Needles & Grooves AotM///Vol. 33 March 2022///Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness

My favorite artist of the 2010s. Stellar pick!

Seeing her in '19 (first concert of that year) was one of the most mesmerizing experiences of my life. Her ability to create a massive sonic atmosphere from a small stage with a crew of only five musicians was so enrapturing and she made what was a ~90min set feel at least double that. One of the most meaningful and crucial artists to my tastes; uniting worlds of ambient/art pop, avantgarde, classical, jazz, spoken word, and minimalism practically seamlessly.

She's also the first musician in which I've ever brought merch from home to get signed at the venue.

16441739868018686571851011138299.jpg

EDIT: sloppy grammar

Last edited:
My favorite artist of the 2010s. Stellar pick!

Seeing her in '19 (first concert of that year) was the most mesmerizing experiences of my life. Her ability to create a massive sonic atmosphere from a small stage with a crew of only five musicians was so enrapturing and she made what was a ~90min set feel at least double that. One of the most meaningful and crucial artists to my tastes; uniting worlds of ambient/art pop, avantgarde, classical, jazz, spoken word, and minimalism practically seamlessly.

She's also the first musician in which I've ever brought merch from home to get signed at the venue.

View attachment 127875

EDIT: sloppy grammar
It's been almost 4 years since Aviary, hoping she has something planned for us soon!

i feel bad about this.. i've tried to get into Julia's work, including this album.. but for some reason i just never clicked... i dunno if its the specific vocal pattern she does or wishing it was something else but it just hasn't clicked and its kinda sad

i feel bad about this.. i've tried to get into Julia's work, including this album.. but for some reason i just never clicked... i dunno if its the specific vocal pattern she does or wishing it was something else but it just hasn't clicked and its kinda sad
You like what ya like and don't what don't Dukey!

I have never been able to get into Julia. Tried her debut and Aviary and some other scattered songs.

Except for this one. Have You In My Wilderness is a masterpiece. Amazing pick. Seeing it live in glorified bar in Boston was truly special.
was this with circuit des yeux at great scott? happened to be in providence visiting a friend and decided to make the drive up to catch this incredible show, so glad i did. great record, though "loud city song" has the edge for me...

was this with circuit des yeux at great scott? happened to be in providence visiting a friend and decided to make the drive up to catch this incredible show, so glad i did. great record, though "loud city song" has the edge for me...

It sure was. A coworker and I went to see it was we both loved the album. I kind of miss Great Scott, big pain to get to but had a good vibe for live music

Back