Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 44 – February 2023 /// Pavement – Wowee Zowee

The Delines, a country soul outfit that has put out three solid albums (keep an eye out for Colfax in a future interlude).
This was one of the first dozen or so records I bought when I started collecting. Years later, I couldn't remember why I had it or how I had even heard about it in the first place. Looking forward to this writeup.

Beale St/Memphis
Weird Brazilian Lignum/nut things
A couple on a date
Javits Center/NYC
Pueblos
Brinks Armored Truck
Rose City/Portland OR
Possible that there's a connective thread in here about light? I can come up with something light-related for 5/8 clues:
Beale St - neon
Nuts - not sure
Date - candle light
Javits center - not sure, but the lighting is prominently featured in this photo, and there's an architectural/commercial lighting convention called Lightfair hosted there
Taos/Pueblo - no idea
Brinks - also the name of a lighting company
Rose City Vintage Market - no idea
Watt - speaks for itself

Possible that there's a connective thread in here about light? I can come up with something light-related for 5/8 clues:
Beale St - neon
Nuts - not sure
Date - candle light
Javits center - not sure, but the lighting is prominently featured in this photo, and there's an architectural/commercial lighting convention called Lightfair hosted there
Taos/Pueblo - no idea
Brinks - also the name of a lighting company
Rose City Vintage Market - no idea
Watt - speaks for itself

There's an artist from Canada named Lights but I can't make anything non light related work..

This was one of the first dozen or so records I bought when I started collecting. Years later, I couldn't remember why I had it or how I had even heard about it in the first place. Looking forward to this writeup.
Do you enjoy the album? More to come on The Delines, but for now, the interview with Amy and Willy starting at 0:57 sheds light on the band's origin. Some nice live footage too.

Willy Vlautin is also a hell of a writer. I read a couple of his books last year: The Motel Life and The Night Always Comes. They're dark slow-burn reads. But somehow I've never really listened to his music. I'll remedy that now... If his songwriting is anything close to that, I'm in.
His songwriting is in a very similar vein. I look forward to your report.

Do you enjoy the album? More to come on The Delines, but for now, the interview with Amy and Willy starting at 0:57 sheds light on the band's origin. Some nice live footage too.

TBH at the time I didn't have any particular connection to it and ended up selling it, but every now and then I see the name pop up and think to myself that I should go back and revisit to try and rediscover how/why it ended up in my collection so early.

Clue #8

VUKH2XAFCZE43A7EQBL7T5XLE4.JPG
A giant sack?

Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty-Eight confirmed!

Wowee Zowee I picked the wrong Pavement album earlier

“Brinx Job”
“Rattled By The Rush”
“Pueblo”
Pick out some “Brazilian nuts” for your engagement…
Nailed it! Well done. I somehow knew all along you would be the one to guess it. I was afraid the Javits Center would give it away: “Jacob! Jacob Javits, I’d like to thank you for everything, primarily your glass house” (AT&T)

Other clues:

Memphis - Wowee Zowee was recorded at Easley Recording Sudios in Memphis (The Walkmen and many other indie luminaries have also recorded there).

Candleliight dinner - “Dine by candlelight, and hold your savings tight” (Grounded)

Rose City - Malkmus has lived in Portland for nearly 20 years (our kids went to the same school). Also: “I don’t want to split it up 50/50, that’s the way we do it in this rose town.” (AT&T)

Full write up coming soon!

Last edited:
I just spun this yesterday. Boy, I’m daft.
With each clue posted, I was bracing for your quick guess. Was kinda relieved when you threw out Brighten the Corners.

I have a copy of Wowee Zowee for the winner. Let me know if you want another, or we can send it to someone else who digs it and needs a copy?

Last edited:
Nailed it! Well done. I somehow knew all along you would be the one to guess it. I was afraid the Javits Center would give it away: “Jacob! Jacob Javits, I’d like to thank you for everything, primarily your glass house” (AT&T)

Other clues:

Memphis - Wowee Zowee was as recorded at Easley Recording Sudios in Memphis (The Walkmen and many other indie luminaries have also recorded there).

Candleliight dinner - “Dine by candlelight, and hold your savings tight” (Grounded)

Rose City - Malkmus has lived in Portland for nearly 20 years (our kids went to the same school). Also: “I don’t want to split it up 50/50, that’s the way we do it in this rose town.” (AT&T)

Full write up coming soon!
Excellent selection. I already own a copy but maybe I will take the opportunity to pick up something else Pavement related, I still need a copy of Westing (By Musket and Sextant) or maybe I will finally get lucky and find a copy of the 2007 HQ180 pressing of Wowee Zowee that I have been looking for for several years now.

With each clue posted, I was bracing for your quick guess. Was kinda relieved when you threw out Brighten the Corners.

I have a copy of Wowee Zowee for the winner. Let me know if you want ianother, or I can send it to someone else who digs it and needs a copy?
Yeah, Unless it’s the 2007 HQ180 pressing I am good, thank you!

I would be thrilled if you would pass along to someone else that needs a copy.

Yeah, Unless it’s the 2007 HQ180 pressing I am good, thank you!

I would be thrilled if you would pass along to someone else that needs a copy.
I wish it was! (but only if I had two copies).

Why don’t we handle this PIF-style. If you would like a copy of Wowee Zowee on vinyl, reply to this post. If there is more than one response by the end of the weekend, we will turn to the hat.

Great selection! I remember this CD was in heavy rotation when I got to borrow my parents car with the CD player...it was mostly because it was one of the few CDs either me or my friends had, this was before CD burners when CDs were expensive!!!

I also already have this so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on that Destroyer album... looking forward to checking the other selections that missed the cut!

Another fun month that almost lasted a week!!

Back