Movies

Disney has now announced that the rest of the fills coming out in 2021 will debut exclusively in theaters. There will no longer debut on Disney Plus at the same time, but rather 45 days later.

This decision likely has less to do with COVID and current conditions than it does to do with the lawsuit brought on by Black Widow's star Scarlett Johansson over Black Widow being released simultaneously on Disney + as in theaters directly impacting her salary.
This honestly bums me out, as I hate theaters and have always hated theaters... or rather the behaviour of some of the people that inevitably end up at them... The whole "Watch it at home!" thing was awesome during the pandemic. For some movies I don't even mind paying theater prices just to get to stay home but not have to wait three months and be out of the loop from all my friends who did go to the theater.

This honestly bums me out, as I hate theaters and have always hated theaters... or rather the behaviour of some of the people that inevitably end up at them... The whole "Watch it at home!" thing was awesome during the pandemic. For some movies I don't even mind paying theater prices just to get to stay home but not have to wait three months and be out of the loop from all my friends who did go to the theater.
The time frame between Theater and streaming has shrunk immensely. I bet you will be able to stream all the Disney movies (for a premium) a month after the premier date. I love going to the theater and though I won’t be going back until the mask mandates have subsided; I can appreciate that by giving the theater priority it will hopefully inspire some to head back to the theater so all the local movies don’t fold.

The time frame between Theater and streaming has shrunk immensely. I bet you will be able to stream all the Disney movies (for a premium) a month after the premier date. I love going to the theater and though I won’t be going back until the mask mandates have subsided; I can appreciate that by giving the theater priority it will hopefully inspire some to head back to the theater so all the local movies don’t fold.

We've gone back a couple of times now, but we choose times that will be fairly empty and live in an area with fairly high vaccination rates and low transmission.

45 days after the premiere actually. And yes, it will come at the same premium of $29.99. You should also be able to buy it from iTunes, Amazon and the alike at the 45 day mark with Early Access if they continue doing that with future films.

Regular release dates are still typically 12 to 16 weeks after they premiere in theaters. And that will be when you will be able to buy it digitally for normal price or on physical media.

The Doors Live At The Bowl 68' Special Edition One Night Only

I watched the Anthony Bourdain documentary last night. I'm a big fan of his and read Kitchen Confidential once a year. Anyone that has read the book will of picked up on his respect for people that lived life on the edge (the likes of Hunter S. Thompson come to mind) and when he died it was a massive shock, but the more I thought about it the more little signs became apparent. Its something that the documentary really picks up on incredibly well and it really is a harrowing watch at times, hits you right in the gut.

Anyone else joining in on the HoopTober challenge on Letterboxd? Just watched my first selection with Wes Craven's Deadly Blessing.

Back