Moon Audio

If you actually heard a MoFi, the “hassle” of taking a second or two to change the speed is more than worth it.

I’ll agree regarding any table that requires removal of the platter.
The MoFi is on my hit list when it comes to upgrade.
I also like the simplicity of some of the clearaudio tt's. You had any experience with them?

If you actually heard a MoFi, the “hassle” of taking a second or two to change the speed is more than worth it.

Yeah I get that, but I suppose we all have priorities in what we look for and it’s not like there is a lot of terrible tables in the £2k bracket. Plus wouldn’t it be boring if we all had the same system! That said I’m not in that market so this is all speculative from me.

Yeah I get that, but I suppose we all have priorities in what we look for and it’s not like there is a lot of terrible tables in the £2k bracket. Plus wouldn’t it be boring if we all had the same system! That said I’m not in that market so this is all speculative from me.

At the $2k price range, all of the choices are good. If I didn’t have the MoFi, I’d consider the Technics GR. I love my MoFi, so I’m good. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes their strength is their weakness:

MoFi:

Better platter

Manual speed change: nothing to break.

One piece arm for better rigidity.

One piece arm makes changing cartridges more difficult.

Continuous arm wiring for better signal transfer, but if it is damaged.....

Longer arm for lower tracking error.

Technics:

Speed change at the touch of a button. But if the electronics go south...

Detachable headshell is great, say a beater cartridge for rough albums or a different setups for stereo and mono records. Not a continuous run however..

Easier VTA adjustment

At the $2k price range, all of the choices are good. If I didn’t have the MoFi, I’d consider the Technics GR. I love my MoFi, so I’m good. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes their strength is their weakness:

MoFi:

Better platter

Manual speed change: nothing to break.

One piece arm for better rigidity.

One piece arm makes changing cartridges more difficult.

Continuous arm wiring for better signal transfer, but if it is damaged.....

Longer arm for lower tracking error.

Technics:

Speed change at the touch of a button. But if the electronics go south...

Detachable headshell is great, say a beater cartridge for rough albums or a different setups for stereo and mono records. Not a continuous run however..

Easier VTA adjustment

Those two are that close in price over there? There’s quite a difference here. From the UK where i tend buy, our market and choice is much smaller in Ireland, the GR is £1300 and the MoFi £2k. There are also a fair few modification companies that work with the GR, and it’s bigger brother, and the two things they seem to change first are the tonearm and moving the power supply off table.Pro-ject do an s-arm version of their Xtention 9 around that price too and it interests me quite a bit too and the Regas around that price get great reviews. That said, I’m just looking for fun, not buying in the short to medium term.

Those two are that close in price over there? There’s quite a difference here. From the UK where i tend buy, our market and choice is much smaller in Ireland, the GR is £1300 and the MoFi £2k. There are also a fair few modification companies that work with the GR, and it’s bigger brother, and the two things they seem to change first are the tonearm and moving the power supply off table.Pro-ject do an s-arm version of their Xtention 9 around that price too and it interests me quite a bit too and the Regas around that price get great reviews. That said, I’m just looking for fun, not buying in the short to medium term.

List price they are $300 apart, although when I bought the MoFi they were $100 apart.

The GR is $1699 here, but with some patience and use of coupons from online musical instrument shops, it can be had for under $1400.

Specs wise, they are competitive.

Yeah, I feel the same with the P3.
Not sure whether I'd want to fork out for the psu or just wait a couple of years and upgrade the tt for something manual.
Love the look of the P6 but all my gear is silver or white! Haha!
Get the psu! From what I’ve read it’s a great upgrade so again might be worth it for an intermediary step.

The P6 is nice, I had a demo before I purchased my LP12.

Well I've all but decided it is time for the Cambridge to go. Have to wait before it can be repaired but hopefully in a couple of months I'll be able to get the Moon 240i.
Insight will hopefully follow as the next step up from the Vinnie!

This is why I purchased the mofi. I still have my EAT TT, but picking up the platter to change the belt sucks. So I can attest to the Mofi design making the belt easier to switch.

Moon by SImaudio is a Canadian manufacturer of high-end audio. I've auditioned some there gear notably their integrated amplifiers and their pre-amps (not that I can afford them) and they sound absolutely fantastic 👏 As for their phono stages whether it be the Moon 310lp or it's baby brother the 110lp V2 I have no experience with them but I've heard nothing but praise 🙌

Back