Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 9 - March 2020 /// X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

The heck is going on in here?

@teefer - didn't we get some sorta clue but not really a clue yesterday? And didn't I say, "that might be a clue but it will mean nothing to me because I'll forget" or something like that? At least I am consistent.
Yes! That's right, @girlnevergoesout said it wasn't widely available on vinyl when she joined, but it was now. If I remember correctly...

I would not know. I am horrible at this game. But I think she meant when the N&G AOTM idea thing started - so at month 0.
Dang, if that's true then Juju is ruled out as it was reissued for the first time since 1984 in mid 2018. I think all the other Siouxsie albums were reissued then as well. Unless, since they are EU releases, they weren't imported well until mid 2019. Hmm, that seems like a stretch.

If it isn't, "I Heard A Rumour" seems like such a big coincidence!

I would not know. I am horrible at this game. But I think she meant when the N&G AOTM idea thing started - so at month 0.
So we're looking for an album that has had a widespread reissue since June 2019 after being OOP for a while? Or alternatively, a newer album (released after June 2019) by a band that has been putting out material for years and are influential but haven't received the recognition they deserve.

I'll guess Raincoats - Odyshape from 1981

The clues that lead me here are "drummer is a dude" - after Palmolive left to form the Slits, a rotating door of male post-punk legends recorded the drum parts on this record. Also, this album was reissued in Nov 2019 after being out of print for a while.

I can connect a lot of the lyrical content to the other clues, but not confidently enough to bother typing it out at this point 😂

I've been meaning to pick up this new reissue either way, so this would be a nice excuse to do so.

So we're looking for an album that has had a widespread reissue since June 2019 after being OOP for a while? Or alternatively, a newer album (released after June 2019) by a band that has been putting out material for years and are influential but haven't received the recognition they deserve.
Still sounds like Chromatics to me!

I'll guess Raincoats - Odyshape from 1981

The clues that lead me here are "drummer is a dude" - after Palmolive left to form the Slits, a rotating door of male post-punk legends recorded the drum parts on this record. Also, this album was reissued in Nov 2019 after being out of print for a while.

I can connect a lot of the lyrical content to the other clues, but not confidently enough to bother typing it out at this point 😂

I've been meaning to pick up this new reissue either way, so this would be a nice excuse to do so.
Looks like the Odyshape reissue from 2011 is still available. The 2019 reissue on discogs says limited to 500, but is still available some places too.

If we're looking at electronic bands and being loose with the term "drummer" it could also be EBTG or Yaz which both had out of print albums reissued last year.
I feel like we're not being loose with the term drummer in the sense that it is going to be a human being, with a penis, hitting (faux?) animal skins with wooden sticks on the recording.

Ok so let's be serious, it's time to guess the right record. First thing: it's not Bloc Party, released in 2004 (hint #7), and probably not The Shorts as there are no recent reissues (really bad, I would join Voldemort if they do an exclusive of this).

In all seriousness, ALL seriousness. I think it's a girl band with a man on drums. @ChristoBee, according to hint #11 you can rule out Debbie Deb, Joni Mitchell, Janet Jackson, Donna Summer, Marilyn Manson, and, sorry @Teeeee, Paula Abdul. This pile of magazines does mean something! It may have been a record released or reissued on Feb 2009, it must be. 1 means it's their first album for sure. Hint #8 took me to the Bangles but no dude on drums, I would have loved to walk like an Egyptian but it won't be this month.

1580847981414.png

Back