status + prior exposure + general health of the immune system) vs. how big of a viral load they were exposed to.

Coronavirus mRNA can recombine within a cell. Their transcription is already error prone, and recombination adds extra level of mixing and matching to generate variants and evolve. But normally this occurs with only the one variant that infects a subject and it's part of how variants arise, whether they are advantageous for the virus or not.

But in theory - in cells in vitro and in at least one documented patient in France - if two variants infect at the same time and enter the same cell (which is unlikely but increases in likelihood the more people are infected), recombination could occur across two different variant mRNAs.

From what can gather, this should be rare. The infection would really have to be almost simultaneous because the response for one should fight the other upon entry. And infect the exact same cell. Two variants in the body infecting different cells (which is mathematically most likely if co-infection does happen) wouldn't lead to recombination across variants. Maybe immunosuppressed individuals could be a vector where this could be more likely?

Note that were a person infected by two different variants at the same time, they will not necessarily be more sick. it really depends on their immune system (vaccination status + prior exposure + general health of the immune system) vs. how big of a viral load they were exposed to.
I'm most worried about those immunosuppressed people where this virus seems to like to hang out and do weird things. Given how high the R factor is for Omicron, I can see the mathematical probabilities for recombination and double infections to be more and more common. This thing just won't stop mutating.

I'm most worried about those immunosuppressed people where this virus seems to like to hang out and do weird things. Given how high the R factor is for Omicron, I can see the mathematical probabilities for recombination and double infections to be more and more common. This thing just won't stop mutating.

Immunosuppressed individuals is the first thing that came to mind for me too when I read your post.

As weird as it sounds in context, we're lucky that coronaviruses are actually comparatively bad at mutating compared to other viruses because they do have some level of proof reading to protect themselves from mutations and there is a single RNA strand. Influenza in comparison is just an evolution machine with no error correction and 8 different RNA strands to mix and match by recombination within a cell.

Local news just published a story estimating that between 10-12% of all Indiana residents (roughly 675k-800k) has an active COVID infection right now.

That number is staggering. I'm struggling to wrap my head around it.

Local news just published a story estimating that between 10-12% of all Indiana residents (roughly 675k-800k) has an active COVID infection right now.

This looks like it is an inference based on Covid hospitalizations. Currently, we believe that about 1-5% of all people who contract Covid are hospitalized, so they took the hospitalization numbers and did some backwards math to get the prevalence estimate here. But man, that's quite an inference to make, given we aren't sure about Omicron hospitalization rates. This estimate could be higher.

On the other hand, I guess only having 0.5% of your active infections requiring hospitalization is a...good thing?

That fun, considering I just visited Valparaiso, Indiana for 5 days last week.

Only five days? But how did you fit all of Valpo's sights and activities into a single week?!
I don't know, I quite like Valparaiso now. Downtown is pretty nice, full of great restaurants and such. They built an ice skating rink, have a lot of live music outside (not in 35 degree weather, obviously) and inside. It's a pretty thriving small city now, since they have the university and a lot of money moving there. I believe the south shore is going to connect soon.

I don't know, I quite like Valparaiso now. Downtown is pretty nice, full of great restaurants and such. They built an ice skating rink, have a lot of live music outside (not in 35 degree weather, obviously) and inside. It's a pretty thriving small city now, since they have the university and a lot of money moving there. I believe the south shore is going to connect soon.
I’m teasing, it’s a perfectly nice town. A college roommate of mine was from there, and there used to be a girl who would’ve been trouble if she’d lived any closer…

…anyway, what brings you that way?

We had dodged it but COVID finally hit home. My GFs coworker got it, confirmed this morning, grabbed rapid tests and she is positive and not having a good time with it. I’m negative for now and on the couch. Luckily she is vaccinated but both our boosters were scheduled for tomorrow so it’s a down point, it’s scary stuff.

As an entirely unrelated aside, the corporate desire to force everyone back into closed office environments can go yeet itself.

I don't have Covid, but I'm going to be traveling to see my parents for Christmas and think I should probably take a test before doing so just to be extra safe. There seems to be several different take home tests that you can buy from various drug stores and it's not clear which one is the best/most reliable. Does anyone have some advice on which is the best? which that they have used successfully in the past? I am fearful of things in my nose and I've never been tested for Covid at all over the past 2 years so if it's less invasive that would be a bonus.

Back