Music you only got into because of vinyl

LeSamourai

What's a band or artist that you only got into because of vinyl?

For me, it's Beach House. I've known about them, and even liked their stuff well enough, but I never would have said they were one of my favorites. Then, I picked up their latest album, 7, on vinyl. Something about having to sit down in my living room and listening to it that way made it click. I went back and revisited their older albums and they worked for me in a way that they never had before.

(I don't think that it's really anything with the "vinyl sound" or anything, but rather that vinyl listening is "slow listening" for me- it's intentional. I have to pick it out, physically put it on, sit on the couch, and just listen.)

Last edited:
I would say, for me, my Jazz taste has been most affected by owning a record player. Before my girlfriend got me my LP60 my jazz knowledge was limited to the block buster albums and a large Spotify playlists of random tracks I discovered over the years. Having a record player has really encouraged me to start building it out and as a result it’s expanded by like 1000% and has very quickly risen to the top as my favorite music genre, ever.

I would say, for me, my Jazz taste has been most affected by owning a record player. Before my girlfriend got me my LP60 my jazz knowledge was limited to the block buster albums and a large Spotify playlists of random tracks I discovered over the years. Having a record player has really encouraged me to start building it out and as a result it’s expanded by like 1000% and has very quickly risen to the top as my favorite music genre, ever.
This is also me. I knew Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Mingus and Brubeck, but when I got into vinyl I found I could pick up pretty much any used jazz record at a record store and I would enjoy it, even if I knew nothing about the artist. It really started as a cheap way of discovering music and growing my collection, and some years later the most expensive records I've purchased are jazz albums.

Fela Kuti.

In 2013 a store I frequented had the 4x10” box of Black Man’s Cry. It was a price I was willing to pay and I love African music. Plus, his name was not new to me, even though his music was.

I didn’t realize the box was all covers, but it explained why some titles appeared more than once.

Within a week, I was trying to get my hands on anything I could :)

What's a band or artist that you only got into because of vinyl?

For me, it's Beach House. I've known about them, and even liked their stuff well enough, but I never would have said they were one of my favorites. Then, I picked up their latest album, 7, on vinyl. Something about having to sit down in my living room and listening to it that way made it click. I went back and revisited their older albums and they worked for me in a way that they never had before.

(I don't think that it's really anything with the "vinyl sound" or anything, but rather that vinyl listening is "slow listening" for me- it's intentional. I have to pick it out, physically put it on, sit on the couch, and just listen.)
I have the VMP offering of this Album and really have no desire to even open it. I may give it a listen in the weeks to follow. I don't even know the genre of music this would fall under. I know in general this is bad but I have so much stuff backlogged for at least 2 years I just never got ti it.

I have the VMP offering of this Album and really have no desire to even open it. I may give it a listen in the weeks to follow. I don't even know the genre of music this would fall under. I know in general this is bad but I have so much stuff backlogged for at least 2 years I just never got ti it.

I'd label it as indie rock/dream pop. And, I can totally see it not being somebody's thing. After all, they weren't my thing for years before this!

Well seeing as Id stopped buying music entirely for free streaming and downloads - Id say pretty much anything ive bought in the last 5 years comes under this category !

Virtual zero spend on music to number one on my hobby list (convincingly)

Back