Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

An 8th death has now been linked to the wedding in Maine.

Also, Texas is moving forward with reopening next week. They are lifting more restrictions and increasing indoor dining and bar capacity to 75%. This despite having the third highest number of deaths in the Country and seeing an uptick in cases over the last 2 months.

Last edited:

Here we go again:

On Monday morning, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention swiftly edited its web page describing how the novel coronavirus spreads, removing recently added language saying it was “possible” that the virus spread via airborne transmission. The agency had posted information Friday suggesting the virus can transmit over a distance beyond six feet, suggesting that indoor ventilation is key to protection against its spread. Many aerosol experts had been advancing that idea for months, and it had appeared that the agency had come around to their point of view. But Monday, the CDC said an unreviewed draft had been published in error.

Somebody with political power didn't like information and had it taken down most likely.

All this flipping, flopping and backtracking on everything is making me dizzy.

More on the CDC taking down the guidance that they said was posted "erroneously" last friday.

It appears the scientists who complained loudly about the CDC changing their guidance to recommended not getting tested if you are not symptomatic and were not asked for their input or concurrence handed the favor back to the Trump administration by updating their guidance without the input or concurrence of the Trump Administration or Coronavirus Task Force.

The CDC is claiming a "draft" version of their guidance was erroneously posted last Friday, and that their official guidance does not include that the virus may be airborne and can spread more than 6' feet when aerosolized.

The scientists are saying the data shows that it maybe. And that is their recommendation for guidance. But for political reasons, it was pulled.

Here we go again:

Somebody with political power didn't like information and had it taken down most likely.

All this flipping, flopping and backtracking on everything is making me dizzy.

I honestly didn't know the aerosol theory was still in question. I thought there have been multiple studies showing how COVID transmits via aerosols, which is why masking is so important, and not just distancing and hand washing.

I honestly didn't know the aerosol theory was still in question. I thought there have been multiple studies showing how COVID transmits via aerosols, which is why masking is so important, and not just distancing and hand washing.

I think the question is how much it transmits via aerosols vs. droplets. From what I understand, certain conditions may be susceptible for the creation of aerosols (for example indoors with a blowing air conditioner unit and people are shouting/singing) whereas in general mostly droplets are present. Masking is actually extremely efficient vs droplets but would possibly be less so vs aerosols.

For now, belief is that the main mode of transmission is droplets with occasional events that involve aerosols (I would suspect those being super spreader events though). Compare that to something like measles and TB which are extremely infectious because they spread via aerosols mostly.

My kids started hybrid elementary school this week. On Wednesday night the Superintendent sent an email saying the high school was fully remote for the time being because a student had tested positive. He/she had not yet been in the school but had been at a gathering.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the state of Massachusetts:

It's no mystery why, 6 months later, we are in the position that we're in.
The amount of resources being water and the disruption to schedules is the reason why the district I work for and the district my kid goes to started remotely.

It’s a lot of work and stress, but at least there is some consistency.

Boston public schools started today 100% remotely after the first day of school has been pushed back by a couple weeks.

Their plan is to still try hybrid learning and hope to switch over to hybrid learning now on 10/1.

Currently, it's the logistic issues with figuring out bussing that is holding up the in person classes.

Interesting read on how the common cold disappeared under the lockdown. Now it's coming back. Which means COVID-19 will likely follow as well.

On the local news this morning they were talking about getting kids back to school in in person classes.

One thing they noticed when looking at the data were the 16 towns that have been in the green with almost no new cases over the last 2 months are all doing 100% remote learning this fall.

And did this not flyover well with a comity of lawmakers. They said the data shows it is safe to resume in person classes in their communities. They are calling for the school districts to resume in person classes and gave them a deadline to get back to the comity with their plans to resume in person classes.

At least here in the United States we are not jailing people as far as I know who are Criticizing Trump's handling of coronavirus.

Go NFL

Not to mention code orange 🟠

Not "orange" in Gatineau yet... but I expect it by the end of the week. Unfortunately, the acceleration in both our towns feels steeper than the first time around TBH.

Be careful out there... I think there are a lot more cases in the wild here right now than there ever were. Yesterday I did some scratch pad calculations for Gatineau using an RT of 1.1-1.2, which is conservative, and came up with roughly 70-80 cases at home awaiting positive results and another ~300-ish already infected/infectious but that will begin showing symptoms in 1-4 days. And I think I underestimated the testing delay, so it's probably even higher. The numbers would higher in Ottawa but the proportions appear similar.

Back