Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

This Hotze guy goes on and on about how it IS experimental (wrong) never fully tested (wrong) and that it IS gene therapy. (wrong) I don't understand how a doctor (or anyone, but especially a doctor) can be SO irresponsible. I've been really wound up about this all day...and sadly I'm fully aware that this is just a fraction of all the misinformation out there. Meanwhile, my coworker is not only more scared of the vaccine than the virus, but he is telling everyone that will listen. Two other coworkers decided he and Hotze are correct and won't be getting the vaccine under any circumstances. An actual quote: "I'm the bread winner, I can't leave my wife with no money if the vaccine kills me, can't take that chance."

I totally understand. I can get myself worked up pretty badly over the same kinds of issues. I think you're a way better person than me being able to withstand it day in and day out.

This Hotze guy goes on and on about how it IS experimental (wrong) never fully tested (wrong) and that it IS gene therapy. (wrong) I don't understand how a doctor (or anyone, but especially a doctor) can be SO irresponsible. I've been really wound up about this all day...and sadly I'm fully aware that this is just a fraction of all the misinformation out there. Meanwhile, my coworker is not only more scared of the vaccine than the virus, but he is telling everyone that will listen. Two other coworkers decided he and Hotze are correct and won't be getting the vaccine under any circumstances. An actual quote: "I'm the bread winner, I can't leave my wife with no money if the vaccine kills me, can't take that chance."
I guess doctors gotta eat too.
After being largely ignored by providers for a year now, I can firmly say that doctors aren't infallible. I don't really understand why people expect more from them just because they went to school for a while. They fall prey to the same ills as everyone else, including, and most often hubris.

After being largely ignored by providers for a year now, I can firmly say that doctors aren't infallible. I don't really understand why people expect more from them just because they went to school for a while. They fall prey to the same ills as everyone else, including, and most often hubris.
I went to college with a guy who we had to take to the hospital once because he was suffering swelling of the brain due to huffing too much keyboard duster. Later he would get kicked out of school for drunkenly attempting to beat someone with a tire iron...the SECOND time he had done so.

Anyway, he’s a surgeon now. Good luck to you if you end up in his OR.

I don't really understand why people expect more from them just because they went to school for a while
For information about the virus, something that specific, it just disappoints me that someone uses their title to spread this crap.

I think you're a way better person than me being able to withstand it day in and day out.
There are days I want to just quit, but I've been here 32 years and I don't want to let someone else and their shitty stance on things be my reason for finally leaving. But honestly, it's starting to affect my mental health, I can't believe how angry I get at these people. It's getting a bit toxic. Yesterday two coworkers got in a heated yelling match as others stood around cheering the anti-vax position-guy and making fun of the guy trying to hold his ground that the vaccine is a good thing. Luckily they agreed to not talk about it anymore instead of it coming to blows...but it sounded close. They agreed to disagree. But, I have a big issue when people say "hey, we have a difference of opinion on this" when they are espousing something not based in any solid facts.
"2 + 2 = 4"
"I say it's five. Let's agree to disagree, we can each have our own opinion on this."

For information about the virus, something that specific, it just disappoints me that someone uses their title to spread this crap.

I really like reading science books (both popular and a bit more specific), but if I see the name on the front cover ending with an MD or PhD, I become a bit reticent to pick it up, for this reason.

For anyone curious about this latest source of (mis?)information on the vaccine, the guy's name is Dr Steven Hotze. Says he personally knows several people that died two days after getting the vaccine.

What is his angle? Why go through this?

I realized something in the last 20 minutes; my coworker is actually terrified of dying from the vaccine because he says his life insurance won't pay off if he dies from an experimental gene therapy treatment. This manipulation of people is gross, it really is.
My dad sent me this last night.

Screenshot_20210316-225629.png
Screenshot_20210316-225643.png

Even me saying it's true about any new medication isn't really true, but point stands. Dad presents unsolicited misinformation. I rebuff. I'm bothering him.

My dad sent me this last night.

View attachment 92393
View attachment 92394

Even me saying it's true about any new medication isn't really true, but point stands. Dad presents unsolicited misinformation. I rebuff. I'm bothering him.

I feel for you, when it's a family member it has to be even tougher. At least with my coworkers I leave every day and rarely take the baggage home with me. Although yesterday I couldn't shake it.

I feel for you, when it's a family member it has to be even tougher. At least with my coworkers I leave every day and rarely take the baggage home with me. Although yesterday I couldn't shake it.
Yeah, despite their political tendencies for misinformation, they both at least still plan on getting it. My mom got her first dose this morning actually. My dad's out of town for work but has his scheduled for when he gets back.

So, It's official. All the big vaccine makers are going to hike up the price of any Covid booster shots once the pandemic is over.

“As this shifts from pandemic to endemic, we think there’s an opportunity here for us,” said Frank D’Amelio, the chief financial officer for Pfizer, at a conference. Additional factors, such as the need for booster shots, present “a significant opportunity for our vaccine from a demand perspective, from a pricing perspective, given the clinical profile of our vaccine.”

Moderna and Johnson & Johnson have also pledged affordability for their vaccines for the duration of the pandemic but have indicated to investors that they plan to return to more “commercial” pricing as early as later this year.

The vaccines are already poised to be some of the most lucrative drugs of all time. The companies are expecting to bring in billions in profit this year alone, and all the major drugmakers with approved coronavirus vaccines received investments and backorders from government agencies.

The U.S. government has fully financed the research and development of several coronavirus vaccines, including those produced by Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, to the tune of over $2 billion. The U.S. has also provided nearly $2 billion in payments to secure doses of Pfizer’s vaccine, which was developed in partnership with BioNTech, a company that received nearly $500 million in development assistance from the German government.

Pretty good meta-analysis of asymptomatic Covid and what we know regarding its virulence:

Transmission without symptoms critically contributes to the unabated spread of SARS-CoV-2 and presents a considerable infection prevention challenge. Although asymptomatic individuals appear to be contagious for a shorter period of time and may pose a lower transmission risk, they still pose a substantial public health risk as they are more likely to be out in the community. It is unclear how vaccination will affect the number of asymptomatic cases, although preliminary data suggest that mass immunization will reduce infection overall, thus reducing transmission. For presymptomatic cases, research has shown that viral shedding is highest just before and for a few days after symptoms begin, which is a critical time to ensure that individuals who may not realize they have been exposed stay home when possible and practice risk reduction efforts when in the community. Until there is widespread implementation of robust surveillance and epidemiological measures that allow us to put out these smokeless fires, the COVID-19 pandemic cannot be fully extinguished.

As an academic with a PhD anyone who uses their titles is a wanker not to be trusted.
giphy.gif

the TL;DR executive summary appears to be "the long-haul covid aftereffects have been seen in other illnesses and is not unique to covid"

I had viral pericarditis about 3 years ago, possibly caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, and the heart issues only lasted a month, but the general feeling weak and crappy lasted well over a year. When I read about the long-haulers, it sounds a bit similar to my experience.

Got my first dose of Moderna yesterday. I feel like I've been stabbed in the arm after a night of TOO MANY SHOTS today. But it's tapering off now.

I got my second dose of Moderna two days ago. With the first one, I had the shoulder pain but nothing else. This second one had me feeling tired and achy most of the following day (I ended up napping, something I never do), but I went to bed early, and I woke up feeling fine this morning (except the shoulder being a bit sore still).

Got the J&J shot yesterday. Last night had a headache, and woke up with chills-- this morning, feeling a little achey and tired, but the headache is mostly gone and so are the chills. I suspect I'll feel totally fine by the end of the day, or tomorrow.

Got very lucky-- there was a FEMA vaccination clinic an hour away that had extra doses at the end of the day, on their final day of vaccinating. We rushed over and were one of the last ones in line.

Got my notification from my hospital that I'm now eligible for the vaccine, but I have to wait until after April 15th to schedule because you have to be 90 days out from testing positive before getting it. Hopefully the stock will keep on getting replenished so more dates are added, they only have shots/appointments up to April 13th at the moment.

So, It's official. All the big vaccine makers are going to hike up the price of any Covid booster shots once the pandemic is over.

“As this shifts from pandemic to endemic, we think there’s an opportunity here for us,” said Frank D’Amelio, the chief financial officer for Pfizer, at a conference. Additional factors, such as the need for booster shots, present “a significant opportunity for our vaccine from a demand perspective, from a pricing perspective, given the clinical profile of our vaccine.”

Moderna and Johnson & Johnson have also pledged affordability for their vaccines for the duration of the pandemic but have indicated to investors that they plan to return to more “commercial” pricing as early as later this year.

The vaccines are already poised to be some of the most lucrative drugs of all time. The companies are expecting to bring in billions in profit this year alone, and all the major drugmakers with approved coronavirus vaccines received investments and backorders from government agencies.

The U.S. government has fully financed the research and development of several coronavirus vaccines, including those produced by Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, to the tune of over $2 billion. The U.S. has also provided nearly $2 billion in payments to secure doses of Pfizer’s vaccine, which was developed in partnership with BioNTech, a company that received nearly $500 million in development assistance from the German government.

Here is a nice article in monde diplomatique on the issue of vaccines for all countries

On 18 January 2021, the Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, made this devastating observation: ‘More than 39 million doses of vaccine have now been in at least 49 high-income countries. Only 25 doses have been administered in one of the lowest income countries. Not 25 million; not 25 thousand; only 25.’ He spoke of the likelihood of a ‘catastrophic moral failure’.

Back