Needles & Grooves AotM///Vol. 30 December 2021///The Bright Light Social Hour - Space is Still the Place

Tj.

N&G December AOTM: The Bright Light Social Hour - Space is Still the Place

My reason for picking this is simply because it makes me happy every time I listen to it, so I want to give others a chance at that experience. I love so much about the album, from the echoing harmonies and the fuzzed out guitar licks, to the jam sessions, as well as the dancy tracks, and just the overall spacey vibe. This album has it all and blends it together perfectly. But it never got the recognition I felt it deserved so I'm excited to present it as AOTM.

I also think the packaging is fantastic, as it comes with 5 full sized, double sided art prints with song lyrics that really enhance the experience. However, the only place I could find it was Bandcamp, but they do seem to be stocked, and prices for international shipping didn't look bad so I hope everyone can get a copy.

Here are a couple samples:

And a (much better) short review from All Music

• Texas is a place where folks do things their own way, which may be why so many artists in the Lone Star State love psychedelia but play it with a distinct twist, as anyone who has spent much time listening to the 13th Floor Elevators, the Red Krayola, or Cold Sun can tell you. Austin's Bright Light Social Hour are doing their part to keep the grand tradition of Texas Trippiness alive, and their second album, 2015's Space Is Still the Place, is an ambitious and wildly entertaining journey into the minds of the men who created it. While the echoey stirrings of the more languid songs reveals a lovely, lysergic sparkle that rises and falls over the whole of this album, Bright Lights Social Hour draw from an impressive range of influences, rhythm & blues, and off-center pop music, and even though these ten songs explore the nooks and crannies of the musical space around them, this is thankfully short on jam-band-style meandering. Bassist Jack O’Brien and drummer Joseph Mirasole keep this music tightly on track throughout, with rhythms that are rock hard or coolly grooving depending on the number (and sometimes adding a subtle electronic assist), and guitarist Curtis Roush punctuates the songs with clever solos and instrumental textures that add to the mood of the songs without calling undue attention to themselves; Edward Braillif's keyboards gracefully shift gears from the cool post-disco feel of "The Moon" to the '70s-rock stylings of "Aperture." While the members of Bright Lights Social Hour have said they intended Space Is Still the Place to make a statement about the need for new thinking at a time when economic and social woes are sapping the spirit of younger Americans, most of the lyrics don't stand out much on the first few listens, as they're mixed into the middle distance and layered with echo and reverb effects. But the band's intent to take the listener somewhere else succeeds admirably, and Space Is Still the Place is a smart, fearless work from a band whose inner journey is paying impressive musical dividends.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that we’re going to be in for some rap/hip hop this month!
Man I really wanted to pick some hip hop but finding something not obvious, and also readily available for a decent price, is a very difficult task. So I went with something else for this. But I promise that even though I mostly stick to the hh thread here, I enjoy almost every genre of music. So hopefully I can show some range with this one!

Man I really wanted to pick some hip hop but finding something not obvious, and also readily available for a decent price, is a very difficult task. So I went with something else for this. But I promise that even though I mostly stick to the hh thread here, I enjoy almost every genre of music. So hopefully I can show some range with this one!
Though if you could have a dream ROTM that was rap based

What would you gave chosen.. not asking for a hint just if it was a rap album what would it be

Also felt similar difficulty picking me ROTM because "I'm the hyperpop and emo gal I should do something in the genres" but something just propelled me towards hecker

Though if you could have a dream ROTM that was rap based

What would you gave chosen.. not asking for a hint just if it was a rap album what would it be

Also felt similar difficulty picking me ROTM because "I'm the hyperpop and emo gal I should do something in the genres" but something just propelled me towards hecker
That is pretty tough, selfishly I would probably do E.1999 with the original cover, because I just really need that in my collection. But if I really tried to choose something for everyone, I would probably go with Brother Ali - Shadows on the Sun, I couldn't find enough readily available vinyl otherwise that might have been my pick. I think it is an underrated classic that has a broad appeal which would have worked really well for this.

Back