N&G Favourite BASSIST of All Time

RESULTS!
The nerds of Needles & Grooves have spoken...

TOP 19 FAVOURITE BASSISTS

01. Paul McCartney {85 pts}
02. Les Claypool {76 pts}
03. James Jamerson {59 pts}
03. Geddy Lee {59 pts}
05. Charles Mingus {50 pts}
06. Mike Watt {49 pts}
07. Bootsy Collins {46 pts}
08. Jaco Pastorious {45 pts}
09. John Paul Jones {40 pts}
09. John Entwhistle {40 pts}
09. Tony Levin {40 pts}

12. Ron Carter {34 pts}
13. Phil Lesh {30 pts}
13. Justin Chancellor {30 pts}
15. Donald 'Duck' Dunn {25 pts}
16. Mark Sandman {24 pts}
17. Carol Kaye {22 pts}
18. Victor Wooten {21 pts}
18. Mike Gordon {21 pts}

...and a 13-way tie for 20th with 20 points!

Hope not too late (well guess too late)

15 - Ron Carter
15 - Paul Chambers
10 - Paul McCartney
10 - Eddie Gomez
10 - Bob Cranshaw
10 - Sam Jones
10 - Leroy Vinnegar
5. - Charles Mingus
5 - Scott LaFaro
5 - Ray Brown
5 - Stanley Clarke

Hope not too late (well guess too late)

15 - Ron Carter
15 - Paul Chambers
10 - Paul McCartney
10 - Eddie Gomez
10 - Bob Cranshaw
10 - Sam Jones
10 - Leroy Vinnegar
5. - Charles Mingus
5 - Scott LaFaro
5 - Ray Brown
5 - Stanley Clarke

This would've pushed Ron Carter up to a tie for 6th with Mike Watt and brought Paul Chambers up into a tie for 16th with Mark Sandman...

Not a bad list. I say this with all due respect and as a huge Beatles fan and someone who contemplated Macca on his own list… there is no way in hell that McCartney should be that high.

I dunno I’m much more shocked at number 2 who has never appeared on anything even remotely approaching a song in his career.

I’d happily toss the whole collection if it mean I never had to listen to Primus.

I'm absolutely fine with you not liking Primus, but slagging Les just for only that reason —especially when you have at least 5 albums that feature him on bass— I clearly take umbrage to!

Also, I'm happy to listen all the Primus for you ;)

I'm absolutely fine with you not liking Primus, but slagging Les just for only that reason —especially when you have at least 5 albums that feature him on bass— I clearly take umbrage to!

5 albums where he’s a session musician on 3 or less tracks!

Next you’ll be pinning Clapton love on me because the white album’s in my top 5 albums!

I dunno I’m much more shocked at number 2 who has never appeared on anything even remotely approaching a song in his career.

The most well earned ban in my career. I’ll take talent setving a song over pointless virtuosity every day of the week.

I’d happily toss the whole collection if it mean I never had to listen to Primus.

5 albums where he’s a session musician on 3 or less tracks!

Next you’ll be pinning Clapton love on me because the white albums in my top 5 albums!

Never pinned a love if Claypool on you was merely pointing out he's clearly played on "songs" despite your hatred of Primus.

Not would I EVER pin Clapton love on you or anybody else for ANY reason - he's an absolute **** and can just fuck right off!

Back