Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Would Sun O))) count as metal?

I'll provide some clarification on the first hint since metalheads and non metalheads have a VASTLY different definition on what is/isn't metal.

Clarification is: Metal/Metal ADJACENT. The choice could be from either of the two, so don't be worried about it being Encyclopedia approved. (yet) (maybe)

Would Sun O))) count as metal?
This is a good guess that fits the clues really well, though @Goatfish said the album had potential crossover appeal, which I took to mean it was on the more accessible side of metal / metal-adjacent which Sunn O))) are certainly not imo. Though my interpretation could just be flat out wrong in which case ignore me completely lol

This is a good guess that fits the clues really well, though @Goatfish said the album had potential crossover appeal, which I took to mean it was on the more accessible side of metal / metal-adjacent which Sunn O))) are certainly not imo. Though my interpretation could just be flat out wrong in which case ignore me completely lol

To be fair, just because I think it might have some crossover appeal doesn’t mean I’m not a big dummy so take that for what it’s worth. Part of the reason I don’t consider that a hint. Just a nugget.

Their debut is really good too, but Toxicity fits better with the "critical acclaim" clue. No other SOAD album really got the praise it did and still does.

I though their debut did? I’m sure I remember it being in the album of the year debates for that kind of music in 1998? Toxicity certainly had more crossover appeal and it did cross over to an extent but, as much as I liked it, I felt it did lose a bit of its edge in doing so...

I though their debut did? I’m sure I remember it being in the album of the year debates for that kind of music in 1998? Toxicity certainly had more crossover appeal and it did cross over to an extent but, as much as I liked it, I felt it did lose a bit of its edge in doing so...
I'm looking at it not only at the time they came out, but retrospectively as well as @Goatfish stated. And I feel like Toxicity has a much stronger critical reputation than the debut these days.

Back