Movies

I quite liked the Peele produced remake of Candyman

Candyman

Candyman

Candyman

šŸ™Š
Now you've done it! Well, my friend, this will be the first post I report on N&G.

Admittedly, I have not combed the TOS but I'm pretty sure enticing murderous urban legends is against it.

Yes, you only said it four times and I'm not up enough on my Candyland lore to know how they address modern day social media incantations (heck, me quoting your four times plus the original four may a full box of skittles make....effectively sending both of us up that proverbial chocolate river with no means of physical propulsion), but principles!

Wait, 3000 Years of Longing came out, and nobody has anything to say about it?

Thatā€™sā€¦not good.
The first trailer I saw gave it a VERY different tone than the second trailer I saw. The first one made it look very arthouse, the second one made it look less so.

I'm an escapist, so I don't like movies where the point is to induce anxiety or suspense. I simply don't want that. So I won't be seeing Nope, but I read the synopsis and on paper it sounds absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure it's handled well in film... But just reading the plot it sounds so dumb. Which almost makes me want to see it. I think it's kind of cool what a good director can do with visual storytelling. I wonder how many potentially amazing movies don't get made because the production company or investors just can't see the vision.

I was hyped to go see it but neither of the theaters close to me are showing it. So on top of invisible promo, this $60 million production is apparently getting a limited release.
Oooh, it's actually at my theater, but until I have a kid free day, I will have to wait for the streaming release.

Vengeance is pretty good with a lot of stuff I love about it...I just wouldn't say I loooooved the whole film.

The Black Phone also had aspects I liked, but ultimately I found it pretty lacking. I also didn't care much about the main characters, but loved The Grabber.

I think I've watched other stuff, but I can't even remember now.

About White Noise...i am interested in seeing it and hope it's good. But I gotta be honest, I read the book in college and hated it. I am not against post modernism by any means, something about it just really irritated me.

After an insane week that prevented me from even throwing on a movie in the background while I work, I finally fired up some streams again yesterday. Got a few trials/promos I want to milk for all their worth before they expire.

Started with Afflicted (2013) which was alright enough that I'm surprised the creators haven't done anything else. Found footage horror/action with a twist.

Then cued up one of the numerous recent moves with the name The Retreat. This one was the 2021 queer thriller on Showtime. It was fine. A lesbian couple takes a trip and becomes the target of a murderous troupe of rural serial killers. Standard fight for survival ensues.

Turned next to an A24 blindspot with mid90s which good. Enjoyed this slice-of-life period piece, navigating the social gray space of a newly turned teenager in LA.

Followed up with the Hungarian film The Turin Horse (2011) on MUBI based on a reco my partner received when looking for moody movies. This one was a winner. Gorgeously shot. Spacious script. Super oppressive chamber piece. I figured out the what was going on about halfway, which was pretty satisfying in its own rights because the movie doesn't go out of its way to explain much.

And to end the night with total whiplash, we threw on Sonic the Hedgehog 2 which did not work for me at all. Everything except Jim Carrey felt downgraded from the first film, and the script was a total unfunny mess. Won't be bothering with the third installment.

Last edited:
After an insane week that prevented me from even throwing on a movie in the background while I work, I finally fired up some streams again yesterday. Got a few trials/promos I want to milk for all their worth before they expire.

Started with Afflicted (2013) which was alright enough that I'm surprised the creators haven't done anything else. Found footage horror/action with a twist.

Then cued up one of the numerous recent moves with the name The Retreat. This one was the 2021 queer thriller on Showtime. It was fine. A lesbian couple takes a trip and becomes the target of a murderous troupe of rural serial killers. Standard fight for survival ensues.

Turned next to an A24 blindspot with mid90s which good. Enjoyed this slice-of-life period piece, navigating the social gray space of a newly turned teenager in LA.

Followed up with the Hungarian film The Turin Horse (2011) on MUBI based on a reco my partner received when looking for moody movies. This one was a winner. Gorgeously shot. Spacious script. Super oppressive chamber piece. I figured out the what was going on about halfway, which was pretty satisfying in its own rights because the movie doesn't go out of its way to explain much.

And to end the night with total whiplash, we threw on Sonic the Hedgehog 2 which did not work for me at all. Everything except Jim Carrey felt downgraded from the first film, and the script was a total unfunny mess. Won't be bothering with the third installment.

I keep telling myself that I need to cancel my Mubi subscription, but I keep finding things I love on there. Turin Horse has been on my list for a while, too.

My wife wasnā€™t as high on it as I was, but I have a weakness for the material. Itā€™s very much a story about stories, and how we reveal ourselves through the telling, the remembering, the retelling. And, in the end, itā€™s a sweet fairy tale about loneliness and contentment. The actors are great, and Millerā€™s visual imagination is deranged and delightful. Iā€™m glad he got to make it.

Back