Movies

Watching Eileen tonight. For most of her career I didn't care for Anne Hathaway, but the last few years I've liked her more and more. Probably because of the roles she's taking on compared to earlier. But the whole cast is great in this one.
Love Moshfegh's work, looking forward to more of it getting the movie treatment.

Watching Eileen tonight. For most of her career I didn't care for Anne Hathaway, but the last few years I've liked her more and more. Probably because of the roles she's taking on compared to earlier. But the whole cast is great in this one.
I’m very curious to watch this as I love the book but can’t imagine how it all translates to screen. The writing is the real star of the story for me.

Watched "The Killer" - the David Fincher one (not John Woo - although I love that movie).
I liked watching it but overall I'm a bit disappointed (mostly because of high expectations). Don't get me wrong, it's well crafted and I was on edge most of the movie but just the overall story & vibe didn't mesh with me. I like the inner monologue in the beginning but it kinda went on for too long and got boring. I get that they're trying to get you in his mindset and to make you feel his boredom in a way but it doesn't make for a good watching experience. I think itwould have done better if they cut down the beginning and sprinkled his thoughts throughout the movie. They pretty much silenced his thoughts after the first scene which is weird. This makes the vibe of the movie really weird because it seems like they thought the beginning would explain his actions through the movie but I dont agree.

For the story, I guess it's mostly to do with how it ended. He kills everyone and he leaves the one guy who ordered his own hit? Like did he really need to off the taxi driver? Then he goes home? Like people know where you live dude, you just murdered two assassins, the lawyer who coordinates your efforts, and a slew of people along the way. The lawyer guy is right, you should be hiding. Anyways, I might rewatch at some point to see how i feel about it later.

Watched "The Killer" - the David Fincher one (not John Woo - although I love that movie).
I liked watching it but overall I'm a bit disappointed (mostly because of high expectations). Don't get me wrong, it's well crafted and I was on edge most of the movie but just the overall story & vibe didn't mesh with me. I like the inner monologue in the beginning but it kinda went on for too long and got boring. I get that they're trying to get you in his mindset and to make you feel his boredom in a way but it doesn't make for a good watching experience. I think itwould have done better if they cut down the beginning and sprinkled his thoughts throughout the movie. They pretty much silenced his thoughts after the first scene which is weird. This makes the vibe of the movie really weird because it seems like they thought the beginning would explain his actions through the movie but I dont agree.

For the story, I guess it's mostly to do with how it ended. He kills everyone and he leaves the one guy who ordered his own hit? Like did he really need to off the taxi driver? Then he goes home? Like people know where you live dude, you just murdered two assassins, the lawyer who coordinates your efforts, and a slew of people along the way. The lawyer guy is right, you should be hiding. Anyways, I might rewatch at some point to see how i feel about it later.
Pretty similar to my take on it too. I was left disappointed despite some quality pieces to it.

Didn’t love it either. Honestly surprised to see it in so many top 10 lists. I think it’s a pretty flat movie, visually and plot-wise. I enjoyed bits of it, but not the whole thing. And because of the love, I feel weird about sharing this opinion. I love Fincher’s movies. I think this is one of the worst he’s done.

Didn’t love it either. Honestly surprised to see it in so many top 10 lists. I think it’s a pretty flat movie, visually and plot-wise. I enjoyed bits of it, but not the whole thing. And because of the love, I feel weird about sharing this opinion. I love Fincher’s movies. I think this is one of the worst he’s done.
Honestly same. Love most of the stuff he's done - but Mank might be his worst for me. Probably because I also don't hold Citizen Kane with the same regards as everyone else either. Mank is the Citizen Kane of Fincher movies means something different for me lol.

Honestly same. Love most of the stuff he's done - but Mank might be his worst for me. Probably because I also don't hold Citizen Kane with the same regards as everyone else either. Mank is the Citizen Kane of Fincher movies means something different for me lol.
Agree there too. I never could finish Mank. Some day. But yeah I do not care for Citizen Kane. I get the technical achievements and whatnot, but I was so bored when I watched it.

Back