Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 10- April 2020 —Patrick Sweany-Every Hour is a Dollar Gone

That's from the movie Mom and Dad. In case that's relevant.
Apparently, in the movie, there's some kind of static on the TV, and because of it every parent is attempting to murder their children? It's honestly really fucking hilarious because Nic Cage is the king of over the top and fits right in with the over the top violence. Also his elderly parents also come in to the picture later and then attempt to murder him, and it is REALLY funny.

“Mom and Dad” starring national treasure Nicolas Cage came out in 2017, in case that plays into the “discovered this album a few years ago on Pandora” angle of the first post. But also, probably not.

For my guess, based purely off some clues and with no knowledge of Crabbers’ musical taste...”What Comes After The Blues” by Magnolia Electric Co., otherwise known as Jason Molina from “Songs: Ohia” fame. It’s got “blues” in the title, it’s about 36 minutes long (stopwatch clue), and it relates to the great state of “Ohia” pretty directly. I’m gonna just assume Nicolas Cage is a fan of this album, cause I’ve got nothing for that clue.

“Mom and Dad” starring national treasure Nicolas Cage came out in 2017, in case that plays into the “discovered this album a few years ago on Pandora” angle of the first post. But also, probably not.

For my guess, based purely off some clues and with no knowledge of Crabbers’ musical taste...”What Comes After The Blues” by Magnolia Electric Co., otherwise known as Jason Molina from “Songs: Ohia” fame. It’s got “blues” in the title, it’s about 36 minutes long (stopwatch clue), and it relates to the great state of “Ohia” pretty directly. I’m gonna just assume Nicolas Cage is a fan of this album, cause I’ve got nothing for that clue.
I would be very much into a Jason Molina AOTM, especially for one I don't already own. I'm not sure what Crabbers feelings (if any) on him are tho

ooh, if it's on Colemine, i hope its Ghost Funk Orchestra!

Also if it was only one shade of blue I would say it's a reference to the Derek jarman film blue which was just a film that showed a single shade of blue

But this is multiple shades
I saw that film at a festival back in college. All I recall is I didn't understand it.

So either hawthrone heights, sun kill moon , or the black keys, or the devil wears Prada ...hmmm
Actually a part of this is.....
View attachment 34793

I would really dig Sun Kil Moon, but I doubt it because:

1. Their albums are almost ALL OOP and difficult to find at reasonable prices
2. People I've talked to who haven't followed his music for the last 25+ years seem a little goosey about Sun Kil Moon or Red House Painters or ANYTHING involved with Mark Kozelek due to his "recent" (in the last 5-7 years) asshattery.

I would really dig Sun Kil Moon, but I doubt it because:

1. Their albums are almost ALL OOP and difficult to find at reasonable prices
2. People I've talked to who haven't followed his music for the last 25+ years seem a little goosey about Sun Kil Moon or Red House Painters or ANYTHING involved with Mark Kozelek due to his "recent" (in the last 5-7 years) asshattery.

I really wouldn’t because:

1. Everytime I’ve listened to Sun Kill Moon, and in particular the lauded Benji, I’ve been left scratching my head wondering what people are considering to be good about this universally lauded album; and
2. His public person and actions go beyond “asshattery”. The way he treated Laura Snapes of The Guardian, in particular, sits firmly in the category of sinister.

1. Everytime I’ve listened to Sun Kill Moon, and in particular the lauded Benji, I’ve been left scratching my head wondering what people are considering to be good about this universally lauded album; and

Can't help but agree, I have a hard time with Sun Kil Moon past 2008.

2. His public person and actions go beyond “asshattery”. The way he treated Laura Snapes of The Guardian, in particular, sits firmly in the category of sinister.

I had actually forgotten about this incident, was referring to the War On Drugs incident.
It's sad to see a once great musician and candid person turn into this.
Probably a conversation for the "Your favorite is a problem" thread.

I'm going to guess Marcus King's new LP "El Dorado" (it's fantastic - must listen even if this is not the pick).

I can't fit some of the clues but several do line-up.

- perfect album for chilling and sipping on bourbon - check - there's even a song called "wildflowers & wine" and another called "too much whiskey"
-new genre for N&G AOTM - check - blues & blue-eyed soul
-blue! - check - refers to "blues" and "blue-eyed soul" genres
-more shades of blue - check - "blues"
-green! - not sure about this one
-orange to pink gradient - not sure about this either
-60 minutes (cbs sunday night news show) intro - don't know
-blue colmine hoodie with the state outline of ohio - check - link to ohio is it was produced by Dan Auerbach (at Easy Eye Sound)
-not The Black Pumas - check

1583151178778.png

Back