Movies

Oscar noms out!

Elated that Hsu and Mescal made it in. Lots of love for EEAAO, Banshees and All Quiet on the Western Front. Crazy that Riseborough managed to get in with her guerilla campaign though.

Only 2 BP noms I haven't seen are Triangle of Sadness and All Quiet, so will post my ranking when I see those later this week.

Elvis was such a bad movie, I don't get all the love it gets. I hope Son Lux wins one they're up for!
It's probably my least favorite BP nominee (haven't seen a couple tho) but even then I don't outright hate it like some recent best picture nominees (Bohemian Rhapsody, Joker, everything Adam McKay). I like Baz Lurhmann as a filmmaker generally too, so I can't knock it too hard.

I’d love a screenplay nod as well! I just rewatched it and was astounded how everything the first watch made me think on was clearly threaded throughout. I could find no fault with it.
I'm having some friends over to rewatch it this weekend, and I've been looking forward to it for like...a month. A great movie.

It's probably my least favorite BP nominee (haven't seen a couple tho) but even then I don't outright hate it like some recent best picture nominees (Bohemian Rhapsody, Joker, everything Adam McKay). I like Baz Lurhmann as a filmmaker generally too, so I can't knock it too hard.

The Big Short and Don't Look Up are borderline masterpieces. How dare you place their names next to the Joker and Bohemian 😘

Vice on the other hand...

I was waiting to get to a couple more films (namely Tar, Fablemans, Return to Seoul, X & Triangle of Sadness) before posting my favorites of 2022. But considering my 3 favorite films just got snubbed by the Oscars...

Tier 1: *****
1. Babylon
2. Aftersun
3. Moonage Daydream

Tier 2: ****1/2
4. The Banshees of Insherin
5. Everything Everywhere All At Once
6. Nope

Tier 3: ****
7. Bodies Bodies Bodies
8. The Northman
9. Barbarian
10. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
11. Decision to Leave
12. The Menu
13. Bones and All
14. Jackass Forever
15. Apocalypse Time

Film I hated that everyone loves- Top Gun Maverick

Film I have no interest in seeing- Avatar: Way of the Water

Most disappointing- Clerks 3 (the 2nd is mad underrated)

I'll update a 2nd time before the Oscars after I've actually caught up. I'm expecting to love Tar and Triangle.

The Big Short and Don't Look Up are borderline masterpieces. How dare you place their names next to the Joker and Bohemian 😘

Vice on the other hand...
Don't Look Up and Vice are insufferable garbage (imo). I liked The Big Short when it first came out, but I feel like if I rewatched it would be major diminishing returns.

Don't Look Up and Vice are insufferable garbage (imo). I liked The Big Short when it first came out, but I feel like if I rewatched it would be major diminishing returns.

You're not gonna get any argument from me that Vice is a flaming mess that deserved 0 recognition. But yeah, Don't Look Up has grown on me with each watch and I already liked it when I saw it in theaters.

Climate change is also my #1 policy issue other than maybe making being a billionaire illegal and South Park (and Dr. Strangelove) shaped my sense of humor so, I'm sort of target audience.... That said, my parents loved it too and they definitely aren't.

I generally don't care for Luhrmann's movies, they're pretty but weak on storytelling and depth of character. Tom Hanks was an over the top dumb cartoon villain in the movie Butler was at best a very good Elvis impersonator. There's just not enough about the actual person and his place in history, good and bad, in the movie. It was like Baz makes a highlight reel of Elvis while really making a movie about spectacle and how good Baz is at creating it on screen. I'd say maybe I need to re-watch it to be sure but that's the last thing I want to do lol.

Last edited:
I generally don't care for Luhrmann's movies, they're pretty but weak on storytelling and depth of character. Tom Hanks was an over the top dumb cartoon villain in the movie while Butler was at best a very good Elvis impersonator. There's just not enough about the actual person and his place in history, good and bad, in the movie. It was like Baz makes a highlight reel of Elvis while really making a movie about spectacle and how good Baz is at creating it on screen. I'd say maybe I need to re-watch it to be sure but that's the last thing I want to do lol.
I admire Lurhmann for how singular and maximalist his style is. He truly just makes whatever the fuck he wants however he wants. The problem with Elvis is that it's a wikipedia entry biopic and his aesthetic isn't enough this time to keep it interesting for almost 3 hours

Back