Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

The number of hospitalizations are starting to spike again in some cities where there are low vaccination rates.

Deaths are not up yet, but that could change soon.

Delta is hitting the unvaccinated ard. Especially the young and African Americans.

Experts are warning that Delta could lead to a very tough fall in the United States
But that all vaccines have been shown to be effective against serious illness or death for all variants, so get ya shot!

I was just horrified to learn that the county with the lowest vaccination rate in the country only has 13% of people eligible for the vaccination fully vaccinated.

I didn't catch the name of the county, but it is located in Missouri.

It's also one of the places being hit hardest by Delta. 😭

Reading that half the infected in Israel right now were fully vaccinated. And delta is hitting Israel hard right now.

Also one thing I have seen in numerous reports is the young are being hit hard by delta and getting very sick / requiring hospitalizations.

Is this because they have a higher rate of exposure and might be less likely to be vaccinated than elderly, or is Delta more likely to make the young sick then the elderly. The reverse of what we saw last year?

Reading that half the infected in Israel right now were fully vaccinated. And delta is hitting Israel hard right now.

Also one thing I have seen in numerous reports is the young are being hit hard by delta and getting very sick / requiring hospitalizations.

Is this because they have a higher rate of exposure and might be less likely to be vaccinated than elderly, or is Delta more likely to make the young sick then the elderly. The reverse of what we saw last year?
I wonder if it is because more older people are now vaccinated but they aren't doing it for kids yet? Not young ones anyway. But that would be especially bad given the long term health problems. The recent research on what it does to the brain is very troubling. We're in for a world of pain if it hits the young and causes long term health problems. Especially with the shit healthcare system in the US and the lack of solid healthcare in so much of the world.

I wonder if it is because more older people are now vaccinated but they aren't doing it for kids yet? Not young ones anyway. But that would be especially bad given the long term health problems. The recent research on what it does to the brain is very troubling. We're in for a world of pain if it hits the young and causes long term health problems. Especially with the shit healthcare system in the US and the lack of solid healthcare in so much of the world.

From what I understand, it's related to the lower vaccination rates of younger people. Full vaccination is still doing its job with delta (most recorded break-through infections in Canada were asymptomatic or very mild - there was one death though, but an 80 y.o. with serious comorbidities).

My work has been very tight-lipped about its reopening plan, and really has been pretty "let's not talk about the unpleasantness" about the pandemic in general. Every announcement since last March has boiled down to "we're trying to figure out reopening, but you are free to work from home until [insert some month 2-6 months from now]." Our office culture is very in-person, community-oriented (it veers on forced fun at times), and a lot of people are itching to get back in.

I have a few coworkers whose productivity has dipped in the last 15 months and have requested to start working from the office once more. I'm on the opposite end and honestly feel no real rush to get back into the office; I like that I have more control over my time, and it's been easier to develop healthy habits re: food and exercise. Yesterday our department head pulled us into zoom with a reopening announcement which was "we don't have a plan, but we want a hybrid model and won't be truly reopening the office until December." All employees who do want to work in the office can get in touch with their manager to make arrangements. If I want to go back to the office I'll need to take the initiative and come up with a plan that suits me, advocate for what equipment I need or want.

My company is also overwhelmingly religious in makeup (it's not uncommon to see people share messages of hope from the LDS in Slack), and I think there may be many who don't actually want to vaccinate. There's no indication of whether we'd need to be masked in office, or if they're requiring vaccination in order to return to the office. I honestly don't trust some of these people but I'm nervous to push back and request that management express a clear stance on masking and vaccination in the workplace.

Which, to me, feels like a microcosm of how the entire country is handling this thing. My county is opening up as of yesterday, and masks aren't required. I went into the corner store today and the staff was unmasked, but many shoppers were. It's been left up to the individual to decide what they consider risky, what level of risk they want to expose themselves to, and in what capacity they'll mitigate that risk. It feels like we're back in February 2020 and we've learned nothing from this massive tragedy. We're just whistling past the graveyard for the foreseeable future.

CNN had a story about the 10 things we learned from COVID travelers this year

Not surprisingly, many people from around the world are traveling to the united states to get a jab. Most often while on vacation on an Island or Territory of the United States.

Another article states that for many republicans, not getting a vaccine is considered a badge of honor.

So we have people traveling from around the world to the US to get COVID vaccinations and many of our own citizens who do not want them.

I just heard that lying to your SO over your vaccination status is a thing.

A couple weekends my mother went camping at the Pocono Raceway for the NASCAR race. My mother and step father shared a RV with one of his best friends. Who also brought along his girlfriend, daughter and her husband.

The topic came up of raise your hand if you have been vaccinated and only my mother's hand went up. My step fathers friend was like "we don't believe in the vaccine at our house."

Later that night, my step fathers friends girlfriend confided in my mother that she in fact has been vaccinated. She has to be to visit high risk family members. But she can't openly say or admit to her SO that she has been vaccinated because he is so against it.

wow, just wow is all I have to say.

Glad to see that Norwegian is taking a stand.
My thoughts on this are that they kinda had to do this. It's entirely reasonable for a private company to restrict passengers to those that are vaccinated. Forcing them to take unvaccinated passengers would open them up to all sorts of litigation if someone gets very sick and dies of Covid because they did not check vaccination statuses. IMHO, this was the only reasonable answer to the law.

eh, it's the american way about everything else why not this?

The article headline came up different than what it was on CNN. But basically the part that has me really worried is that up to 30% of children who become infected by covid / delta may become covid long-haulers. And that is very alarming.

The article headline came up different than what it was on CNN. But basically the part that has me really worried is that up to 30% of children who become infected by covid / delta may become covid long-haulers. And that is very alarming.
We've been diving into Covid long hauler data and our findings have been consistent with others in that, it seems to affect the body for about 3 months before symptoms fade for most patients.

First here's a great synopsis of what "long Covid" really is:
“Long COVID” is a term used to describe presence of various symptoms, even weeks or months after acquiring SARS-CoV-2 infection irrespective of the viral status [8]. It is also called “post-COVID syndrome”. It can be continuous or relapsing and remitting in nature [9]. There can be the persistence of one or more symptoms of acute COVID, or appearance of new symptoms. Majority of people with post-COVID syndrome are PCR negative, indicating microbiological recovery. In other words, post COVID syndrome is the time lag between the microbiological recovery and clinical recovery [10]. Majority of those with long COVID show biochemical and radiological recovery. Depending upon the duration of symptoms, post COVID or Long COVID can be divided into two stages-post acute COVID where symptoms extend beyond 3 weeks, but less than 12 weeks, and chronic COVID where symptoms extend beyond 12 weeks

Risk factors:
Follow up of patients recovered from COVID identified a few factors which are commonly associated with development of long COVID. The risk of long COVID is twice common in women compared to men [9]. Increasing age is also a risk factor and it is found that patients with long COVID are around four years older than those without [9]. Presence of more than 5 symptoms in the acute stage of illness is associated with increased risk of developing long COVID [20]. Symptoms most commonly associated with long COVID include fatigue, headache, dyspnea, hoarse voice and myalgia [20]. Presence of co morbidities also increases the risk of developing post COVID syndrome. Even those with mild symptoms at initial presentation were noted to develop long COVID.

This article mainly looks at hospitalized people and their long covid, but in the general population, we are seeing symptoms fade for most people, because most people do not fall in the risk group stated above.

Some articles are tagging long hauler covid as being at about a 10% prevalence in the population that contracted covid.

Overall, approximately 10% of people who’ve had COVID-19 experience prolonged symptoms, a UK team estimated in a recently published Practice Pointer on postacute COVID-19 management. And yet, the authors wrote, primary care physicians have little evidence to guide their care.
As Their Numbers Grow, COVID-19 “Long Haulers” Stump Experts

But when we start actually slicing and dicing this into days (or weeks) post infection, we see that there are drop offs (at least in the data we're looking at) in symptoms from 60 to 90 to 120 days. I really like the way this analysis breaks it down.

We analyzed data from 4,182 incident cases of COVID-19 in which individuals self-reported their symptoms prospectively in the COVID Symptom Study app1. A total of 558 (13.3%) participants reported symptoms lasting ≥28 days, 189 (4.5%) for ≥8 weeks and 95 (2.3%) for ≥12 weeks.

And while there are reports of Covid harming organ tissue, it seems to get better as time goes on--or the difference between microbiological recovery and clinical recovery--as long as the person isn't in one of those risk groups with the comorbid conditions.

As an aside, this study suggests that Epstein–Barr virus (EBV)

We found the prevalence of long COVID symptoms to be 30.3% (56/185), which included 4 initially asymptomatic COVID-19 patients who later developed long COVID symptoms. Next, we found that 66.7% (20/30) of long COVID subjects versus 10% (2/20) of control subjects in our primary study group were positive for EBV reactivation based on positive titers for EBV early antigen-diffuse (EA-D) IgG or EBV viral capsid antigen (VCA) IgM. The difference was significant (p < 0.001, Fisher’s exact test). A similar ratio was observed in a secondary group of 18 subjects 21–90 days after testing positive for COVID-19, indicating reactivation may occur soon after or concurrently with COVID-19 infection. These findings suggest that many long COVID symptoms may not be a direct result of the SARS-CoV-2 virus but may be the result of COVID-19 inflammation-induced EBV reactivation.

So, is this scary? Yes. But, there are still a lot of things we don't know about this virus. Don't worry too much. We have been finding that most people that are healthy tend to recover. It might take a while, but they do recover. Just like the myocarditis that the vaccines were causing, researchers found that the organ damage was only temporary for a majority of the young men who had this side effect.

But also, don't be dumb. The delta variant is here, so maybe consider social distancing, masking, and avoiding large gatherings.

Back