N&G AotM /// Year 1 Review!

I enjoyed doing @Goatfish ’s assistant that month and was pleased with the end result. All the thread’s have been enjoyable, though I haven’t contributed as much posts to some as I checked later and so many guesses and info were already up, and I guess it is the threads that I have enjoyed even more than the music, finding a little about the character of the picker. I really advise anyone who doesn’t have their name down to do so.

That means you @BazookaTooth , @Sanders and @NathanRicaud

Last edited:
I enjoyed doing @Goatfish ’s assistant that month and was pleased with the end result. All the thread’s have been enjoyable, though I haven’t contributed as much posts to some as I checked later and so many guesses and info were already up, and I guess it is the threads that I have enjoyed even more than the music, finding a little about the character of the picker. I really advise anyone who doesn’t have their name down to do so.

That means you @BazookaTooth and @NathanRicaud

No pressure or anything but

A937F0DF-FBB4-4D8F-BB26-46C3C339DC19.gif

What a year!

I got to share one of my favourite sets of artists from this little country with the the whole wide world and I got so so many great albums in return.

I’ve listened to, and own, 10 so far. I have copies of vols. 10 & 12 on the way. Only vol. 11 to order, which I will do in due course!

Id like to give an extra special shout out to 3 that I particularly enjoyed. In order of their month.

Vol. 3 - I really loved this one @Teeeee, Nicole is awesome and the single lock discount we got let me buy so many other newly discovered artists!

Vol. 5 - poor @ThePakoBuelna rumbled almost before he started by, of all people, Mr Observant himself @Jonathan Y 😂. Fortunately this was a great album full of really high quality classic rock n roll songwriting.

Vol. 9 - I really enjoyed @girlnevergoesout month and particularly the pick. This has been my most spun of the picks. It’s an album I’d should have heard that I hadn’t and I’m delighted that I was introduced to it and now have it!

To everyone else you’re all equally awesome and every pick deserves massive love!

Last edited:
What a year!

I got to share one of my favourite sets of artists from this little country with the the whole wide world and I got so so many great albums in return.

I’ve listened to, and own, 10 so far. I have copies of vols. 10 & 12 on the way. Only vol. 11 to order, which I will do in due course!

Id like to give an extra special shout out to 3 that I particularly enjoyed. In order of their month.

Vol. 3 - I really loved this one @Teeeee, Nicole is awesome and the single lock discount we got let me buy so many other newly discovered artists!

Vol. 5 - poor @ThePakoBuelna rumbled almost before he started by, of all people, Mr Observant himself @Jonathan Y 😂. Fortunately this was a great album full of really high quality classic rock n roll songwriting.

Vol. 9 - I really enjoyed @girlnevergoesout month and particularly the pick. This has been my most spun of the picks. It’s an album I’d should have heard that I hadn’t and I’m delighted that I was introduced to it and now have it!

To everyone else you’re all equally awesome and every pick deserves massive love!

Thank you Joe! That means a lot to me ❤️❤️❤️

It has been a highlight of the year for me to share that album with the forum.

Where’s the fist shaking reaction when you need it?

Any one of these would do.

n5QVry.gif

tumblr_nksvxu4YIm1qbysf3o2_500.gif

WnjrV19.gif

Hey all!

I’d like to thank each and everyone involved in this! The mods, organizers, and of course, our ROTM pickers!

Here are my top 3:

#1: Camaron De La Isla (@agutierrezb )

#2 & 3 (in no order): Clarence Clarity & Ibeyi (@gaporter and @ChristoBee )

I listened to everyone’s picks enjoyed all of them for different reasons. Some really interesting stuff, and a lot of it I wouldn’t have discovered on my own!

Thanks again, everyone. Can’t wait to see what the next year has in store!

Last edited:
Hey all!

I’d like to thank each and everyone involved in this! The mods, organizers, and of course, our ROTM pickers!

Here are my top 3:

#1: Camaron De La Isla (@agutierrezb )

#2 & 3 (in no order): Clarence Clarity & Ibeyi (@gaporter and @ChristoBee )

I listened to everyone’s picks enjoyed all of them for different reasons. Some really interesting stuff, and a lot of it I wouldn’t have discovered on my own!

Thanks again, everyone. Can’t wait to see what the next year has in store!
I'm super stoked you enjoyed my pick! Let me know if you can get your hands on a copy.

Hey everyone! Can you believe it! The Forum is 1 year old and we have a full year of 13 (I know, I know) N&G AoTMs!

So before we start just a few little ground rules. Please be sensitive, the people who picked these put a lot of time, effort and thought into their picks so a couple of things to stop people feeling put out:

1. Please try not to do full year lists. I don't think anyone will object to a top 3 of yours or anything like that, but nothing past that please, it'd be soul destroying to see your album in the bottom 2 or 3.
2. Not everyone likes everything, and nor should they. However, please try to keep criticism measured and constructive, don't shit on the thing that someone has put forward.

As a reminder here are the first years AotM's and pickers with links to the threads:

Vol. 0 - June 2019 /// Mark de Clive-Lowe - Heritage / picked by @Skalap

Vol. 1 - July 2019 /// Lou Reed - The Blue Mask / picked by @Murfocakes

Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted / picked by @Goatfish

Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee / picked by @Teeeee

Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la Isla - La Leyenda del Tiempo / picked by @agutierrezb

Vol. 5 - November 2019 - Ruen Brothers - All My Shades of Blue / picked by @ThePakoBuelna

Vol. 6 - December 2019 /// The Gloaming - 3 / picked by @Joe Mac

Vol. 7 - January 2020 /// Clarence Clarity - No Now / picked by @gaporter

Vol. 8 - February 2020 /// Ibeyi - Ash / picked by @ChristoBee

Vol. 9 - March 2020/// X Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents / picked by @girlnevergoesout

Vol. 10 - April 2020 /// Patrick Sweany - Every Hour Is A Dollar Gone / picked by @Crabbers

Vol.11 - May 2020 /// Kendra Morris - Mockingbird / picked by @AndySlash

Vol.12 - June 2020 /// Tortoise - TNT / picked by @sjaygray

So now all you sleuths, devils and booze hounds fire away!

I bought 6 by watching the threads, have a couple on my want list and need to listen to the rest. This is one of the coolest things we do here and I can't want for the upcoming picks!

I've been listening to a couple of N&G RotMs and they've all been amazing. I really enjoy how they explore different genres, so many great styles of music. 🎶🎉
As right now I'm also listening / relistening to many 2017 albums for the Album of 2017 thread and parallel check out some VMP records for potential swaps, I wasn't able to listen to all of them yet, but definitely will. I'm really looking forward to it as your curation is really good. 👍

Just a few words about my favorites so far.
I really enjoyed Nicole Atkins very much @Teeeee I never had heard of her before and it's an album I will try to get on vinyl the next months. Amazing voice and great songs. 💜

Also I really liked The Ruen Brothers a lot. Thanks very much to @ThePakoBuelna for picking this great record. 🎸❤️ Again I never had heard from them before and I will try to get their album on vinyl the next months. Such great songs.

Also thanks to @Skalap for choosing such a good record for the first curation. It's amazing music 🎼 and I like to listen to it more often. 🙂

Thanks to all involved in curating and guessing. I will definitely join the guessing of the next from the start. 🙂💜

I really enjoyed Nicole Atkins very much @Teeeee I never had heard of her before and it's an album I will try to get on vinyl the next months. Amazing voice and great songs. 💜

I came onto @Teeeee's pick late as well; my first N&G RotM I purchased when I started browsing the relevant threads. She is someone that I would likely never try on my own, and I was enamored immediately. Based on your input, keep an eye out for her new album Italian Ice out on Friday!

this is my own personal summary

7 AOTM bought
6 AOTM missing/outstanding
3 wrong/incorrect records acquired

Top 3

• Patrick Sweany/Every hour is a dollar gone
  • Lou Reed – The Blue Mask
  • Mark deClive-Lowe - Heritage
I have also compiled my own personal odyssey of the procurement (or attempt to) of each AOTM selection, as a EU (not UK) member.
I wish I could say I am Team No Swaps, but I failed.....

Easy peasy. Got both Heritage I and II, via HHV. I’m doing great!

My jumping the gun streak started soon. I went straight to amazon as this became the guess front runner. I was lucky, this was bought through and at a very decent price. And great album to boot!

Unable to find a copy at an “affordable” cost through the web, I am waiting like a panther ready to paunch.

Single Lock records came to help with this, with the amazing offer of free shipping for all members of N&G, including internationals! Got this album plus a couple more, and a T-shirt. A win!

The luck continues. I got one of the last copies of the green vinyl through Resident before it became a rarity and some dodgy Discogs flipper raised the price; so this has been secured too.

It must have been a lucky trio of months, this was also secured, at a decent price.

I convinced myself to have guessed the album correctly and run to order the 2nd album (2). The album was obviously amazing and pushed me to get another incredible Irish Trad release of 2020, Lankum, On the other hand, upon my mistake, I haven’t yet secured the correct AOTM version.

Unable to find it at reasonable price, this has been left waiting.

While in Boston, and visiting a Newbury Comics shop (the one in Cambridge) I got super excited when I found Ibeyi in the “3x2” albums section. So excited that I got (again) the incorrect album (it was the self titled). To add insult to injury the album is so warped that cannot even be used as a frisbee, and the download code included had expired at least 2 years ago.

The guesses in the thread were all over the place, when suddenly settled on Television – Marquee Moon. Driven by my impulse I went ahead and ordered it prior to announcement. It was not the right guess. I have a fantastic album nonetheless, so no complaints.

• I was the one that guessed it. And driven by my own excitement, I immediately went to HHV (the only record shop that had stock of it) to get my copy. It was, apparently, the last one available. @Crabbers kindly offered to send me the record but I let him save the money (shipping costs would have been unreasonable).
  • Vol. 11 – May 2020 : Mockingbird – Kendra Morris/ picked by @AndySlash
Unfortunately the album is NOT widely available and can be bought only directly from Kendra’s site. Shipping costs make this an unfeasible option, despite Kendra herself supporting the N&G forum by offering reduced rates.

• Vol. 12 – June 2020 : TNT – Tortoise / picked by @sjaygray
Let’s finish this round up with a great album. ThrillJockey was still sorting out their relocation issues, so I ordered through Juno, it arrived quickly and well before announcement.

this is my own personal summary

7 AOTM bought
6 AOTM missing/outstanding
3 wrong/incorrect records acquired

Top 3

• Patrick Sweany/Every hour is a dollar gone
  • Lou Reed – The Blue Mask
  • Mark deClive-Lowe - Heritage
I have also compiled my own personal odyssey of the procurement (or attempt to) of each AOTM selection, as a EU (not UK) member.
I wish I could say I am Team No Swaps, but I failed.....

Easy peasy. Got both Heritage I and II, via HHV. I’m doing great!

My jumping the gun streak started soon. I went straight to amazon as this became the guess front runner. I was lucky, this was bought through and at a very decent price. And great album to boot!

Unable to find a copy at an “affordable” cost through the web, I am waiting like a panther ready to paunch.

Single Lock records came to help with this, with the amazing offer of free shipping for all members of N&G, including internationals! Got this album plus a couple more, and a T-shirt. A win!

The luck continues. I got one of the last copies of the green vinyl through Resident before it became a rarity and some dodgy Discogs flipper raised the price; so this has been secured too.

It must have been a lucky trio of months, this was also secured, at a decent price.

I convinced myself to have guessed the album correctly and run to order the 2nd album (2). The album was obviously amazing and pushed me to get another incredible Irish Trad release of 2020, Lankum, On the other hand, upon my mistake, I haven’t yet secured the correct AOTM version.

Unable to find it at reasonable price, this has been left waiting.

While in Boston, and visiting a Newbury Comics shop (the one in Cambridge) I got super excited when I found Ibeyi in the “3x2” albums section. So excited that I got (again) the incorrect album (it was the self titled). To add insult to injury the album is so warped that cannot even be used as a frisbee, and the download code included had expired at least 2 years ago.

The guesses in the thread were all over the place, when suddenly settled on Television – Marquee Moon. Driven by my impulse I went ahead and ordered it prior to announcement. It was not the right guess. I have a fantastic album nonetheless, so no complaints.

• Vol. 10 - April 2020 : Every Hour Is A Dollar Gone - Patrick Sweany / picked by @Crabbers
  • I was the one that guessed it. And driven by my own excitement, I immediately went to HHV (the only record shop that had stock of it) to get my copy. It was, apparently, the last one available. @Crabbers kindly offered to send me the record but I let him save the money (shipping costs would have been unreasonable).
  • Vol. 11 – May 2020 : Mockingbird – Kendra Morris/ picked by @AndySlash
Unfortunately the album is NOT widely available and can be bought only directly from Kendra’s site. Shipping costs make this an unfeasible option, despite Kendra herself supporting the N&G forum by offering reduced rates.

• Vol. 12 – June 2020 : TNT – Tortoise / picked by @sjaygray
Let’s finish this round up with a great album. ThrillJockey was still sorting out their relocation issues, so I ordered through Juno, it arrived quickly and well before announcement.

Most emotional post ever (y)🍻🔥:love::ROFLMAO:😂:oops::(:mad:

(looks like a Nathan's post)

Back