Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

2015-2016 UEFA Champions League: Round of 16
2016-2017 UEFA Champions League: Groups Stage
2017-2018 UEFA Champions League: Out
2018-2019 UEFA Champions League: Groups Stage
2019-2020 UEFA Champions League: 2nd Qualifying Round

s-o-m-a-i-r-o-t = Tori Amos, spelled backwards
m-a-l = The initials of Live At Montreaux, spelled backwards too.

I thought it was because of Boys for Pele and Pele was a famous footballer.

You're absolutely right, I meant '90.

I loved Campos and his kits! I used to wear them at least once a week to school to the degree that my classmates started calling me Campos instead of Arnoldo.

More people should have laughed at this. Everyone do yourself a favor and google Jorge Campos. Then imagine someone wearing that to school. His technique was just as flashy as his kits.

Last edited:
Alrighty, stealing from Goatfish and other’s good work and taking probably way too seriously the statement that we could narrow it to 20 albums if we knew where to look (that’s a paraphrase), I’m going with:

Gilberto Gil - Tropicalia: ou Paris et Circensis.

Clues! He played at Montreux Jazz Festival in 1978 (the year area zoned in on by Goatfish) and exactly 20 artists played at the festival that year, the album was released in 1968 (the same year that Evans’ Live at Montreux came out), it’s a genre ( Tropicalia) that we haven’t had yet, @agutierrezb was a fan of the VMP Africa Brasil release, this album is apparently a big deal historically yet most folks probably haven’t heard it, it’s got a crazy high rating in allmusic and spin, and it’s available for less than 30 bucks through amoeba. Oh, and yeah, it’s older than 1982. Oh! And it ain’t instrumental!

Alrighty, stealing from Goatfish and other’s good work and taking probably way too seriously the statement that we could narrow it to 20 albums if we knew where to look (that’s a paraphrase), I’m going with:

Clues! He played at Montreux Jazz Festival in 1978 (the year area zoned in on by Goatfish) and exactly 20 artists played at the festival that year, the album was released in 1968 (the same year that Evans’ Live at Montreux came out), it’s a genre ( Tropicalia) that we haven’t had yet, @agutierrezb was a fan of the VMP Africa Brasil release, this album is apparently a big deal historically yet most folks probably haven’t heard it, it’s got a crazy high rating in allmusic and spin, and it’s available for less than 30 bucks through amoeba. Oh, and yeah, it’s older than 1982. Oh! And it ain’t instrumental!
now where does the UEFA games lead here

Just give me Os Mutantes' "A Divina Comedia ou Ando Meio Desligado" .
Don't how it would fit the clues, nor how easy it is to find outside Brazil but, I've been looking for an excuse to buy it.

still dont see the connection

seeing as the album has nothing to do with the netherlands

(ok if it was about the year.. maybe.. but not if its about the netherlands)

Do we know that it means Holland specifically? We’ve just narrowed it down to being a Dutch team being the answer. I thought we hadn’t figured out yet how that team related to the album, and this figured the clue. It could just as easily be read as an artist on the Philips label given that connection to the club.

I do think it’s highly unlikely to be about 1978, that’s a whole different competition to the one in the clue and it seems a huge stretch to me, particularly as PSV have actually won the competition that is the focus of the question, albeit in a year too late for the ROTM.

So my guess is...

Nina Simone - Pastel Blues

Pre-2010 and she’s a singer
We’ve not had vocal jazz yet
Picture = Montreaux - She’s played there
PSV = Philips - This was released on Philips
Pre the Dutch guy
Pre The Blue Mask

The amazon price hint is pretty nebulous as they use dynamic pricing so I’m disregarding that.

I think @supahypeag is on to something with the Tropicalia guess, and @Joe Mac is on to something with the Philips connection.

So, I will guess a different Tropicalia album - Caetano Veloso's Transa.

Clues:
1972 so older than other N&G picks
New genre
Played at Montreux
Released on Philips records (PSV clue)
The current reissue is on Elemental records, which fluctuate in price depending where you buy from (in the US they're imports - current $27 on Amazon)

Also, this record is mostly in English, so it might be a good entry point to Tropicalia/MPB for the group.

Also, fwiw @agutierrezb made it a point to state Marvin Gaye performed at the 1980 festival when I made my Marvin guess.

So 1977-1978 album release with a 1980 performance at Montreux maybe?
1567605381755.png

With that being said. I will say Jorge Ben Jor - Tropical released in 1977 on PHILLIPS RECORDS

sorry Marvin

EDIT: Also, lines up with the "narrowing it down to ~20 albums" comment he alluded to up in this thread somewhere

Last edited:
Ok, I'll tell you two things to make this easier for you:

1. Don't take the 20 albums thing too literally. I didn't really count, but what I meant is that there aren't many releases pre-1982 that match both the UEFA and the Puzzle clues, which takes me to my second point.

2. Some of you (I'm not saying who) are in the right direction in regards to cracking the clues. The shortlist of albums I mentioned in point #1 can be put together if you dive into discogs/wiki with both clues in hand.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll tell you two things to make this easier for you:

1. Don't take the 20 albums thing too literally. I didn't really count, but what I meant is that there aren't many releases pre-1982 that match both the UEFA and the Puzzle clues, which takes me to my second point.

2. Some of you (I'm not saying who) are in the right direction in regards to cracking the clues. The shortlist of albums I mentioned in point #1 can be if you dive into discogs/wiki with both clues in hand.
So I'm guessing this means the correct album has not yet been.... guessed.

Back