Music in French?

"Je Dis Aime" by -M- has this great French cover of Close To Me... which is appropriate because -M- kind of feels like the French version of Robert Smith to me.

And last week, I came across a nice Metronomy cover by Clara Luciani.

Do you guys know of any other modern translated covers like these? I know there are tons from the 60's - not those - I'm asking about more recent songs covered by recent artists.

This is one of my favorite artists that sings in French. I should be getting this vinyl any day now.:

And for some more French pop, I have really enjoyed La Femme's album from earlier this year.

I also second the recommendation for Dominique Fils-Aime.

"Je Dis Aime" by -M- has this great French cover of Close To Me... which is appropriate because -M- kind of feels like the French version of Robert Smith to me.

And last week, I came across a nice Metronomy cover by Clara Luciani.

Do you guys know of any other modern translated covers like these? I know there are tons from the 60's - not those - I'm asking about more recent songs covered by recent artists.

not sure if you mean english song by french artist, but what immediately popped to my mind was Sophie Hunger’s cover of Noir Désir’s “Le vent nous portera”

The original:

Noir Désir is (was) a favorite of mine, but hard to listen to them now after the Cantat (accidentally) murdered his then partner french actress Marie Trintignant.

I actually now realize you were looking for french translated covers. I can’t come with one from the top of my head.
But I’ll suggest the opposite:
Jacques Brel:

And David Bowie:

@Turbo I woke up this morning with this song in my head:

And it made me remember this version from Jeanne Cherhal:

This is the type of translated cover I was looking for! They're curious and fun. Covers of english songs translated into french used to be common practice in the 60's but they seem a lot more rare these days.

Love the reverse too though - they seem more common, maybe? Thanks for sharing by the way!

Last edited:
I’m not overly familiar with French music, but this has been on my want list for a long long time…loved the movie and a great soundtrack. It’s never been reissued and not available to stream anywhere, so make do with a made up playlist.

I added a bunch of stuff to my francophone section. Just got two orders with 5 records plus another 3 I got before the holidays.

Feu! Chatterton "Palais D'argile" (2021) - electronic indie-style music from Paris.
Les Rita Mitsoukos "The No Comprendo" (1986) - classic french new-wave from Paris.

IMG_2107.JPG

La Femme "Paradigme" (2021) - psych-electro-punk band from western France, featured as the December N&G ROTM by @sarcasticfairyprincess
MC Solaar "Qui Sème Le Vent Récolte Le Tempo" (1991) - classic French hip-hop record

IMG_2110.JPG

Chocolat "Rencontrer Looloo" (2016) - psych rock from Montreal
Hubert Lenoir "Darlène" (2018) - glam rock from Quebec City. Think cross between T Rex, Bowie and Rufus Wainright. A modern Quebecois classic, winner and nominee for multiple prizes in 2019.

IMG_2108.JPG

Coeur De Pirate "Blonde" (2011) - Another modern Quebec classic. Indie-style singer/songwriter.
Corridor "Junior" (2019) - jangle pop from from Montreal, recommended earlier in this thread by @dansomeone

IMG_2109.JPG

Thought I'd add some samples from the above records, for those interested. Last track is a bonus from an album I have on preorder - Choses Sauvages is for fans of electropop like Nation of Language.

I added a bunch of stuff to my francophone section. Just got two orders with 5 records plus another 3 I got before the holidays.

Feu! Chatterton "Palais D'argile" (2021) - electronic indie-style music from Paris.
Les Rita Mitsoukos "The No Comprendo" (1986) - classic french new-wave from Paris.

View attachment 125657

La Femme "Paradigme" (2021) - psych-electro-punk band from western France, featured as the December N&G ROTM by @sarcasticfairyprincess
MC Solaar "Qui Sème Le Vent Récolte Le Tempo" (1991) - classic French hip-hop record

View attachment 125660

Chocolat "Rencontrer Looloo" (2016) - psych rock from Montreal
Hubert Lenoir "Darlène" (2018) - glam rock from Quebec City. Think cross between T Rex, Bowie and Rufus Wainright. A modern Quebecois classic, winner and nominee for multiple prizes in 2019.

View attachment 125658

Coeur De Pirate "Blonde" (2011) - Another modern Quebec classic. Indie-style singer/songwriter.
Corridor "Junior" (2019) - jangle pop from from Montreal, recommended earlier in this thread by @dansomeone

View attachment 125659
I need to check out that Coeur De Pirate!

This is one of my favorite albums in French, I first heard Autour de Lucie on a Wallpaper magazine cd in the late 90's. I would love to have it on vinyl one day!

Same. Love that record. It's on my list to get on vinyl too, but alas, it has not been pressed at all.

I also enjoy their 2004 self-titled record. "Personne N'est Comme Toi" is such a great track.

Back