Movies

Kinda movie adjacent here, but, we had some fun with this one in the office this week:

View attachment 33829

For the record...mine ended up being "Chain-smoking, interpretive dancer with an intense fear of butterflies".
A French binocular designer who’s escaping Switzerland 🇫🇷 👨‍🎨 🇨🇭
C’est qui le dinosaure sexists?

Still gotta recommend Burning. It's my favorite film from 2018, and one of my favorites of the decade. Slow burning (sorry), but completely enthralling. It also tackles class issues in a much different way than Parasite, but the parallels between the two in terms of similarity are kinda there. It's not as fun as Parasite is, but both deal with some aspects of South Korean culture, both involve main characters of different class standings, and both shift genres leading to satisfying and unexpected endings.

I have also seen Oldboy but never got around to the others in that series. I remember being kinda obsessed with it in high school though. Never saw the American remake, and I don't think I'm missing anything there. Oh, how much you wanna bet though that Parasite winds up getting an American remake at some point?
I think a parasite tv show is already in the works with Tilda Swindon on HBO

Last edited:
Not shocked. I am fully aware of how pretentious this sounds, but I don't think a lot of Americans "get"
Östlund's sense of humor because it's so Swedish. Most of the reviews of The Square really proved that to me. Will Ferrell's humor is so quintessentially American, not that I dislike him at all (I grew up with his movies) it just seems like a massive mismatch. That's sort of what bothers me about most American remakes, they just seek to aggressively normalize the film into our culture rather than celebrating what works across the cultures.

This just made me think of one of the weirdest American remakes of a foreign film- the 90s Nic Cage/Meg Ryan movie City of Angels. It's a remake of the beautiful Wings of Desire that somehow does the least American thing possible and changed the ending to make the movie a downer. But then again, swapping Nic Cage [sic] and the Bad Seeds for Goo Goo Dolls is a very American thing to do.

Last edited:
Nic Cage and the Bad Seeds
giphy.gif

We watched La La Land with the kids tonight. I forgot how much I liked that movie when it came out. Moonlight was great too and very deserving but part of me wishes La La Land won the best picture that year.
Unpopular opinion I think, but I also really like La La Land. Didn't care much for it the first time I saw it, but since then it's only grown on me. Now I really love it. It has problems, I suppose, but the feeling of it, and the emotion just works for me. I’m shocked how much I love it after being pretty disappointed with it initially.

So I've just watched Joker. It was ok? I don't know, I guess you must love DC universe to enjoy it more.
Phoenix's performance was good, but we have already seen a bunch of Jokers to know that you need to be over the top, acting like a sadistic bipolar and voila! You got the role.
What really surprised me is how boring is. Specially the direction. I mean, it's a movie about a mentally disturbed man, and the camera is always doing normal things, its never placed in particular positions, and it even feels the need to explain the whole stuff with the neighbor. We're not stupid, we already got it, why are you explaining it to us?
I felt it was slow and kinda boring in the middle, all the thing with Thomas Wayne that went nowhere could've been shorter. The music was great though.

But.
Living in a country that is contstantly about to explode (poverty, crime, insecurity, invest ability in every aspect of the life), the first half of the movie is really enjoyable. Not because of the movie itself, but because sometimes you need the shock that reminds you that you live in a society that is one Arthur away from becoming Gotham city.

When one kid goes over to someone's house to have a sleepover, the other kid gets to pick the dinner and movie for the night. The youngest (9) chose Moana. She loved that movie when it came out in 2016 and it was great rewatching it with her when she's a little bit older. It's really one of the best written Disney animated movies in a while. The music is great, of course because it's co-written by Lin Manuel Miranda. The animation is beautiful. Disney went to great lengths to be authentic with the songs, language, and culture. It's interesting that Zootopia which came out the same near never grabbed us the way Moana did.

Big Lebowski fans, there's a sweet Jeremy Fish (might know him from album artwork for Aesop Rock) poster up at Spoke Art. Edition of 180, signed by the artist
JeremyFish_768x.jpg

Back