Musical Scumbags - The Name Them and Shame Them Thread

I know about Jerry Lee Lewis, but can't remember if I've heard about Chuck Berry's behaviors. What did he do?

Physical and sexual abuse allegations​

In 1987, Berry was charged with assaulting a woman at New York's Gramercy Park Hotel. He was accused of causing "lacerations of the mouth, requiring five stitches, two loose teeth, [and] contusions of the face." He pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of harassment and paid a $250 fine.[76] In 1990, he was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the bathroom of his restaurant. Berry claimed that he had had the camera installed to catch a worker who was suspected of stealing from the restaurant. Although his guilt was never proven in court, Berry opted for a class action settlement. One of his biographers, Bruce Pegg, estimated that it cost Berry over $1.2 million plus legal fees.[15] His lawyers said he had been the victim of a conspiracy to profit from his wealth.[15] During this time, Berry began using Wayne T. Schoeneberg as his legal counsel. Reportedly, a police raid on his house found intimate videotapes of women, one of whom was apparently a minor. Also found in the raid were 62 grams of marijuana. Felony drug and child abuse charges were filed. The child abuse charges were eventually dropped, and Berry agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor possession of marijuana. He was given a six month suspended jail sentence, placed on two years unsupervised probation, and was ordered to donate $5,000 to a local hospital.[77] Later, videos Berry recorded of himself urinating on a woman and another of her defecating on him would surface.

Physical and sexual abuse allegations​

In 1987, Berry was charged with assaulting a woman at New York's Gramercy Park Hotel. He was accused of causing "lacerations of the mouth, requiring five stitches, two loose teeth, [and] contusions of the face." He pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of harassment and paid a $250 fine.[76] In 1990, he was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the bathroom of his restaurant. Berry claimed that he had had the camera installed to catch a worker who was suspected of stealing from the restaurant. Although his guilt was never proven in court, Berry opted for a class action settlement. One of his biographers, Bruce Pegg, estimated that it cost Berry over $1.2 million plus legal fees.[15] His lawyers said he had been the victim of a conspiracy to profit from his wealth.[15] During this time, Berry began using Wayne T. Schoeneberg as his legal counsel. Reportedly, a police raid on his house found intimate videotapes of women, one of whom was apparently a minor. Also found in the raid were 62 grams of marijuana. Felony drug and child abuse charges were filed. The child abuse charges were eventually dropped, and Berry agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor possession of marijuana. He was given a six month suspended jail sentence, placed on two years unsupervised probation, and was ordered to donate $5,000 to a local hospital.[77] Later, videos Berry recorded of himself urinating on a woman and another of her defecating on him would surface.

Yikes, that is some disturbing stuff. This is some R. Kelly level stuff. I'd say that money makes a lot of people think they can get away with abhorrent behavior, but I know that a ton of poor men think the same way. The older I get the more I understand why there are women out there who are just completely over men altogether. Despite the countervailing trends of toxic men gaining in clout and political power, I hope that the better trend of men trying to hold other men accountable for these actions persists. We really need to do more as men to train our sons and nip that toxic shit in the bud. YouTube is really making that hard though with it's algorithm suggesting those kinds of videos next to Minecraft ones.

There was big sexual misconduct allegations a couple years ago that came out in the Minneapolis hip-hop ring. P.O.S, Prof, and Dem Atlas were the big ones I remember.

With the news breaking about Win Butler the other week I was thinking that this needed to be a thread. Let’s not forget the scumbag Ben Hopkins from PWR BTTM

Hate to say it, but Afrika Bambaataa

Hate to say it, but Afrika Bambaataa

KRS-One went to bat HARD defending Bambaataa when these allegations came out. I lost a lot of respect for The Teacher at that point.

As much as it pains me to write this, no Miles Davis?
When we get to jazz musicians pretty much any one of them you can think of that took hard drugs would steal, trick, and abuse people.

Charlie Parker would borrow instruments from his colleagues and friends and pawn them off to pay for drugs.

Art Pepper raped, robbed shops at gunpoint, and burgled houses.

Charles Mingus was a pimp and a bully - he punched Eric Dolphy violently in the head, and Jackie McLean pulled a knife on him after he punched him.

Fats Navarro tried smashing Bud Powell's (a pianist) hands with his trumpet, which could have ended his career.

Frank Rosolino shot his 2 young sons before killing himself.

Stan Getz was physically violent towards his wife.

The list unfortunately goes on....

When we get to jazz musicians pretty much any one of them you can think of that took hard drugs would steal, trick, and abuse people.

Charlie Parker would borrow instruments from his colleagues and friends and pawn them off to pay for drugs.

Art Pepper raped, robbed shops at gunpoint, and burgled houses.

Charles Mingus was a pimp and a bully - he punched Eric Dolphy violently in the head, and Jackie McLean pulled a knife on him after he punched him.

Fats Navarro tried smashing Bud Powell's (a pianist) hands with his trumpet, which could have ended his career.

Frank Rosolino shot his 2 young sons before killing himself.

Stan Getz was physically violent towards his wife.

The list unfortunately goes on....
I don't so much mind the stealing for drugs, but the violence and sexual assault is too much. The way domestic violence was so normalized in our very recent history makes me sick to my stomach.

his autobiography is really......interesting, shall we say.

his autobiography is really......interesting, shall we say.
I read a TON of jazz-related books and Mingus' biography is by far the worst I have read. It's almost nothing to do with jazz but is just full of stories that makes the guy come across as inhuman at every angle.

Back