Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 9 - March 2020 /// X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

I tried hard to get the Bananarama clue to link to Dave from Eurythmics and the pre-Eurythmics band The Tourists.

ALL of it is OOP.

So, then I was like "hey, Bananarama covered The Shocking Blue!" And I could not for the life of me lock down one guess.

I got nothing.

"I Heard a Rumor" was on the soundtrack to the film The Disorderlies, which also featured the song "Fat Off My Back" by Gwen Guthrie. Gwen Guthrie's hit song "Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But the Rent" was sampled for Foxy Brown's 1998 song "JOB". Foxy Brown was engaged to rapper Kurupt, who was in the 2008 film Vice with Daryl Hannah. Daryl Hannah is now married to Neil Young, who frequently played with and was briefly in a relationship with Joni Mitchell, who also wrote the song "The Circle Game" in response to his song "Sugar Mountain". What would you play a "circle game" with? A controller. A controller used to play a game with a shape associated with it! Joni Mitchell's album Blue is frequently cited as a brilliant album to listen to when you are sad, thus making it "sad bastard music" by anyone's definition and certainly by Jack Black's. Therefore, my guess is Joni Mitchell - Blue.

Hints and guesses updated on first page.

I have not ruled anything out BUT :

- White Blood Cells : doesn't seem to be easily available worldwide on vinyl ?
- Afghan Whigs : doesn't seem to be easily available worldwide on vinyl ?
- Pretty Girls Make Health : doesn't seem to be easily available worldwide on vinyl ?
- Xiu Xiu : doesn't seem to be easily available worldwide on vinyl ?

Hints and guesses updated on first page.

I have not ruled anything out BUT :

- White Blood Cells : doesn't seem to be easily available worldwide on vinyl ?
- Afghan Whigs : doesn't seem to be easily available worldwide on vinyl ?
- Pretty Girls Make Health : doesn't seem to be easily available worldwide on vinyl ?
- Xiu Xiu : doesn't seem to be easily available worldwide on vinyl ?

White Blood Cells has gone out of print? Wow! I had always thought that was one of the more available White Stripes albums...

I must confess I didn’t even consider availability when guessing!

White Blood Cells has gone out of print? Wow! I had always thought that was one of the more available White Stripes albums...

I must confess I didn’t even consider availability when guessing!

Well, for the White Stripes that might need to be confirmed further, but Amazon only seem to have third party sellers, which is sometimes a good indicator that the record is begining to be scarcely available.

Back