N&G AoTM /// Vol. 57 - March 2024 /// Steely Dan - Can’t Buy a Thrill

This may actually be the first N&G AotM that I already own (edit: besides the one I chose, of course), although it is a pretty beat up copy from my Dad's old collection. It's very scratched and a lot of crackle even after it has been cleaned.

Since there are about a thousand different pressings, do you have a recommendation for a good quality pressing for a reasonable price? I am looking at the 50th anniversary edition for $30, but many places list it as backordered.

Cheers

Last edited:
This may actually be the first N&G AotM that I already own, although it is a pretty beat up copy from my Dad's old collection. It's very scratched and a lot of crackle even after it has been cleaned.

Since there are about a thousand different pressings, do you have a recommendation for a good quality pressing for a reasonable price? I am looking at the 50th anniversary edition for $30, but many places list it as backordered.

Cheers
Plaid has two copies left:

And it’s still available on Amazon as well

Plaid has two copies left:

And it’s still available on Amazon as well
Thanks!

... 1 left at Plaid

All right, time to start talking about all of this.

I’ll roadmap the clues later.

1710907651293.jpeg
Steely Dan - Can’t Buy a Thrill

There were two albums that I seriously considered when I got the call from @avecigrec - the first was Kym Register + Meltdown Rodeo’s Meltdown Rodeo. This record gets my highest recommendation, it was one of my favorites from last year.

The main reason I didn’t pick this is because it doesn’t really seem available outside the states and I didn’t want our friends abroad to have to pay exorbitant fees for it. Especially after @Joe Mac , @Dirtbag Auntie and @Yer Ol' Uncle D picked multiple albums.

If you really can’t find it in yourself to get with the Dan, feel free to get this instead.

Can’t Buy A Thrill was the other contender and I resisted it trying to think of other things and wasn’t sure until a couple weeks before that I was brave enough to pick it.

I’ve always liked Steely Dan. I knew all the hits. But I never really explored beyond Aja which has been a staple for me since well De La Soul, my favorite hip hop group of all time sampled them:

We pulled this in the generator project back in April:

I gave it a 3 at the time. However, I kept coming back to it. I found the search for a great sound compelling. Their stories are great and their humor is second to none.

I eventually embarked on a discography exploration (haven’t quite finished it). Picked up Quantum Criminals and another book, Major Dudes… I’m about halfway through both. They are very different methods at telling their story. QC uses the characters from their songs to tell the crazy ass biography of the band. MD uses reviews and interviews to tell the story of the band. It’s all fascinating.

Even after exploring the other records… I keep coming back to this one. The guitar work is impressive throughout and Fagan’s voice is tentative - he’s the reluctant frontman - but it is the voice of the band, its unique and works to counterbalance the otherwise immaculate music and production. It’s got all the feeling missing from other guy.

My hope was that some of the folks who hate them might trust me enough to give them another shot. That it might be a reprieve for those who were already entrenched and owned a copy or an excuse to snag a copy or upgrade to the AP, although the reissues from before that sound pretty great.

Give in to the Dan. It’s great music and a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Back