Movies

Finally saw Triangle of Sadness (thought it kind of sucked), and now I've seen every BP nominee, so here's my ranking.

1. TÀR (9/10)
2. The Banshees of Inisherin (8.5/10)
3. Everything Everywhere All at Once (8.5/10)
4. The Fabelmans (8/10)
5. Top Gun: Maverick (8/10)
6. Women Talking (7.5/10)
7. Avatar: The Way of Water (7.5/10)
8. All Quiet on the Western Front (7/10)
9. Triangle of Sadness (4.5/10)
10. Elvis (4/10)

Overall a pretty solid lineup imo. Especially compared to last year's.

Basically dimishing returns of First Reformed, but I still enjoyed it. The unhinged Willem Dafoe bits really make it stand out.
For some reason parts of the movie gave me David Lynch vibes like it was part of the Twin Peaks: The Return series. I don't know if it was the dialog or acting or the way some scenes were shot perhaps.

Are you not a fan of IB? Probably my favorite Tarantino film.
Wow. Feels like this is bordering on a Hot Take. Inglorious Basterds is top 5 Tarantino for me.
Hot take incoming:

It was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced in regards to movies, second only to Michael Crichton's: Timeline.

Tarantino films are akin to ruined orgasms for me, and that's not my kink. It's all build up with zero payoff. Just ambiguity or a feeling of "that's all?" I just accept that his storytelling style is not for me. Though I've heard good things about Django and have yet to see it.

Hot take incoming:

It was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced in regards to movies, second only to Michael Crichton's: Timeline.

Tarantino films are akin to ruined orgasms for me, and that's not my kink. It's all build up with zero payoff. Just ambiguity or a feeling of "that's all?" I just accept that his storytelling style is not for me. Though I've heard good things about Django and have yet to see it.
I've warmed over to IB more over the years, but I had a similar reaction to you: the setup promises a renegade gang of Jewish soldiers carving a bloody path of dead Nazis through Germany, but the Basterds themselves are kinda background characters to the real story. The story is more Shosanna's, and with her dying in the climax, the image of Hilter's face riddled with bullets feels oddly hollow. I've come around to that being a feature more than a bug, and when I consider Tarantino loves his dialogue, IB succeeds more as a dialogue movie than an action movie (imo).

It's my favourite novel.
Fair enough! That's exactly the kind of expectation I suspected. I'm unfortunately only familiar with Crichton's works through the adaptations (and his writerly reputation), so while I recognize other films based on his work as being likely better in nature, I found a lot of simple pleasures in Timeline.

Fair enough! That's exactly the kind of expectation I suspected. I'm unfortunately only familiar with Crichton's works through the adaptations (and his writerly reputation), so while I recognize other films based on his work as being likely better in nature, I found a lot of simple pleasures in Timeline.
I absolutely believe had I never read the novel and just seen the movie, my medieval obsessed adolescent self would have loved it. But I read the book first, so it did not live up to my expectations at all. I highly suggest the book if you enjoyed the movie.

Hot take incoming:

This is a wild take. The scene with Shoshanna's executed plan in the movie theater + Landa's punishment is maybe the most satisfying last 30 minutes of a movie ever for me. And the 2 hours before it are just air tight.

To each their own, though!

I've warmed over to IB more over the years, but I had a similar reaction to you: the setup promises a renegade gang of Jewish soldiers carving a bloody path of dead Nazis through Germany, but the Basterds themselves are kinda background characters to the real story. The story is more Shosanna's, and with her dying in the climax, the image of Hilter's face riddled with bullets feels oddly hollow. I've come around to that being a feature more than a bug, and when I consider Tarantino loves his dialogue, IB succeeds more as a dialogue movie than an action movie (imo).
Gotta love spoiler alerts for 14 year old movie.

Back