MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Things I did to chase a buzz/static out of my system:

• Made sure my TT was as far as possible away from my amp.
• Made sure my TT was far away from any sort of AC/Heater vent
• Invested in higher quality RFI blocking interconnects between my TT and phono
• Organized my interconnects + power cables in the back of the cabinet to have as little cable cross over as possible. A lot of noise was coming from cables being jumbled up behind my cabinet
• Bought a surge protector/power conditioner
• Ran an extension cord from my power conditioner to a different outlet (everything was plugged into a wall that contained a central heating/cooling unit and I feel like that added noise into the line somehow)
• I put a little rubber bit on the end of my head shell handle because my speakers would buzz anytime I touched the tonearm
• Cleaned the headshell, connectors, and tonearm with a q tip 😂
• Opened the windows after a couple months with them closed cause winter (idk if this helped but I swear this sucked the static out of the room somehow). Perhaps some audiophile superstition 😂

I don’t know which of those worked in eliminating unwanted noise + static out of my system but now it’s all gone and I’m happy as a clam. I still get static pops from time to time when I flip my record or remove it from the mat, but I’m not sure that’s something one can help? Anyways, try out what you haven’t tried and hopefully something does the trick for you.
Have you tried any other speakers in your system other than the Whardale Linton? How do those sound to you? How would you describe it? I have a denon x4400H and Emotiva XPA 5 gen 3 that I was thinking of pairing with them

Mentioning the brush gives me an idea that doesn’t require wiring. I remember seeing a video ages ago about how to use a carbon fiber brush for antistatic purposes. The video said to start the brushing of the record from the spindle out to the edge of the record. I never tried it (and have never really had this much static build up either) because I have a nice plastic spindle on the u-turn

Couldn’t hurt anyhow.
This is the method I use everytime I play a record and if definitely helps drastically is not entirely

Isn't the Precisiondeck "Limited Edition"? They still need something in between and also something on the low end to replace the Studiodeck (which now appears discontinued). They're saying December release on the Masterdeck, so maybe a couple more varients are in the pipe.

I am rather curious about the new tonearm, but they don't really say anything meaningful that I can see. Looks to be carbon fiber. Looks to be lower mass. What about the bearings? Nothing technical or even marketing speak to decode. I also wonder if they will offer it as a retrofit to the older 'decks. Might be interested in that, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I was attempting to purchase a Studiodeck a few weeks ago. Audio Advice told me the Mofi is planning to release the new version in September this year. That's why everyone has cleared their stock.
Did you get a feel that this was an updated Studiodeck , or just another new TT at a to be determined price point.

Back