Movies

Yeah, I fell for this as well, and the audio was complete shit on the a24 screening room thing on the roku app. The pre and post show thing were loud and clear and then I could barely hear the dialogue on the film with the tv turned all the way up. Thank god for the subtitles, or I would have been lost. Lesson learned...a24 screening room sucks...don't do it.
It was like that on web too. Interesting. Movie was good though!

Yeah, I fell for this as well, and the audio was complete shit on the a24 screening room thing on the roku app. The pre and post show thing were loud and clear and then I could barely hear the dialogue on the film with the tv turned all the way up. Thank god for the subtitles, or I would have been lost. Lesson learned...a24 screening room sucks...don't do it.
Had the same experience here, but I just turned the volume up during the movie and it was mostly fine. Still figuring out my thoughts about it.

But yeah I wasn't completely dissatisfied with the screening room, but I don't know that I would do it again, believing that VOD will be available so soon after. For me, staying up past 11:00 on a weekday and watching a movie is not the best way to experience it. I was pretty sleepy the whole time.

Broadcast News kinda rips, doesn’t it?
I always get the it mixed up with Network. Broadcast News is the James L. Brooks flick with Holly Hunter and Albert Brooks and Network is Peter Finch “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore” movie, right?

Regardless, they are both pretty great films.

Is it streaming anywhere?

We watched Vivo last night with our younger daughter. If you like animated movies and Lin Manuel Miranda, this is the movie for you. It had a very sweet story.

I always get the it mixed up with Network. Broadcast News is the James L. Brooks flick with Holly Hunter and Albert Brooks and Network is Peter Finch “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore” movie, right?

Regardless, they are both pretty great films.

Is it streaming anywhere?
Spot on.

I think Criterion Channel might have it right now? I watched it on my Plex server. Three perfect lead performances, a great script, confidant direction, and some excellent split-diopter shots for good measure.

Spot on.

I think Criterion Channel might have it right now? I watched it on my Plex server. Three perfect lead performances, a great script, confidant direction, and some excellent split-diopter shots for good measure.
I always forget I can check Letterboxd for this info too.
Looks Ike it’s currently streaming on HBO Max. I’ll have to try to sneak it in sometime this weekend.

Last edited:
Mulholland Drive whips an insane amount of ass, and I should have watched it years ago
The last third is bonkers surreal. You can tell where the TV pilot ends and the pivot to a movie “ending” begins. The first time I watched it (back when it was originally released on DVD) I really didn’t get it but my friend pointed out that it’s more like watching someone’s dream than a movie and that change of mindset really helped me come to enjoy Mullholland Drive (along with a lot of Lynch’s other work).

The last third is bonkers surreal. You can tell where the TV pilot ends and the pivot to a movie “ending” begins. The first time I watched it (back when it was originally released on DVD) I really didn’t get it but my friend pointed out that it’s more like watching someone’s dream than a movie and that change of mindset really helped me come to enjoy Mullholland Drive (along with a lot of Lynch’s other work).
Yeah, David Lynch is really all about the vibes. This is definitely one of his more accessible, I think. One of his only works that has a pretty straightforward interpretation and stays within the threshold of what an average audience can handle. Definitely easier to watch and more immediately satisfying than something like Lost Highway or Twin Peaks: the Return (peak bonkers surreal), which are both great in their own way.

Yeah, David Lynch is really all about the vibes. This is definitely one of his more accessible, I think. One of his only works that has a pretty straightforward interpretation and stays within the threshold of what an average audience can handle. Definitely easier to watch and more immediately satisfying than something like Lost Highway or Twin Peaks: the Return (peak bonkers surreal), which are both great in their own way.
I look at Twin Peaks: The Return as probably my favorite moment of "watching television" in my adult life. Just the anticipation of each episode for that whole summer, watching it after watching GoT season 7 episodes (which made season 7 look extra poor), trying to even guess where he was going to journey next. With the nature of most episodes having a band "perform" at the end, I was expecting the whole series to end with all the characters just staring at each other as the last 2/3 of NIN's "The Background World" played.

Back