Holger Czukay - 10
Sting (god it still hurts to even write his name) - 10
Peter Hook - 10

PLUS

Mike Watt - 10
John Entwistle - 10
Bruce Foxton - 10

@avecigrec

Man there are so many missing. I might change,…

Ron Carter
Geddy Lee
Les Claypool
Edgar Meyer
Victor Wooten
James Jameson
Donald “Duck” Dunn
Carol Kaye
Kim Deal
Mike Watt

10 pts each

@avecigrec

Paul McCartney 20
Fat Mike 10
Victor Wooten 10
Bootsy Collins 10
FLEA 10
Les Claypool 10
John Paul Jones 5
Larry Graham 5
Geddy Lee 5
Eric Wilson 5 (Sublime)
James Jamerson 5
Matt Freeman 5

Probably a million more but I just can’t spend hours wormholing this right now! This is at the core of my favorites, though.

I’d comfortably say McCartney is the best bass player of all time and I’ve debated this endless times. He can’t physically do what Wooten can, but Wooten can’t write lines like Paul. I’ll take melodic creativity that fits the music like a glove over virtuosic skill.

Last edited:
A stream of consciousness list based solely on if I dig their style and their music...

John Entwhistle (Who?) 15
Matt Freeman (Rancid) 15
Fernando Saunders (Lou Reed) 15
Mark Sandman (Morphine) 15
Jaco Pastorius (Weather Report and others) 5
James Jamerson (everyone Motown) 5
John Paul Jones (LZ) 5
Carol Kaye (everybody) 5
Ron Carter (also everybody) 5
Paul Simonon (The Clash) 4
Mike Watt (Minutemen) 4
Bootsy Collins (JB & PFunk) 4
Jack Bruce (Cream) 3

PS - these lists are all a heinous exercise.

I'll probably come up with more tomorrow but this is my instinctive list

Paul McCartney 20
Mike Mills (REM) 10
Charles Mingus 10
James Jamerson 10
Dan Berglund (EST) 10
John Paul Jones 10
Bootsy Collins 10
Ron Carter 10
Robert Sledge (Ben Folds Five) 10

Les Claypool (Primus, etc.) - 20 - Unique, percussive playing style, over multiple instruments from 4-string basses to 6-string fretless, to upright. Can sing and play these rhythms at the same time, just boggles my mind. Capable of improvisation and deep jams with other musicians. Some of his basslines literally get stuck in my head for days, like Duchess and the Proverbial Mind Spread. Probably my favorite musician, so I am biased.

Justin Chancellor (Tool) - 20 - writes some amazing rhythms. Paired with Danny Carey, one hell of a foundation.

Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead) - 20 - innovator on the bass. Playing lead instead of strictly rhythm, and all that improvisation that made the Dead who they are.

Mike Gordon (Phish) - 20 - proficient in so many styles. An exceptional improvisational player. Phish will take you on a goddamn musical journey.

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) - 20 - not the most technically proficient bass player, but much of his songwriting is still relevant today. Plus, there is some great bass playing on Animals, Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall. I'll never tire of the groove in Echoes. Granted some of these lines may have been written by Gilmour.

Last edited:
Les Claypool (Primus, etc.) - 50 - Unique, percussive playing style, over multiple instruments from 4-string basses to 6-string fretless, to upright. Can sing and play these rhythms at the same time, just boggles my mind. Capable of improvisation and deep jams with other musicians. Some of his basslines literally get stuck in my head for days, like Duchess and the Proverbial Mind Spread. Probably my favorite musician, so I am biased.

Justin Chancellor (Tool) - 10 - writes some amazing rhythms. Paired with Danny Carey, one hell of a foundation.

Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead) - 15 - innovator on the bass. Playing lead instead of strictly rhythm, and all that improvisation that made the Dead who they are.

Mike Gordon (Phish) - 15 - proficient in so many styles. An exceptional improvisational player. Phish will take you on a goddamn musical journey.

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) - 10 - not the most technically proficient bass player, but much of his songwriting is still relevant today. Plus, there is some great bass playing on Animals, Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall. I'll never tire of the groove in Echoes. Granted some of these lines may have been written by Gilmour.

Maximum point allocation is 20...

Here be mine:

15 - Les Claypool
10 - Justin Chancellor
10 - Tony Levin
9 - Geddy Lee
9 - James Jamerson
9 - Mark Sandman
9 - Ronnie Boykins
9 - David Hood
4 - Paul Chambers
4 - Shavo Odadjian