Movies

Has anyone checked this service out? Just came across it and there are some things on there I'd like to see.

Has anyone checked this service out? Just came across it and there are some things on there I'd like to see.
It's been on my list to trial! Funeral Parade of Roses has been on my watchlist forever.

Furiosa. Fury Road was the chariot race, Furiosa is Ben-Hur in full.

In 3000 Years of Longing (truly a pandemic-era, We Shot Entirely on Stages, production), there's a shot of two older women looking out the windows of their flat. The squares of the windows don't match logical architecture, and the texture of the wall is mspaint-adjacent. Still, the effect is uncanny: you know you're looking an an effect, and the sheer disinterest in fidelity nullifies any complaint about it.

This is the visual approach to Furiosa; while Fury Road made hay out of actually driving a high-suspension car halfway off a ridge and rolling it, Furiosa is about compositing entire caravans of cars and tankers together. Miller continues his pivot towards images neither captured in-camera nor meant to feel as though they were.

I don't know what I think of the story; it was a modern blockbuster style epic: we meet our hero as a child when they meet the nemesis to whom they'll be emotionally and narratively chained for two and a half hours, we watch them learn competence and climb the long road to revenge. There's definitely a setpiece that, as it started, had me thinking "great, this must only be the end of act two;" I was a lot more aware of the plot mechanics than with Fury Road.

I liked it, I definitely say that much. I'd watched the OG Mad Max earlier in the day, and it's pretty impressive to think George Miller has gone from that offbeat near-future biker gang ozploitation movie to a full-on franchise with images and signifiers which the audience understands; even in just the past ten years we've reached a point where a War Boy is an instantly recognizable trope, you can show raiders overtaking a tanker from far away, and we can spend oodles of time with the Bullet Farmer without ever going "I'm sorry...the bullet farmer?"

Yeah, it's a shame he was a scummy dude. I enjoyed Supersize Me. Can't help but wonder if that contributed to his getting cancer.
Grain of salt; a big point on the podcast is that Spurlock was a lifelong alcoholic and the documentary elides that when the doctor claims a month of mcdonalds wrecked his liver.

IMG_7803.jpeg

Rank (Movie):
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
GoldenEye
Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Spy Who Loved Me
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
Live And Let Die
Moonraker