Movies

Yes, and I don't always criticize movies for having muddled politics, but this movie practically invites it. I don't need movies to be "woke" but this is worse the more I think about it. A movie about the ACTUAL nomads (and not the ones that choose it because of pride or whatever) would have been much more interesting.
I haven’t read the book but based off of the way it was described I think it actually addresses people in a much more dire situation. There are moments where the film almost gets there but then it balks at laying on the misery. I think it would be a much bleaker film if it went that extra step but it would had been more honest. I still enjoyed it a great deal mainly because McDormand is fantastic the cinematography is visually stunning but I understand why the plot would be disappointing.

I haven’t read the book but based off of the way it was described I think it actually addresses people in a much more dire situation. There are moments where the film almost gets there but then it balks at laying on the misery. I think it would be a much bleaker film if it went that extra step but it would had been more honest. I still enjoyed it a great deal mainly because McDormand is fantastic the cinematography is visually stunning but I understand why the plot would be disappointing.
Yeah the only reason it's worth tackling like this because it has been billed as the consensus "best movie of the year". It's not bad at all I just think deserves criticism.

Also who paid for space grandpa from the Expanse's surgery?
Probably his extremely well off son. Seriously, they shot that home with the same eye they shot all the natural scenery, it was beautiful. Felt like I was flipping through a copy of Sunset magazine while waiting in line at the grocery store.

Yeah the only reason it's worth tackling like this because it has been billed as the consensus "best movie of the year". It's not bad at all I just think deserves criticism.
I can’t even say it’s “The Best” movie of 2020, because I have only seen like 3 new releases this past year. Pre-Covid I would go to the theater about once a week. This year, if I am gonna be at home l, I’d rather watch something critically acclaimed from the past that I haven’t seen them spending time with new stuff. I am sure once the academy awards are announced I will start seeking more of these flicks out but so far I haven’t seen many. Judas and The Black Messiah was pretty good but it felt like they were condensing too much story. It was kind of interesting to watch that and The Trial of the Chicago 7 within a few months of each other as they each references what was going n in the other.

I can’t even say it’s “The Best” movie of 2020, because I have only seen like 3 new releases this past year. Pre-Covid I would go to the theater about once a week. This year, if I am gonna be at home l, I’d rather watch something critically acclaimed from the past that I haven’t seen them spending time with new stuff. I am sure once the academy awards are announced I will start seeking more of these flicks out but so far I haven’t seen many. Judas and The Black Messiah was pretty good but it felt like they were condensing too much story. It was kind of interesting to watch that and The Trial of the Chicago 7 within a few months of each references what was going n in the other.
I've seen like 25. It's in the upper half but I liked Judas, Another Round, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, American Utopia, Boys State, First Cow, and Bacurau more. It's in the next tier with like The Nest.

I've seen like 25. It's in the upper half but I liked Judas, Another Round, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, American Utopia, Boys State, First Cow, and Bacurau more. It's in the next tier with like The Nest.
One Night in Miami and Sound of Metal, both on Amazon Prime, are definitely worth your time.
Me feverishly writing down recommendation...
CCEF6D83-CF4E-48D8-A641-2D90FDC86B20.gif

One Night in Miami was fantastic if you like movies where the characters have really passionate philosophical arguments and mercilessly call each other out on their own bs. Which is to say, it was my favorite film of the year. Great acting and chemistry across the cast, too.

last night, though, I watched The Little Things before it leaves HbO max and it was so boring and dumb. I’d seen the bad reviews but thought “well I like Rami Malek though, and it would be cool to see what he does next to Denzel Washington and Jared Leto” - I was very wrong - not cool at all. I honestly have zero desire now to see Rami Malek acting in anything ever again.

One Night in Miami was fantastic if you like movies where the characters have really passionate philosophical arguments and mercilessly call each other out on their own bs. Which is to say, it was my favorite film of the year. Great acting and chemistry across the cast, too.

last night, though, I watched The Little Things before it leaves HbO max and it was so boring and dumb. I’d seen the bad reviews but thought “well I like Rami Malek though, and it would be cool to see what he does next to Denzel Washington and Jared Leto” - I was very wrong - not cool at all. I honestly have zero desire now to see Rami Malek acting in anything ever again.
Yeah, I was on the fence about that one. I like a dark serial killer drama but to me it all looked pretty obvious a bit True Detective lite and I don’t think I can enjoy Jared Leto haming it up as a serial killer.

Back