Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 44 – February 2023 /// Pavement – Wowee Zowee

hatfieldpdx

Pavement - Wowee Zowee

Like many others, I fell hard for Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, Pavement’s jangly and melodic follow up to the exhilarating lo-fi of debut Slanted and Enchanted. After moving out to the Pacific Northwest after college, I had been reveling in the sheer abundance and quality of indie bands on the west coast. As word of Pavement’s third album hit the streets in early 1995, Pavement was right on the cusp of mainstream success. It felt as though the entire music industry was eagerly waiting and watching, fully expecting them to lay claim to the “alternative nation” throne recently vacated with Kurt Cobain’s passing. Needless to say, Wowee Zowee fell short of living up to those lofty expectations.

When the album dropped, nearly everyone hated it. Pavement fans (including yours truly) were mystified. At first listen, it was hard to connect with this weird and disjointed mess of an album, which sounded like a few catchy tracks surrounded by unfinished demos. Critics reacted with confusion and bewilderment: “a great band trying hard to prove they can suck and half succeeding” (Details); “an album best enjoyed at a casual low volume, paying little attention to the effort and details” (Spin). Only Robert Christgau of The Village Voice defended it: “...if their vocation is beguiling song-music that doesn't sound like anything else or create its own rut, this reinforces one's gut feeling that they can do it forever.”

Not surprisingly, Wowee Zowee is the sound of Pavement eschewing mainstream success and forging their own path. In retrospect, it was the most Pavement thing ever. As Rolling Stone observed nearly 20 years later: in 1995, “so many bands were trying to make their own Crooked Rain. But Pavement had already made theirs, and were off trying something different.” Pivoting away from the commercial success of previous singles “Gold Soundz” and “Cut Your Hair” enabled Pavement to rediscover their own identify. In the process, they forged their most iconic and enduring album, one that encapsulates all the elements that made them such a unique and influential band (sorry, it would take a separate essay to go into all those details).

As with all great albums, it takes repeated listens to uncover what makes this one special. Context in regard to the weighty expectations helps, along with how it fits in with the rest of their discography. These days, revisionist history has been very kind to Wowee Zowee. In most circles, it is widely regarded as Pavement’s masterpiece, their White Album if you will. While I love each of their five albums (and various EPs), Wowee Zowee is easily the one I have listened to the most, and the album I typically reach for first.

All of that said…if you’ve never listened to Pavement, this may not be the right place to start. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain may be one to reel you in – it certainly did for me. Their final two albums, Terror Twilight and Brighten the Corners, are more conventional albums with plenty of melodic hooks. All good starting points. And don't miss Slanted and Enchanted. If any of these resonate, it's time to give Wowee Zowee another chance.

----

Happy New Year friends! 2023 has been waiting for us, so let's begin...

Very excited to try my hand at this, and to share one of my all-time favorite albums with you in the process.

Yes, I will be your host and guide for this February AOTM adventure. I will drop a general clue today to get the ball rolling, but given that it is a holiday and my youngest daughter's birthday – and we will be skiing most of the day – note that more specific clues, interludes and all other related shenanigans will begin in earnest tomorrow.

You know the drill, but a few related notes specific to this month:
  • Guesses will roll out haphazardly. There is no other way for this album.
  • Via somewhat regular interludes, I will share 10 other albums that nearly made the cut (sadly, many were not currently available on vinyl).
  • For a variety of reasons, I will aim to announce no later than January 15th (assuming you intrepid sleuths haven't figured it out by then).
  • First correct guess gets a copy on me!
We are going to make 2023 another stellar year for N&G AotMs. Let's go...

Last edited:
Reserved for guesses...

1) Kraftwerk – The Man-Machine @4080
2) Marc Cohn - S/T @Indymisanthrope
3) Bo Diddly - Gunslinger @avecigrec
4) Cedric Burnside - Benton County Relic @Skalap
5) Caroline Polachek - Pang @Hemotep
6) Mystickal - unpredictable @avecigrec
7) Super Blues Join Forces @Skalap
7) The Walkmen - You & Me @Indymisanthrope
8) Clutch - From Beale Street to Oblivian @avecigrec
9) Pavement - Brighten the Corners @TenderLovingKiller®
10) Charley Crockett - Lil G.L.'s Honky Tonk Jubilee @TenderLovingKiller®
11) Big Star - In Space @avecigrec
12) David Allen Coe - Just Divorced @Hemotep
13) Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise @Turbo
14) Moon Duo - Shadow of the Sun @Yer Ol' Uncle D
15) Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty-Eight @TenderLovingKiller®

Last edited:
Reserved for cataloguing could have been interludes, and other shenanigans...

AOTMs That Were Almost Picked

1) Destroyer – Streethawk: A Seduction
2) Quasi - Featuring "Birds"
3) Mali Obomsawin - Sweet Tooth
4) The Walkmen - You & Me
5) Richmond Fontaine - Post to Wire
6) Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
7) The Delines - Colfax
8) Kassi Valazza - Dear Dead Days
9) Silver Jews - American Water
10) Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish I Were an Eagle
11) Margo Cilker - Pohorylle
12) Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret

Last edited:
Clue #1:

9340aadc71fd006c3f9b2823a400e772-memphis.jpg

Interlude #1: What Could Have Been (AOTMs that nearly made the cut)

Destroyer – Streethawk: A Seduction

Seriously, I almost picked this one. Dan Bejar (Destroyer) has maintained his prolific pace with a string of quality albums, but for some reason the recent ones just don't hit the same way for me. Too heavy on the lounge act perhaps? Hard to say. In any case, when I need a fix of early Destroyer, Streethawk: A Seduction is the masterpiece that I turn to. No filler on this one, just a parade of anthems with the right amount of bite. There are shades of 70's Bowie, but in no way is it derivative. Rather, it pairs some of Bejar's best lyrics (which is saying something) with the perfect blend of rock, jazz, lounge, glam, and folk. As with most classics, it just gets better with each listen. If you haven't sampled it yet, why postpone joy?

Last edited:
Back