Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 18 - December 2020 /// Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Michael Brook – Mustt Mustt

Ketchup on a hot dog is a fucking abomination.
iu

Unfortunately, I can top that. This is the menu from a Swedish pizza place I was in a couple of years ago. It's v representative of Swedish pizza. Number 46 is, deep breath:

Chicken, Prawns, Pineapple, Banana, Peanuts, Curry, Kebab Sauce

52 is almost as bad: Chicken, Iceberg Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Onion, Nacho Chips, Kebab Sauce

20201023_075122.jpg

And when they say sauce they absolutely drench it in that shit. Quite often its bearnaise sauce (for reasons I've never deciphered). This is the kebab pizza, which was the one I tried in the name of research. It was not good...

20201023_075533.jpg

Unfortunately, I can top that. This is the menu from a Swedish pizza place I was in a couple of years ago. It's v representative of Swedish pizza. Number 46 is, deep breath:

Chicken, Prawns, Pineapple, Banana, Peanuts, Curry, Kebab Sauce

52 is almost as bad: Chicken, Iceberg Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Onion, Nacho Chips, Kebab Sauce

View attachment 71457

And when they say sauce they absolutely drench it in that shit. Quite often its bearnaise sauce (for reasons I've never deciphered). This is the kebab pizza, which was the one I tried in the name of research. It was not good...

View attachment 71458

I suspect there are Chinese, Indian, Tex-Mex and Turkish restaurants in the same street as this pizza place. They buy all the leftovers from the others restaurants and make the pizzas with it. I can't see any other reasons to mix such different ingredients.

People like to put ketchup on pizza here...
I just want to slap their hands when I see them reaching for the packets.

My favorite pizzas are: margherita, ham/eggs/onions/olives (which we call Portuguese) and mozzarella/anchovies (called Napolitano).
Anyone who likes anchovies on pizza is EXACTLY my kind of people!
Pineapple is fine on pizza.

Ketchup on a hot dog is a fucking abomination.
What about on a "cheeseburger" pizza?
Super italian by heritage here, but I tried one of those a few years ago and it was... Decidely not "pizza," but... Well... Some weird open-faced flatbread? Either way I loved it, ketchup and pickles and all.

up to this point and after living outside of Italy for more than 20 years, I have learned few things about pizza:

-do NOT eat Scandinavian pizza, nor even look at a menu from a distance
-anchovies are good and will never betray you
-ketchup should never exist in the vicinity of pizza
-the real mozzarella is stringy.... if not, it's fake and must be avoided
-enter Italian restaurants outside of Italy with suspicion but prepare to be surprised
-pineapple and corn are how Satan try to enter people's bodies through their eating pizza
-accept that pizza means different things to different people, hence do not get upset when talking pizza with non-italians
-pizza conversations are a minefield of opinion almost as much as the more famous hot dog/sandwich take
-enjoy pizza worldwide and ignore the pizza talebans (like me)

I'll return towards the end of this week with an intro to the AOTM guess thread and some hints.

you keep your hot takes flowing in here!

okay, second question.

month runner's opinion on a NY slice? and have you ever had Detroit-style?
does the December artist like pizza
I'll start with the second question, as pizza takes priority over anything.
(my inner Joey is slowly coming out)

NY slice correspond to a thin base pizza, without too many overwhelming toppings, which reminds me of a "romana" style pizza.
yes, it is approved!
Detroit pizza reminds me of what we call "bakery" pizza. Cooked in a tin, more doughy and cut in squares. In Italy this is the standard lunch time for school kids.
yes, it is approved (but I had never tried the Detroit one.... I'm just making comparisons....

and second question... and here we fall into the hints territory.
I do not believe the December artist(s) like(d) pizza. I'm not event sure she/he/them ever tried it.

I'll start with the second question, as pizza takes priority over anything.
(my inner Joey is slowly coming out)

NY slice correspond to a thin base pizza, without too many overwhelming toppings, which reminds me of a "romana" style pizza.
yes, it is approved!
Detroit pizza reminds me of what we call "bakery" pizza. Cooked in a tin, more doughy and cut in squares. In Italy this is the standard lunch time for school kids.
yes, it is approved (but I had never tried the Detroit one.... I'm just making comparisons....

and second question... and here we fall into the hints territory.
I do not believe the December artist(s) like(d) pizza. I'm not event sure she/he/them ever tried it.

Googling "vegetarian+artists+pineapple"

Back