Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 41 - November 2022 /// The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

The Weakerthans - Live in Berlin 2007 (FULL CONCERT)​

This is in my queue for this week - the setlist is fantastic and features a good number of songs from Reconstruction Site and the quality of the sound and video seem pretty solid based on what I've previewed!

This thread has been updated with further thoughts from me about the album. You can find them on the first page, or by clicking here.

Also, for any of you that might find such things interesting, Bronwyn Malloy put together a literary analysis of "One Great City" as a PhD student at the University of British Columbia a few years ago. Her research was centred on the poetics of subjectivity in contemporary alternative song lyrics.

Nice, I'm gonna read this.

Albums that could have been :: No. 21

The Be Good Tanyas – Blue Horse

This feels particularly fitting to late-post today given that "Rain and Snow" was one of the bigger hits from this album, and is exactly what's going on outside my window as I type this. This album was a big boom in the Canadian folk music revival of the early oughts. Unified by tree-planting and a love of folk, country and bluegrass music these women burst big onto the scene for a few years, putting out three albums and making East Vancouver proud during their run. In addition to "Rain and Snow" this album found a big hit in the song "Light Enough to Travel," penned by fellow East Van musician Geoff Berner (who will pop up again in another of these remaining entries!)

Sorely in need of a repress, vinyl copies of this album are currently selling for $300+ :eek:

If anyone is looking for more The Weakerthans albums to pick-up I really like Live At The Burton Cummings Theatre, great song selection and a great live album.
The only one I am still missing

The Weakerthans - Live in Berlin 2007 (FULL CONCERT)​

This is in my queue for this week - the setlist is fantastic and features a good number of songs from Reconstruction Site and the quality of the sound and video seem pretty solid based on what I've previewed!

I wonder why I missed this show.

Not my picture, but I couldn't for the life of me take a better one...

virtute.jpg
VIVAT VIRTUTE

I'd never looked to see what the etching was on Side D of Winter Wheat until I got my copy last night. A beautiful homage to the finest cat in song, whose triptych tale ends on this album.

And, here are a couple of essays about the Virtute Trilogy, should you be interested:

If you haven´t ordered yet
68598.png

Not my picture, but I couldn't for the life of me take a better one...

View attachment 157829
VIVAT VIRTUTE

I'd never looked to see what the etching was on Side D of Winter Wheat until I got my copy last night. A beautiful homage to the finest cat in song, whose triptych tale ends on this album.

And, here are a couple of essays about the Virtute Trilogy, should you be interested:

Missed this when it was originally posted. Didn't realized Samson concluded this story line, and now I'm sitting in my office fighting back tears.

They released this digitally for free last year. If anyone wants FLAC files, shoot me a PM.

This show is outstanding. I bought the vinyl because I have all the others…. But fuck their shipping. It’s more than priority mail and slow as fuck.

I haven't listened yet, but this is exciting:

Also completely missed that they released a mostly instrumental album back in February too!
also john k samson and christine fellows are on a new song by your heart breaks

Back