Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 35 - May 2022 /// Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

Speedracer

It's April 1st and about midnight in some parts of the world, but the sun has already softly risen in snowy (!) Amsterdam. A beautiful morning to start the new AotM thread for May 2022. Although I haven't been too active lately on the forum, I'm still very excited to do this. Hope you all enjoy the ride. I've done my best to come up with some tricky hints and have some suprises planned.

A little back story:
My journey collecting started in about 2012, when my best friend and roommate at the time bought me 5 records. The record of the month I picked for this month was amongst those 5, along with:
1. Nat King Cole - After Midnight
2. Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson - Cleanhead's back in town
3. Fela Kuti & Africa 70 - Expensive Shit
4. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

Almost 10 years later and I own over 850 records. If only I had invested all the money in Bitcoin...

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue*
Something about guitar jazz has always fascinated me personally. Whether it be Grant Green, who is perhaps my all time favourite Blue Note artist, or Kenny Burrell, guitar almost always seems to be featured om my most spun jazz albums. And especially so if that jazz guitar had a hint of soul or blues in its sound.
BB King once said, “Jazz is the big brother of the blues. If a guy’s playing blues, he’s in high school. When he starts playing jazz it’s like going on to college.” It wouldn't be stretch to imagine that he might have had Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue in mind.

Kenny Burrell made his major debut with Dizzy Gillespie in 1951 and has gone on to make eighty albums across eight high profile record labels as a leader and very many more within the bands of many jazz giants including Oscar Peterson, John Coltrane, Billie Holiday and Jimmy Smith with whom he recorded the highly popular "Organ Grinder Swing " album in 1965. It is sad to note that recently Kenny, who was living in Westwood California with his wife Katherine Goodrich, who is 37 years younger than him, is enduring hard times both medically and socially and finds himself totally isolated and having to crowd fund for both his accommodation and physical needs. Not so long ago he was working as The Director of Jazz Studies in The Herb Albert School of Music at The University of Southern California.

How different were things on January 8, 1963, when he stepped into Rudy Van Gelder’s studio in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. From the very first track, it’s clear why this album was so popular when it was released and has remained so ever since. It oozes early 1960s sophistication, like the soundtrack to a movie about love gone sour in Manhattan’s Upper West Side. Reid Miles‘ album cover is perfection, summing up the mood of this album with just perfect typography.

It’s been called “as elegant a record as the label ever released,” and it’s impossible to disagree. On tenor saxophone was Stanley Turrentine from Pittsburgh, a powerful player full of blues and soul filled overtones gained from his early R & B days with Earl Bostic. Bass man Major Holley, a prolific studio musician who also spent time with Duke Ellington, Zoot Sims and the like was an ideal foil for the guitarist with his large rounded tone and impeccable sense of time, alongside the percussion team of ex blues drummer Bill English and the Latin styled conga player originally from Puerto Rica, Ray Barretto.
All the tracks, except one are composed by the guitarist and things kick off with the almost exotic Chitlins Con Carne where Barretto's congas set the scene for the first of many understated but highly imaginative outings by the leader throughout the album. Stanley Turrentine provides a blues drenched tenor solo on this one, although he is not offered too many opportunities to shine during the session overall. Mule a tune co-written with Major Holley follows, it has a great feeling of reflective calm about it with intricate guitar lines well responded to by the co-writer's double bass contribution. Just as the title suggests Soul Lament is just that with its deep mood and melancholy theme leaving a lasting impact on the listener despite its brief duration.
Midnight Blue the title track has perhaps the most memorable thematic lines of the whole recording. It is more up- beat than most with the leader stretching out for most of the track, fully demonstrating why he has always commanded such a high profile in the jazz guitar world. Double bass and congas set the scene for the strangely titled Wavy Gravy, a mid-tempo swinger again finding the leader in his most creative form with Stanley Turrentine given enough space for a startling passage in the higher register of his instrument on a tune which is full of joy and humour. It's a guitar masterclass on the only original tune of the set, a standard of the jazz repertoire Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You written by Don Redman and Andy Razaf way back in 1929. There is little else but guitar on this over minimal bass and drums, with a truly masterful performance of the theme and improvisation full of enormous imagination and logic. The LP ends with a deep journey down to the Saturday Night Blues with the tenor saxophonist at last fully in his element with bold and commanding statements, answered in full and supported by bass and guitar before the final fade out.

As I alluded to in my intro to this thread, Midnight Blue was one of the first 5 albums that I owned. Out of the 5 it has far and away had the most spins and a long the way I have also upgraded my copy from a mediocre Blue Note 75 pressing to a Music Matters SRX(which I'm enjoying while typing this). Sadly any Music Matters or OG pressing is probably out of reach financially for most. Luckily, Blue Note has the excellent Classics series going, which this album is a part of. You can find your copy here (although your local record store probably has it too and you should support them!):

US
Amazon product ASIN B096TTLLR2
Europe (I'm gonna plug some dutch stores here)
Amazon product ASIN B096TTLLR2
UK

*Write up has been adapted from several sources on the internet. Don't sue me.

Last edited:
Hints

Hint #1

Although no animals were harmed during the production of this album, 3 did play their part.
Answer: Produced by Alfred Lion & Francis Wolff. One of the song is Mule. Didn't count either Chitlins or Carne as an animal, but certainly could have.

Hint #2 Leonard (Lion) Feather (feather quill) wrote the liner notes.
Hint #3 I was drunk here, but still capable of counting to 4
Hint #4 Dollar Bill + English flag = Bill English, drummer on this album and his only appearance on a Blue Note album
Hint #5 People seemed to keep calling it a dollar note instead of a dollar Bill
Hint #6 A Band Member's name was Bill
Hint #7 No explanation needed I think. It's a Jazz album
Hint #8: Midnight Blue was record in Rudy Van Gelder's famous New Jersey Studio Englewood Cliffs. As NewsFedora noticed and I didn't 😅, there was a bonus clue linking Saturday Night Live to the album's closer 'Saturday Night Blues'

Bonus hint in my first sentence of this thread nobody noticed:
It's April 1st and about midnight (Midnight Blue) in some parts of the world, but the sun has already softly risen in snowy (!) Amsterdam.

Last edited:
(Wrong) Guesses
avecigrec
: Bob Marley & the Wailers - Exodus
shinyteeth: The Beatles - The White Album
CrazyDiamond84: Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavillion
Fleetwood-Matt: Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill
4080: We Are Scientists ‎– With Love And Squalor
cul8er: DONALD BYRD - BYRD IN FLIGHT
NewsFedora: Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces
Fleetwood-Matt: Johnny Griffen - “Introducing Johnny Griffen
avecigrec: Dollar Brand Trio ‎– Anatomy Of A South African Village
Byersvinyl: Roy Harper - Stormcock.
Lee Newman: Toto - Hydra
Byersvinyl: Wham - Make it Big
Fleetwood-Matt: Herbie Hancock - "Inventions and Dimensions
Joe Mac: Kool & The Gang - Wild and Peaceful
Byersvinyl: Andrew Hill Judgement

Last edited:
Bonus Album #1

Magic Sam- Black Magic

This is one of favourite blues albums off all time. Incredible Blues with a little bit of Wilson Pickett and James Brown mixed in. Hope you all enjoy!

Backstory (taken from the internet, translated from Dutch)
'Black Magic', an album that Samuel “Magic Sam” Gene Maghett recorded for Delmark Records in late 1968 and released just a short time before his untimely death on December 1, 1969. Sam was born on February 14, 1937 in Grenada, Mississippi and grew up with Morris Holt, who would later be known as Magic Slim. In 1950, his aunt Lily asks him to come to Chicago. Here he meets Jimmy “Fast Fingers” Dawkins, Mighty Joe Young and Sylvester Thompson, the R&B singer better known as Syl Johnson. Together with Syl, he starts playing in the blues clubs. Not much later, the pair catch the attention of Sam's uncle, "Shakey Jake" Harris, who is an established name in Chicago and encourages and helps them to move forward. He makes his first recordings for Cobra Records, and with 'All Your Love' he gets reasonable name recognition. The Cobra label also includes 'Easy Baby'. The 1963 single "Feelin' Good (We're Gonna Boogie)" is very well received. Magic Sam, together with Otis Rush and Luther Allison, is the founder of the Chicago's West Side sound, but the use of his tremolo on the guitar and many minor chords, which produces a very unique sound, set him apart from the rest. In 1967 Sam signs a contract with Delmark Records and re-records a number of previously mentioned songs for this label. This eventually leads to a number of blues essentials that belong in every collection. One of these is 'Black Magic'.

If it is Jazz, then it could be a Blue Note record.

Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff operated Blue Note until 1966. That could be two of the animals.

profile taken from discogs:

View attachment 134615

This is a solid direction!

I was leaning toward Black Lion Records myself, but didn't find anything that immediately seemed to fit during my quick scan of their catalogue before I had to leave for work.

This is a solid direction!

I was leaning toward Black Lion Records myself, but didn't find anything that immediately seemed to fit during my quick scan of their catalogue before I had to leave for work.

If so, then Donald Byrd might be the third animal. So I'll toss out a guess...

DONALD BYRD - BYRD IN FLIGHT

Unfortunately, the tone poets series seem to be sold out and the secondary market has some for bit too high price, so I'm kinda hoping this isn't it (even though it would be an outstanding pick, regardless)

Last edited:
If so, then Donald Byrd might be the third animal. So I'll toss out a guess...

DONALD BYRD - BYRD IN FLIGHT

Unfortunately, the tone poets series seem to be sold out and the secondary market has some for bit too high price, so I'm kinda hoping this isn't it (even though it would be an outstanding pick, regardless)

Ah but you know what is readily available right now?

Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces

Edit: although Francis Wolff was gone from Blue Note by then so idk…

Last edited:
Back